“Great value stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Bolton
“Great value stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed at the crown with friends on a Saturday night. We each had our own room of varying sizes. Mine was a good double, definitely plenty of room for one and very attractive. No view at all but as it is dark most of the time you are in a hotel room in November, this didn't really matter. Lovely breakfast in the morning, and all for only £70. Only gripe is that some of the corridors and stairways are looking quite tatty, but this is an old building and some wear and tear is only to be expected. Will be returning next year.

• Stayed November 2013
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear LizCumbo
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you not only enjoyed your stay but that you intend to return next year.
The number of front facing rooms we have are few, although the majority of the bedrooms do have a view of the Harrogate skyline. A few rooms do not have a view at all unfortunately but as you so rightly point out, on a dark winter's night this was not an issue for you.
I am sorry that you found the corridors a bit worn however we are looking to reburbish the rooms in the near future and this will include the corridors.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crown Hotel next year.
Guests Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
n.lincs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Very good hotel we will use again.Had no trouble parking on the street behind the hotel.Best location with everything within a short stroll.Very friendly staff on front desk.My wife and I stayed in room 121 and it was huge with a very nice view.Only small niggle was the room was very warm.We tried the hotel bar and was very impressed.Breakfast was well worth the small extra charge.
Only thing I don't quite understand is its cheaper to book via a third party than direct on the hotels own website.Especially when the third party receives a commission from the hotel??

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear andy36
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
Room 121 is a popular room which s large and airy and has a view of the floral Crown Roundabout, however it may sometimes feel a bit warm because of the large bay windows.There are fans available from housekeeping should guests request one.
I am pleased that you found some local parking and as the hotel is fairly central it is easy to park and walk into the town centre for the shops.
Rooms booked through the Crown website are cheaper than other sites online and if people ring asking for rates we always quote rates which include breakfast, rather than room only rates or advanced purchase which is slightly cheaper. We will always match prices seen on the websites.
I do hope that should you return to Harrogate, you stay with us at the Crown again.
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Crown is a hotel that has many years of interesting history. The public rooms are splendid and the bedrooms are of good proportion. The bedroom we had included a king size bed with exceptionally good mattress. Breakfast was very good the bacon is superb. We ate two nights in the restaurant and the menus were good and varied. Look forward to a return trip

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JohnSkipsey
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Crown and that you hope to make a return visit.
I am pleased that you enjoyed not only the breakfast, but also the food in the restaurant. The chefs are proud of the quality of dishes they serve and use as much locally produced food as they can including the bacon at breakfast.
I am also pleased that you had a good night's sleep while you were here and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed from friday 22nd to Sunday 24th November, overall a very good stay. Checking in and out was very quick, the receptionists were polite. We stayed in a standard double room with squeaky floorboards which were a little disconcerting at first. Although the room was at the front of the hotel we heard very little traffic noise and the view of traditional fronted shops and the parkland beyond the roundabout was a very pleasant surprise. One small gripe we had was that only one person at a time could use the room wifi. We were aware from the website that on site parking is limited so were very happy when advised that a local hotel (The White Hart) had parking spaces we could use at £6.00 per night. However we were not told that additional charges would be incurred after 10 am, we ended up paying an additional £12 for a 20 minute overstay. The breakfast was excellent, we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We loved the room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gill P
Thank you for finding time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. A lot of guests like the front facing rooms and the view of the Crown roundabout complete with the Jubilee Crown and flowers, however there are, unfortunately, only a limited number of these rooms.
Wi-fi is free at the hotel and each room has it's own particular code but for one device only. Any further codes can be obtained by calling reception. If you stay with us again please ask for another code when you check in so that you can use more devices should you wish.
I have been in touch with the White Hart about the extra you were charged for parking your car and it is a new policy to charge extra if cars are parked there before 6pm. I am sorry that we were not aware of this change and this new information has been passed to all Crown staff who work on reception.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and I shall pass your comments on to the chefs and hope that should you stay again, your visit will be as enjoyable as this has been.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Came here with my spouse to do some Christmas shopping while he was at a conference.
Great location 2mins walk from the centre if Harrogate.
Our room was a basic twin but spacious and spotlessly clean.
We had breakfast in the wonderful dining room..wow and the food was plentiful and well prepared.
Highly recommend this hotel....

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear MamaDav
Thank you for writing a review of the hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here.
I have let the Head Housekeeper know that you posted positve cooments about the cleanliness of the room which no doubt she will pass on to her team. I have also made the Head Chef aware that yet more guests have enjoyed the breakfast his chefs produce.
I hope that next time you come to Harrogate you will stay at the Crown again to enjoy the food and the shopping.
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with friends for a weekend break.

Rooms were spacious and clean. Everything needed for an overnight stay. Really close to centre and walking distance for bars/shops.

Breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear hesastar2
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Crown Hotel.
I have passed your comment about the cleanliness of the room to the Head Housekeeper as she will be pleased that you have remarked on it. I will also let the chefs know that you enjoyed your breakfast.
The hotel is only minutes away from the town centre and there are many independant shops along the way and I do hope that should you come to Harrogate again, you also make a return visit to the Crown.
Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went to a conference and hotel was booked for me. Looked grand but rooms were from the 50's. Breakfast however was excellent with the best black pudding I have ever eaten. Whilst I am sure a coincidence I found out an hour after checking in that my credit card had been cloned.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear coppindm
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Crown.
I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and since our chefs have started making the black pudding themselves we have had many compliments about the taste. I am sorry that you did not like the bedrooom decor however we are looking to refurbish them in the near future.
There is not an issue with card cloning at this hotel and as we have not heard from you I am presuming that you have resolved the problem, however should the matter still be troubling you then please feel free to contact me by phone or send an e-mail to servicemanager@crownhotelharrogate.com
Guest Services

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!