“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Stage

The Stage
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Peterborough
The Stage
You added The Stage to your Saves list
16 Market Place | Market Deeping, Peterborough PE6 8EA, England   |
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Peterborough
Treasure Cay, Great Abaco Island
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very comfortable, spacious room, great shower, lovely stylish decor throughout the hotel, good location on pretty riverside in attractive village. Shaded tables on the river bank. Good food, friendly staff. Only 2 downsides. The WiFi is appalling so if you need to work you'll have to pop just across the road to one of 2 pubs with very good wifi. Currently typing this in the Stone Loach. Also the traffic outside is surprisingly busy and noisy for a country village. To be honest though, you'll get that everywhere at the moment with the need to keep windows wide open in this unusually hot weather. Not usually a problem in Britain! The hotel does provide a very effective fan in the room though, so you can shut the windows if you choose. We'd certainly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: I think all rooms face the road but there may be one at the side of the hotel. Worth asking.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Slightly overpriced for what really is a "village" pub. The young girl serving drinks needs to grab the customer's attentio, smile and be polite and not nearly spill our drinks as she landed at the table!
The plates should not be passed to us as they arrive or we shouldn't be asked to pass our plates at the end of a meal!! Basic waitressing skills.
The cutlery was also passed and not placed.
More attention to detail please!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Long sutton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had lunch here, brilliant location for a hot day. Food was overpriced pub food. Seasonal vegetables were frozen carrots and green beans?? No salad dressing. Ok for a drink. Location amazing if you are able to get a seat by the river. Best to go after 2pm, they serve lunch until 3.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
peterborough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This review is for the restaurant only as I didn't stay. In fact I didn't get to eat either! I am a coeliac who booked 24 hours in advance and told them I had a gluten free diet which didn't seem to be a problem at time of booking (and eaten there previously without any problems). On arrival I was told choose what you like and we will see what the chef can adapt. I asked what there was on the starters as everything appeared to have bread or wheat, the waitress went to see the chef and came back and I quote stated "the chef can't look at it as we are very busy this evening"! I was ready to walk out then but persevered. After attempts at four different dishes, we did give up. When I told the waitress you had been informed I was a coeliac she said but you said you were gluten free on the phone. They really didn't have a clue and we could hear service given to other tables was also very poor. This used to be a great little restaurant but has really gone downhill, avoid if you can.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Woking
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is an old converted coaching inn right in the centre of Market Deeping.

+ great village location, with pubs etc right opposite
+ newly decorated rooms
+ car parking
+ real ale and a good drinks offering
+ the guy at reception was welcoming and responsive

I am afraid that here is a list of minuses, which in my opinion is why I will not stay here again:

- ripped sheet on bed
- tiny bathroom without a bath or natural light
- no blackout curtains
- busy road with old windows
- no WiFi apart from one table in the bar
- very poor continental breakfast choice, cheap hot food produce, hard poached eggs, with shabby service
- expensive at £90 for double room with single occupancy
- no paper tissues or hair dryer
- boring, cheap modern decor in this old coaching inn is a crime.

Shame, stay at Stamford or Oundle if you can

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1 like I did as it is ne t to the main staircase and interconnecting door!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

There seems to be reviews of this place under several different titles on Trip Advisor - I'm reviewing it as a hotal not as a restaurant as we stayed there on New Years Eve but didn't actually eat there. The young gentleman on Reception was charming and welcoming, he brought my bag up to our room which was warm, well-decorated and a good size. The en-suite was also nicely decorated and very clean. We didn't eat at the hotel, but we enjoyed the New Years Eve party that was on - well managed, ticket-only so no drunks calling in, a great band and a lovely atmosphere. Although all the rooms seemed to look onto the main road through the village I didn't find it noisy - the floodlights outside the hotel were a bit invasive though and shone through the curtains until they went off at about 7am the next morning. Breakfast was very good, only one member of staff there but she coped admirably. I'd definitely go back to the Stage - I'd like to eat there next time as the dining room looked very attractive - and I'd most definitely recommend it as a place to stay over.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SUFFOLK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were unable to get availability elsewhere so stayed here in their suite doe one night at a cost of £130. Not recommended. There was no hairdrier, no paper tissues in the room. You can hear conversations from the neighbouring room through a disused connecting door. The decor in the room and throughot the hotel is a bit tacky ( yes, I know that's highly subjective !). It is like stepping back in time, where the owners have no concept of what quality actually looks like. The staff tried to be helpful but did not actually seem to know what was going on. I asked to complete a customer feedback form or to email my complaints/suggestions if given an email address - neither could be found apparently! The cooked breakfast was ok but again it is all rather basic and down-market - limited breakfast menu and the cheapest of ingredients I dont mind paying £130 per night for B&B provided there is quality to be had - there is not here. Suggest you avoid The Stage.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Stage? Share your experiences!