“Business” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Reading, United Kingdom
“Business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here to attend an exhibition just down the road. We had stayed here a couple of years ago and found it much changed. It's under new management. You pay a parking fee now for using the car park. And it seems most rooms are designed for less able people or just because I turned up in a wheelchair they assumed I needed help - not always the case but still. The rooms were clean although are view out the window was nil to be honest but it served our purpose.

We had dinner in the restaurant. The food was good and neatly displayed as was breakfast in the morning. Sadly unless we missed it, there seemed no longer to be chill out areas for informal meetings if you needed it. Breakfast is from 7.30 until 9.30 and has changed again from what we knew a year or so go, However the food was beautifully presented and ample. They do a small continental buffet and it is small as I assume most people choose the cooked breakfasts.

Would I stay here again - yes I would as it was convenient for our needs.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
16 September 2013
Dear agriffithsHendon
Thank you very much for your review of The Crown Hotel, however I am not entirely sure you have commented on the right hotel.
The Crown has been under the same management since 2005 and does not, and never has charged for car parking. Our breakfast times are from 7am until 9.30 during the week and 7.30 to 10am at weekends, and our continental buffet selection is extensive one, which we at the hotel,are rather proud of:- bowls of fresh fruit, cheeses, cooked meats, Danish pastries, croissants, cereals, as well as plain yoghurt with nuts and fruit to suit your taste.
Perhaps if you do return to Harrogate you will give us a try.
Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Larne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel is very cntral to town centre and local attractions. It is an old hotel therefore has characteristic features like creaking floorboards etc! My room was large and clean. Bathroom was obviously refurbished recently and spotless. I ate breakfast and dinner in the hotel. Both meals were lovely, good quality and plentiful. Special mention of Laurence in the bar - a very friendly and helpful young man who made the evening more pleasant. Parking was not a problem as I didn't have a car although parking would be an issue for those driving.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
16 September 2013
Dear footballmollie
Thank you very much for your review of the Crown Hotel and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and have taken the trouble to write a review.
I have passed your praise on to Laurence, who was happy that you had remembered him and
I hope that we see you back at the Crown Hotel in the future.
Guest Services Manager
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous, and has so much history. We stayed here for 5 days. There isn't a whole lot of parking, but there was only one night when we couldn't find a spot.

We had a triple room, and it was nice and large. There was plenty of room for the three of us and our luggage. The only complaints I had were a kind of noisy bed and that it was toasty. The window would only open a tiny bit, and there was no a/c. It wasn't too horrible in September, but I can imagine it would be quite uncomfortable in the summer.

The location is great, it's very easy to walk to a number of shops and restaurants.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the owner even gave us an impromptu tour of the hotel one day!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Kbochick
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Crown Hotel and especially it's history. I am sorry that you found the bed a bit noisey and I will mention this to the Head Housekeeper to see if the matress is in need of changing. We do have fans available should the rooms become warm (toasty is a lovely expression and says it all!)as we don't have air conditioning in the hotel. Should you make a return trip to England and Yorkshire I hope that you stay with us again.
Godalming, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We got a good price and a spacious, clean, superior double. Had to shut the windows because we faced the road, so it was very hot - no cooling or air con available. The bar advertised for residents remained closed in the evening long after advertised opening time. The position was excellent - close to the wonderful Turkish Baths.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony R
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you liked your room and the hotel. Our front facing rooms are popular although there can be noise from traffic from time to time. Although the hotel doesn't have air conditioning we do have fans should guests need them. Henry's Bar opens at 1 o'clock when the Place Bar and Bistro closes and I am sorry that this did not happen while you were here. I will speak to the Night Manager to ensure that Henry's Bar always opens on time. I hope that you make a return visit and enjoy your stay again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. Lovely central location. Hotel is old but has a certain charm. Everywhere was very clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. We were on the August DBB package and felt this was very good value. The breakfast was lovely and we were spoiled for choice for dinner. Really liked Harrogate and would like to return. Would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarah P
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am so glad that you liked the hotel. I will pass your comments about the food to the kitchen team and let the Head Housekeeper know that you thought the rooms clean. Harrogate is a beautiful town and I hope that your return visit will be to The Crown and that we can maintain the standards that you enjoyed.
Southampton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed in the Crown Hotel for a wedding in a twin room and thought the hotel very pleasant. The rooms were a good size, clean and with none of the heat issues described in other reviews. Bathrooms were very clean and well stocked. You can tell the hotel has a lot of history and is old, but I don't think that detracts from the cleanliness or quality of decor. All in all I had a very pleasant stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Hotbox
Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Crown Hotel is a very old building and we include a history of it in the Guest Information folder in the rooms, which a lot of visitors find interesting. Our Head Housekeeper takes pride in the bedrooms and their cleanliness so I will pass your comments to her. I hope that you make a return visit and enjoy your stay again.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Several of us stayed here for a hen party on 20th July. The room was clean and large, but it was somewhat dated and incredibly hot, as was the same in all the rooms taken by our party. The windows only opened a few inches and no fresh air could come into the room. Though it wasn't any where near the hottest weekend we've had this year, the room was stuffy and far too hot, despite having a fan washing over us all night and sleeping on top of the beds. Staff were apologetic and provided a fan and tried to see if an alternative room was available (none were) but it was not conducive to a pleasant stay.
Breakfast was average - croissants kept running out then came out very undercooked, sausages ran out, and the toaster kept breaking.
Overall, disappointing. I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: If you like it hot and stuffy take any room!