“Very Good Meal Out” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 360 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Van Zeller restaurant in Harrogate has a chef of rare gifts in native Yorkshireman Tom Van Zeller. Creating delicious and innovative British cuisine is the mission here, and one that has succeeded admirably. The smart dining room is both stylish and comfortable, a fine, intimate bistro-style setting for the kitchen's high ambitions. Chef Van Zeller started his career locally at the famous Betty's Tearooms and Rudding Park before learning his craft in some Michelin-starred restaurants in London, Sydney and New York. Now returning to his roots, Van Zeller won the backing of esteemed restaurateur David Moore (two Michelin starred Pied a Terre and Michelin starred l'Autre Pied) in creating Van Zeller restaurant. Almost immediately, his creative cuisine has earned Van Zeller Best Newcomer at the 2010 Northern Hospitality Awards, Best Chef at the 2010 Harrogate Hospitality & Tourism Awards and a pair of AA rosettes. Van Zeller is one of Harrogate's destination restaurants.
Durham, United Kingdom
“Very Good Meal Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Went with friends on 30th October Wednesday evening. Food very good and service good. We thought it was reasonably priced too. The starters were spectacular but my main course a little dry and I found a piece of bone in my partridge leg meat! My partner had deer which was a little chewy and possibly not of the finest quality. Friends really enjoyed their mains hare and monkfish. Deserts and pre deserts spectacular too. We eat out a lot and for me there could have been some refinements - unsalted butter and service that did not reach over the table are two!
This is a restaurant that has ambition and a skilful chef. Good luck to you and we shall definitely be back!

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hi lynneackland, thank you for your review and I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the meal although I’m disappointed you didn’t enjoy your main course. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions which I will take on board and I look forward to welcoming you back, Tom van Zeller.

Leven
“Worthy of a star.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Dined here on my own recently---not normally a great night out, but the exceptional dinner I enjoyed more than made up for a lack of company. Jaded palates are all too common nowadays with far too many establishments following trends rather than creating new ones.
There were several highlights of my meal, including crusty mussels, an amuse bouche composed of three of my least favourite items, goats cheese, beetroot and balsamic which was gorgeous, a pre-dessert including fennel meringue, star anise & coffee which was amazing and parkin sauce with foie gras.
Definitely my best dining experience for years and I can't wait to come back with "her indoors!"

Thany you.

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hi PersimmonPrince, thank you for your lovely feedback, I’m glad you enjoyed the meal, I know what it’s like to be a solo diner so I’m glad you felt welcome at van Zeller. I look forward to seeing you again soon, Tom van Zeller.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Stunning, stunning food & service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our 2nd visit to this stunning restaurant. This time it was with friends, and our friend's not only know fine wines better than most, but the lady of our friend's made the final of Master Chef some years ago - so a tough audience. However, we had no hesitation choosing this restaurant, and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent, superbly presented and the attention of the staff was second to none. A truly fine restaurant, well worthy of a visit for any occasion but certainly a special one, as you will be assured of the finest dining experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hi Denise, thank you for your review, I’m glad we were able to impress such a tough audience! It’s lovely to hear how much you all enjoyed dining and van Zeller and I hope you’ll be back soon. Tom van Zeller.
Cheshire, England
“Van Zeller should have a Michelin star!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I visited Harrogate last weekend to attend a concert at the Royal Hall and knew it would be too late to eat by the time it had finished so decided on lunch instead. I had been to the restaurant once before but it was my husband's first visit and we both thought the food was exceptional. The lunch menu is not as extensive as the evening menu but the choice was perfect for us and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We have eaten in a few Michelin starred restaurants and cannot understand why Tom Van Zeller does not have a Michelin star! Presentation, taste and quality of the food was outstanding and the service was excellent. We are now trying to think of an excuse to visit Harrogate again just so that we can repeat the Van Zeller experience!

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hi MrsLush, thank you for your feedback and compliments. I hope you find an excuse to visit Harrogate again soon! Tom van Zeller.
Derby
“Fantastic anniversary thankyou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We travelled from derby just to visit this restaurant after reading many good things. I must admit it lives up to its outstanding reputation. It was our anniversary and they pulled out all the stops to make it special. The service was impeccable and the food divine. Please go to this restaurant with an open mind about the menu, it will impress. If you are unsure what to order the waiter will help you choose and discuss the menu in more detail. Very talented chef here, I do hope he gets a Michelin star soon as I think he thoroughly deserves one. Thanks again for a special night. Sarah and Andy

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hi Sarah and Andy, happy anniversary to you both and I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed celebrating at van Zeller. Thank you for your compliments and lovely comments, I hope you’ll be making a trip to come and see us again soon. Tom van Zeller.