“A Gem!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 98 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“A Gem!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

stayed for one night with my mum.It was our first time in Harrogate and when we arrived at Scotia House we were met by Marie the owner and she made us welcome from the start,she carried our bags to our twin room and was very helpfull and freindly.
What a lovley room we had,extremly clean,bright and modern and well equipped.
The decor is lovley and tastefull and fresh in the dining room,a relaxing atmosphere.
Marie serves a lovley breakfast with plenty of choice for your individual taste.

I will definatly be coming back here with my hubby ,but next time it will be for longer!!

P.S Marie...Cant go wrong with radio 2 in a morning :-)
P. P. S Thanks for making me and my mum laugh! x

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Kingston upon Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at Scotia House for 2 nights whilst attending a conference and I was extremely impressed. As an event organiser I have stayed in many properties in Harrogate and indeed all over the world and Scotia House is definitely one I will re-visit the next time I am in the area. It is close to the conference centre and the town centre, newly refurbished, pristine, beautifully clean, tastefully decorated and the service is better than I have encountered in many 5* hotels. Marie really knows the meaning of looking after her guests - the breakfast was stunning and when we had to be at the conference centre early she immediately offered us an earlier breakfast time than normal with a smile. Nothing was too much trouble and the whole place has a warm friendly atmosphere.

Although I was travelling on business I have already recommended Scotia House to friends visiting Harrogate for a weekend away and I know they will be impressed.

Withernsea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Have spent a lot of time in Harrogate over the years in various 4* properties with a long walk to the conference centre or parking nightmares but have found the perfect solution! Scotia House is located immediately across the road from the Harrogate International Conference Centre and is a true jewel! Newly refurbished earlier this year from top to bottom by someone with a very tasteful eye, it is welcoming, comfortable and has an owner who most definitely thinks nothing is too much trouble! Parking is included a short way along the road - we all know parking is a problem in that area. The rooms are not the biggest but for the amount of time you need to spend in them, who cares - cleanliness and comfort with a power shower to die for are much more important. The breakfast was awesome - far better than most 4^ hotels with a lovely selection of fresh fruit as well as cereals, breads and freshly cooked options. Marie is lovely and has created a lovely atmosphere at this property - home from home, thank you! Don't know what the others mean about the noise... didn't hear a thing!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I arrived on Monday for a 3 day conference at the international centre. I was delighted to find the hotel directly opposite the entrance to the conference centre. It was less than 5 pounds in a cab from the station, though could easily be leisurely walked in under 10 minutes. Despite being on a main road, and across the conference centre, the entire interior from breakfast area to bedroom was very quiet.

Marie is a definite asset to this business, having arrived 2 hours before official check in, and with another guest waiting to check in she was unfazed, she allowed early check in, sat for a period in the breakfast room with myself and another guest, and gave a comprehensive account of her guest facilities. She also offered to book local restaurants if required and even had discount vouchers for certain establishments.

The room was well appointed , with a very pleasant decor and furnishing. The bed is one of the most comfortable I have slept on in any boutique hotel. The room was spacious, exceptionally clean, and very welcoming. It was a room in which it was very easy to relax after a hectic schedule at conference, where one wishes to have an hour or so respite prior to dressing for dinner engagements.

Above and beyond the call of duty, when discussing ironing facilities, Marie took all items away and by the time I returned from conference on first night all items were meticulously pressed and hanged on quality wooden hangers in the wardrobe, with suits, neatly placed on the inside of the shower room door, to facilitate that last minute steaming touch up we all require!

Marie was also amazing at assisting with emergency last minute sourcing of formal wear hire, from an establishment less than 3 minutes walk away, as stupidly i had forgotten to pack my own in a rush to leave home, the establishment not only could help, they had the garments in stock , and had it measured , fitted, bagged and paid for in under 30 minutes. Marie clearly understands harrogate and her local business colleagues.

Breakfast is worthy of a 5* luxury hotel, with wide range of continental items, in a very charming dining room, with cooked items made fresh to order, including if desired smoked salmon, obtained fresh each day.

I would not hesitate in recommending this establishment, it is exceptional value for money, and with the customer service exceeding that of some more established and traditional premium hotels, it offered a wonderful stay with outstanding value for money, this is particularly important at a time of business travel cost limitations.

Ture famous Yorkshire hospitality at its best!

Room Tip: room one is stunning
Teesside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed for one night following a concert at the International Conference Centre - which is literally across the road. The room was spotlessly clean and the welcome was warm and friendly. The bathroom was tiny - which is the only thing to stop me from rating the Scotia House as excellent. It was, however, one of the best showers I've ever had in a B&B and the small size certainly wouldn't put me off going there again. The room had everything I would have wanted or expected for a short stay.
We were in room 3 and there was no noise from the road at all. The beds seemed a little soft but we both slept really well. Breakfast was very good - especially the fresh fruit platter.
We're likely to go back next time there's a good concert at the Conference Centre!

Room Tip: Room 3 did not suffer from the road noise others have mentioned.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for 1 night and couldnt have asked for more. The room was spotless, the en-suite shower room, although small, was superb. For breakfast I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled egg and there was so much I couldnt eat it all. There was also a good variety of fresh fruit and yogurt and my daughter had a full cooked breakfast. Marie was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

we were warmly welcomed with a brew and a chat about the area by Marie.The room was spotless and really comfortable,we stayed on a Friday night,we could hear the traffic but it did not keep us awake,all in all it was a fantastic comfortable place to stay.We were recommended a restaurant for our evening meal this was also really good.We would definitely recommend staying here

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Scotia House? Share your experiences!