“Sage.” 1 of 5 stars

11 Mount Parade, Harrogate HG1 1BX, England
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Asian, British
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: NEW OWNERSHIP .....This restaurant is small and relaxed. We dont want to rush anyone out so we do not rush service so if you are in a rush please do let us know and we will ensure that you are looked after accordingly. We only take bookings for one seating so please be sure to book to avoid disappointment. We are able to take parties so please do phone to arrange yours. If you have special requirements dietary or otherwise please do let us know when you book - we want your visit to be the best it can be!!!
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sage.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you are planning on visiting Sage then you might reconsider as unfortunately this restaurant seems to have closed now. We purchased through an online promotion a meal for 2 persons but numerous calls, voice messages proved unsuccessful and a couple of visits to the restaurant suggest it is now closed indefinitely.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“What a joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I Bought a living social voucher a couple of weeks ago (don't know why restaurants subscribe to these offers if they don't want to commit to providing the service purchased, possibly a bit dim and just think they will get the advertising without having to honour the offer). Anyway, I should have know when it took me around 5 attempts to actually book a table that things were not going to be plain sailing. Every time I rang the restaurant nobody answered but eventually I caught up with Wayne the owner who seemed genuinely very nice and he took my reservation for 2 for Wednesday 18th September 2012 at 8:00pm. The table was booked for my birthday meal. Wayne had taken my mobile number so there is, as Julie C has said previously, no excuse for not calling to tell me that they weren't open. In hindsight, reading most of the recent reviews, with the odd exception, I am glad it was closed and will be taking the issue up with Living Social to get a refund. Don't, whatever you do, book this restaurant expecting to turn up and eat, it won't happen and if it does, you might just regret it. Anyway, Christies Pub benefitted as we stayed there most of the evening and had a lovely packet of cheese & onion crisps and some pork scratchings! Lovely pub by the way.

Visited September 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“It was closed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I'd like to comment on food, service etc but unfortunately despite booking 10 days in advance the restaurant was closed when we arrived. I had given my phone number there is no excuse for such blatant lack of consideration.

Visited September 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“anniversary at the sage harrowgate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

we were given a warm welcome. there was a card and free bottle of bubbly from the owner to mark our anniversary. the service was impeccable and the right balance of friendly and efficient. The food was served at just the right intervals and was outstanding. We recommend that you try the choclate mousse signature dessert, it is to die for! We asked to speak to chef to offer our thanks for such a fine meal. We enjoyed complimentarty drink with the owner and chef and it made our anniversary a truely memorable one. If you can find fault with this divine little restaurant then you could find trouble in an empty house!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Staff not paid?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We actually had a great time during our first visit.The FOH manager Rachael looked after her staff very well and they worked as a team. I was informed when I arrived that the head chef was ill and had gone home so the apprentice chef was doing all the cooking and food may take longer. This was fine as we were told straight away.
The food didn't even seem to take that long and was cooked to perfection- especially the steaks! We could also hear Rachael talking to her staff through the kitchen hatch and constantly reassuring him which was lovely to see. The other waitress was very good and clearly had been taught well on when to approach the table and when to leave us to it as she was perfectly timed. The restaurant was very busy but we never felt rushed. We were even encouraged at the end of the meal to stay and have a drink and we had a good chat with the staff. This visit was remarkable and we quickly returned.
The second visit was not good. We were looked after by a very young girl who did not have the professional touch we had before. We asked after Rachael and were informed she had left as she had not been paid! I have been hearing increasing reports on the treatment of staff at Sage Bistro. I know for a fact that the owner has not fully paid his staff (including the kitchen staff) for weeks but I also witnessed the younger waitress in tears due to the chef (whom I think is the owner) being extremely rude to her.
I've called several times to try and make a booking as I thought the service was fantastic, but there has been no answer and whenever I walk past it is closed. I hope that the owner gets whats coming to him and the rest of the staff are hired somewhere that they would be appreciated. What a disgusting way to treat your staff!

• Visited August 2012