“DO NOT STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Aston Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Aston Hotel to your Saves list
The Aston Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7/9 Franklin Mount, Harrogate HG1 5EJ, England   |
Ranked #94 of 100 Harrogate B&B and Inns
“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011 via mobile

This place was like a scene from faulty towers! Staff didn't speak a word of English, room was smelly, carpets were stained, light fittings were dodgy! (Dangerous) room was dusty, cold, damp walls, toilet door was hanging off! The only good thing I have to say about this place is the location! I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!

• Stayed August 2011

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is the worst hotel i have stayed in in all my time treveling what a dump. book a 4 bed family room got 2 twins not even on same floor.
then got put on ground floor and 2.30am people bangging on widow to let them in what a joke this place is. needs closing down dirty place rude staff and manager/ owner dont give a dam. what a dump

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed here recently for two nights. On arrival, there was no one there to check us in. We used a telephone on the reception to call the manager and waited for about ten minutes in the foyer for him to arrive from a sister hotel. On arrival there was no explanation or apology, just quietness and he took our details and gave us a key for our room. The room was very very very dated and felt dirty in every way. The bed was so low in may as well have been on the floor and the bed covers were shabby and again, felt unclean. There was an old tv however the remote didn't work. All the furniture was shabby too. There was a cupboard size bathroom which you had to manoeuvre around the bed to open the door to. The toilet seat was off it's hinges and the surrounding area reeked of urine. There was no soap. There was however tea and coffee making facilities. The door was a pain to lock and unlock. In the morning after hardly any sleep due to some people arguing all night downstairs, we had breakfast which was actually 'ok'. Full English which wasn't too rancid and cereals/fruit aplenty. All the breakfast staff were foreign however all spoke very good English and were very pleasant. It it quite centrally located for Harrogate and the Showground and exhibition centre. I've got to say, this is the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in in this country. I certainly wouldn't recommend or return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

WELL, where can you begin. First of all they require you to pay up front without even being shown the room. First mistake by us, although the whole of Harrogate was full because of the Home and Gift Show. The first room we had was filthy, with mouldy cherry stones by the bed. The toilet was caked in old urine and the shower was grey where it needed a good "ciffing". Having been bitten by bed bugs we asked to change room. The new room was marginally better in that the beds and bathroom were cleaner. Unfortunately one of the curtains at the bay window was missing so we could not draw the curtains for privacy at all. The other curtains at the window were different patterns and hanging off the rail. The carpets in both rooms were sticky with dirt, and the bed was broken with springs poking through. Our television was changed for some reason while we were at the show and the remote did not work and we could not switch it off except at the wall, so we could not watch TV. It was extremely cold as there was no heating and the weather in Harrogate this week has been extremely inclement. Everyone at breakfast had a story to tell and one lady had a hole in her bath which had been blocked up with cellotape. To insult us more, we had a note to say our card had been declined and could we pay again. HELLO, we paid in full on Friday 15th and had the receipt. I have just arrived home in Kent to find a voicemail from Friday 15th to say we had not arrived and our card had been declined!!!!!!! I only wish it had because I would not have paid and let them take me to court. We were in our allotted hovel when they called my home. I have called the environmental health this place should be shut down. I went into the kitchen one night in search of tea bags, let me tell you the kitchen cupboards are so filthy they make you heave. I found the tea bags on the floor under the cleaning stuff and vacuum cleaner in the cleaning cupboard. DO NOT STOP HERE. It says in the blurb you get free wyfi, Oh no you dont, you have to pay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

please please please dont even book this hotel no wonder it is so cheap. there was 18 of us who where due to stay in this hotel to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. on arrival we had no receptionist to greet us so we had to wait around about 2hrs to get keys then only to be advised they never had any rooms for us!. finally we got sorted and were given some keys , i dished them out to the 9 couples and then 1 by 1 they come back down the stairs to say no way theye were staying here. there was mould everywhere, water coming out of light fitments, dirty bedding, the list goes on. in the end we got a refund and stayed elsewhere. the first thing i done when i got home was call enviromental health!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We have booked for our team to stay for 4 nights at Aston in June 2011. Well, should have checked the reviews before doing that. After booking through booking.com, the guys arrived to the hotel after a hard days work only to be told in a very inpolite manner that there were no rooms available, so they were transferred to a sister hotel ( apprently a better one).

The hotel was a joke- the shower didn't work, it was very-very-very dirty and the staff had appauling attitude. In the morning there was a big dog walking around the breakfast area and sniffing the food. The toast was brought out and left on a dish covered with a wet!!!!! cloth - god only knows where that's been! All in all, even basic sanitary guidelines have been completely ignored in this place.

After the horrendous nights sleep the team decided not to endure this pain again and checked out to find a place to stay elsewhere. But that's where the nightmare really began. Even after agreeing to pay for the night that we've stayed we wanted to cancel the remaning 3 as there was no way we were going to stay there. That was 2 weeks ago, and we are still battling with booking.com to get a refund. The hotel is calling us liars and are not admitting anything, despite theior reviews speaking for themselves!

So if you are reading this-AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!! it is cheap but it is not worth it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011 via mobile

Rooms were booked for a party of 14 2months ago. 6 twins and a 4 bed. Upon arrival the staff were completely unaware of our booking and explained that there is not a 4 bed room in this hotel. The manager was contacted via telephone(this became a regular occurrence as she was never on site). We eventually managed to leave our belongings in one room in order not to miss our afternoon appointments.
We returned at 5.40pm to check in. The manager was on site and insisted we pay before she would give us the room key. I was given a key for my room and upon entering I noticed other people's belongings in the room. I immediately returned the key and insisted that the manager should keep a log of the rooms that are occupied and that I didn't feel my belongings were safe. The manager brushed this off and said ok ok here is another room key. I proceeded to this room and could not access. Again I wad given a room key for the wrong room. Third time lucky I got into a room.
The shower did not work, nor the tv. I went to another member of the party to use the shower in their room which also didn't work. I eventually found a party member who's shower did work without giving me third degree burns!
The manager wad no where to be seen to make a complaint and the number to contact her on was going to an automated machine.
In the morning it took an hour and 15 mins to receive breakfast which was Luke warm. I ended up helping the young girl clear our table of dirty pots as I felt so sorry for her. Again the manager was no where in sight. Half a dozen guests rang the manager and insisted she come and speak with us. It took her 45 mins to get to us from the sister hotel 5 mins down the rd.
The manager would not listen to any of the complaints. She was extremely rude and shouted abuse. The fire exits were also blocked, when I informed her if this she said they were not fire doors. When I told her that the doors have the fire sticker keep clear on she said she would pull them off .... I have uploaded the pics as evidence of the lack if health & safety for the guests staying here. I also witnessed a member of staff turning the fire alarm off to stop the alarm whilst breakfast was being made.
If you do decide to go against the reviews and stay here ....... DO NOT PAY ON ARRIVAL !!!!!

• Stayed July 2011

Been to The Aston Hotel? Share your experiences!