“Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for business over a few months and the staff were amazing.
Looked after me and kept the same room for me week after week.
I enjoyed my stay and will miss them.
Excellent location and right in the center of everything.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Pay75,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. Thank you also for chossing us as your preferred hotel while working in the area.

Our staff are a great team and it doesn;t surprise me that they looked after you so well. I am a very fortunate person to have them.

Perhaps you should revisit us for leisure next time. The daily direct trains to and from Kings Cross are continuing as so popular and next month BA restarts direct scheduled flights to Heathrow from Leeds Bradford Airport. There's no reason not to escape the City.

Many thanks, Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Rugeley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Despite torrential rain, my stay at the hotel was made very comfortable by caring, attentive staff. Rooms were tidy and spacious, the food very good, and the leisure centre clean and refreshing. One issue was the accessibility of the Harrogate Show halls - irritatingly, one must walk almost a full circle taking 15 minutes just to get to the main entrance: if you want to be there in a hurry, stay at the Holiday Inn! The Majestic should secure more rapid direct access into a dedicated entrance, or operate a shuttle in bad weather.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Loopride,

thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff attentive.

For access to the Harrogate Centre, which we overlook, you do have to walk to one of the 4 different entrances, so it does depend which section your event is in. We do have brollies at Reception to borrow.

There are plans for an entrance on the hotel side though not for a little while.

Being Harroagte, it rarely rains so you're unlikely to have a similar issue when you next visit !

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed over two nights 19th-21st October for work purposes for a conference. Was attracted by the four stars and the proximity to the Harrogate International Conference Centre, was indeed only a five minute walk around the corner. Equally is a good short distance from Harrogate town centre too (10min walk). Having got there I did see Holiday Inn is even closer, having a connecting tunnel to HICC!!! Several B&Bs opposite HICC too were closer than the Majestic.

On arrival, found the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Really liked them as they were helpful throughout my stay. The keycard for my room stopped working a few times, perhaps due to close proximity I kept it in regards to my mobile phone, and reception resolved this immediately. Asked reception staff for directions, and on another occasion for information about the hotel and both times they were friendly and made me feel comfortable. Check out was a smooth and trouble free period. It was busy as all conference delegates were leaving, I was in a queue of about 10people, but both reception ladies worked quickly and I was seen within only about 5minutes which was impressive. Would probably go on to say that the reception staff were the best staff in the whole hotel, and some of the best reception staff I've met at any hotel. Well done to the women who I met there. They were the best part of my stay.

On arrival saw car park charged £3.50/night. Did find that this gave me the impression of odd/unusual/greedy of hotel, as stated by other reviewers. Not normal practice of numerous other hotels I have stayed in the past, but maybe this is a Harrogate thing I don't know. Will not re-iterate other comments already made as is clear that manager/hotel will not be changing this carpark charging policy despite customer opinion. If there is a problem with non-guests using car park, surely would be more "guest-friendly" to issue permits to guests? plenty of other ideas than simply going for an easy option of charging car park to guests - if it is completely necessary then personally I'd rather have it included into price of stay from the beginning.

Went upto my single room on the third floor. Was very small, like a box room. However it was cosy, and was generally clean. Did not have much of a view, this did not concern me as I was at conference for most of day, and this was a business stay not a leisure stay. If you do stay for leisure I would recommend asking for a room with a view over their lovely gardens. The scenic gardens are beautiful, even on a cold October day!

The four main negatives of my room were:
1. the drinking glass provided in the bathroom was dirty - it had a lot of dried toothpaste at the bottom of it. This really did put me off and obviously I could not use it.
2. the dustbin in the bathroom did not work. The pedal you push at the bottom to lift the lid did not have that effect, and so I was bending down frequently to lift the lid manually. the one in the bedroom worked fine.
3. there is seriously not enough light in the room. There is no main ceiling light in the room which was inconvenient. I had to switch all three wall and table lamps and it was still a bit dark. This was echoed by my colleagues on other floors in other rooms - is this a dark themed hotel or something? did we miss this info??
4 lastly the walls were thin and I could hear tv of my neighbour. thankfully it was a colleague and we developed a wall knocking system to let each other know if volume was too high! this was amusing for us but i can imagine it being awkward if you are here to relax.

That said I slept really well in the clean bed which I was pleased to see had both one feather pillow and one normal pillow as I can't sleep with feather pillows this was great that I had the other option. The heating worked really well which I switched on all day and kept my room toasty warm. I had no problems with the great sized tv. I enjoyed the use of the small bedside table which was convenient, and I liked having the lamp switch by my headboard which again was convenient. The office desk was useful. There is a full length mirror which was great, as well as a large bathroom mirror and a third one by the desk.

I loved the breakfast buffet spread provided. food quality and choice was excellent. good selection of breads and cereals as well as hot english breakfast. One of the best breakfasts I've had at a large hotel. Staff on the whole good at breakfast- helpful and friendly. Only one morning of the two where my hot chocolate was given to a bemused couple next to me and I had to ask the lady again for mine.

During our gala dinner on Saturday night staff were again on the whole helpful and friendly, I requested more potatoes if possible for our table and after initially refusing waitress did in the end come back with a portion for which we were grateful.

I do agree with other reviewers that the pool and changing rooms in the hotel are not the nicest. I thought having a beauty room they would be like many other spa hotels I've visited with nice pool and sauna areas that are glamourous. But the facilities are basic, small sauna compared to health spa hotels, which of course it is not. Probably my fault for having those expectations. Showers in ladies are very much like a local leisure centre. Gym looked small but ok. Nice to get free towels. Unfortunately also when I went to use it on the Saturday night I was told that the jacuzzi was not working :( However the boy on the desk was very friendly and helpful. Remember to take a pound for the lockers - reception were kind enough to give me change.

Overall the service was excellent by all the staff - they are the part of the hotel experience that are definitely worthy of four star. Shame about the little things that let the room and hotel down, but then again it is the little things that make a difference to a hotel stay.

I would say to the manager who I'm sure will state that my complaint/constructive comments were not made formally during my stay, but quite frankly, like most British people I hate complaining in person - I genuinely never want to offend any staff, I don't want come across as moany, I don't want to come across as though I am wanting a free/discounted stay, I think problems should be identified by your own staff and not have to come from dissatisfied guests, people don't want to complain as we do worry that the staff will then inevitably talk about you and more inclined to be rude/deliver below par service to you from that point owwards and lastly I don't want to complain and ruin my own weekend.

Judging from the defensive and dismissive comments by the manager to previous dissatisfied reviewers, I don't expect any changes to be made following my comments either, so I would advise others to consider a stay here based on your priorities. It is not the sort of hotel I wouls choose for a social stay, but would stay on business if company paying. As I suggested in the title I would not be happy to stay here and have to pay with my own hard-earned money. Despite excellent service, I could not recommend the majestic for a social visit, only could say it was adequate for paid for business visit following my experience, for the current rates advertised and as a four star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear ballroo,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I must say, that I found your review balanced and reasonable and enjoyed reading it.

To read that the Receptionists were the best you'd come across in any hotel and that the breakfast was one of the best you'd had in a large hotel, was very gratifying.

I am sorry for the shortcomings in standards in your room and to be fair we are in the process of finding the offending bin and replacing it. Thankfully we have very few singles on the third floor. Once located we will review the lighting to see if any imporvement is possible, even if just by upgrading the lightbulb output.

Your comments on complaining I fully endorse. When there are just minor issues then it should be our responsibility to pick them up and I wouldn't expect a guest to formally complain over them. My difficulty is with a reviewer who says their break was totally ruined for reasons not reported, this I find difficult. Your comments were constructive and helpful and I appreciated reading them as I'm sure will others.

Our rates (as with most hotels) fluctuate with demand and we do have some great offers on our website which would I'd hope add appeal to a social visit.

Again, my thanks for your extensive review, Vince
Wisbech Saint Mary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Husband and I originally booked for 2 nights at the Majestic but enjoyed it so much we stayed another night.
Had booked a premium room and were not dissapointed.
Arrival and book-in at hotel were very smooth. Staff could not have been more helpful and we felt at home right away.
Room was very clean, modern and very comfortable. Two lovely fluffy bathrobes and slippers on the bed and fluffy white towels in the en-suite. Shelf full of toiletries and anyhting else you often forget to pack-toothpaste, comb, razor etc. Great.
Bar staff very obliging-we had bottle of wine in our room one night and bar staff provided bucket of ice, glasses and linen napkin to go with it.
Restaurant staff work very fast and efficiently-have never seen a table cleared and re-set so fast-great teamwork.
They made it look so effortlessly-have obviously been trained well.
Breakfasts are very very good. Lots to choose from-if anyone is dissapointed with breakfast I dont know what else they could want.
Pool looks very good although we forgot to take our cossies-we wont forget next time.
Housekeeping staff also deserve recognition for the quiet and efficient way they work.
The bed in our roon (237) was excellent-as good as any hotel bed I have ever slept in.
Town is only a few minutes walk through the lovely gardens so no need to take the car.
Several good restaurants in the area-really good Thai only a few minutes walk away-Sukothai.
As I have said with my previous reviews-I can only write how WE found it and our views may differ from yours, it wouldnt do for us all to be the same would it?
The Majestic is a grand old lady in Harrogate-stately and impossing but very dignified and has a great soul.
I can imagine Edward V11 staying there with one of his lady 'friends' in the early 1900's
If you want modern, minimalist chic then perhaps the Majestic is not for you BUT if you want an hotel that treats guests as friends, looks after you and respects your being there please try it.
The Puma group have obviously spent a lot of money on refurbishing the hotel and it really shows

Room Tip: 237 very spacious-overlooks the gardens and scenic view of the town
Dear ginpamcam,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your break so much that you added an extra night. It's a great pleasure to read of your experience and thank you for sharing your praise as all our departments play an important part in our overall guest service.

Most pleasing is that you felt at home and looked after.

Thank you for sharing your experience and hoping we can welcome you back soon.

Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a very pleasant 3 day break at The Majestic on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis. We were given a lovely spacious room overlooking the garden & town. All the hotel staff were very friendly, courteous and attentative. The food from the three course dinner menu was of a good standard but more choice on the main course dishes would help, two vegetarian options left only a choice of three remaining dishes. Breakfast however was completely different, although it was buffet service it offered a superb choice with surprisingly smoked salmon available every morning of our stay normally at most hotels this would warrant a surcharge, but one glaring ommission NO BLACK PUDDING (in Yorkshire unbelievable).
The weather proved to be a bonus, which with our lovely room and good food made our stay all the more enjoyable.
But the sting in the tail comes when you check out and find that you are being charged £10.50 for 3 nights just to park in the hotel car park, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE RIP OFF. I have stayed in hotels throughout the UK but never have I been asked as a guest at an hotel to pay to park my car. Someone in the Marketing Department at Puma Hotels needs to review this policy, it is costing you repeat business. Undoubtedly this took the gloss off what was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room overlooking garden and town was excellent.
Dear TonyCheshire,

Thank you foir posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very pleased to read that you had a lovely stay and enjoyed your dinner, bed and breakfast break.

Our breakfast buffet is very popular and does offer a really great selection including smoked salmon. Because the hot food is buffet style we decided not to display black pudding as the problem is that it becomes dry and tough in virtually no time and is actually not that popular, even in Yorkshire !

We have new menus being launched this November which will give a much larger choice than is currently the case and a wider range dishes which we are hoping will provide an even greater appeal.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon. Many thanks, Vince
emmal0uise87
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

stayed here 16th october to 18th october and had a very relaxed 2 days break. very old styled hotel which was very grand and lovely, staff were very helpfullon check in and to give us information on the hotel and town. we had just booked a standard double well looking at the website and on here there seemed to be no bad pictures of the rooms, but when we got our room it was abit grotty and dated the bathroom was lovely but the room itself had ripped sofas and chairs and just abit dark and dindgy!! as we was after a cheaper few days away we thought we would stay in this room as it was clean just not really as grand as the rest of the hotel. clean towles and hot water was plentyfull. the breakfast was good lots of choice and lovely staff. we ate in the hotel restuarant and it was the best meal i have ever had steak madallions cooked perfectly and cajun pranws the whole meal was beautiful i am a chef myself and very picky but id like to thank the chef for my lovely meal, recongiction should be given. i also had a treatment and my nails done the girl at the spa was really nice made me feel at ease and had a lovely time. on a whole my stay was very good as a younger couple in such a big grand hotel it could be abit more lively but was very nice 2 days away.

Dear emmalouise87,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I was really pleased to read of your enjoyment with your short break.

I'm sorry that your room wasn't impressive and if you'd let me know the number we will attend to any issues we find.

Dinner was clearly a success and our Head Chef will be very pleased to receive such feedback from a fellow professional. We have new dinner menus about to launch in November which do retain the fillet steak medallion with cajun prawns alongside even more mouth watering options.

Most importantly, I'm pleased that you were made to feel welcome and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Yorkshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We attended a wedding reception here. The MC was outstanding and directed the proceedings in an experienced and efficient manner. The staff were all courteous and attended to our needs. Diabetics and those with dietery problems received personal attention. I imagine was very expensive but certainly worth the money.
There was a charge in the car park but this was waived for wedding guests.
The quality of the service and reception was excellent.
Highly recommended.
We didn't stay but relatives did and found it very acceptable and worth the expense..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Kingell,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased to note how impressed you were with the service provided at the wedding which you attended and I know that our team will also appreciate your kind comments.

Many thanks, Vince

Been to The Majestic Hotel? Share your experiences!