“Oh dear, what's this got to do with Thai food?” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Oh dear, what's this got to do with Thai food?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was the second time I've been to Mai Thai, Peterborough. The first time was just after it opened and it was cheap, cheerful and good. This time it was simply awful. It was as if they'd thrown teaspoons of sugar into everything (even the "chicken rice" !) The main was a stir fry that came in a cloying sauce with no obvious ingredients and the accompanying broccoli I ordered seemed also to be in a very similar sauce. The rice was just weird. I will not be repeating the experience.

OK, it's cheap, but that doesn't have to mean awful. When the waiter came to clear my obviously not empty plate, I did say that it had been very sweet and he did seem concerned and offered another dish. But by that time, I'd eaten enough. Had they asked me mid meal if all was OK, for a change it might have been a good thing. But as a solitary diner, I had the usual ignore unless you attract their attention problem (despite the restaurant being pretty quiet early on a Wednesday evening).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Poor food, poor service, poor venue...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I visited Mai Thai with several colleagues for an informal meal after work.

The main offering is an all you can eat type selection of various courses for about ten pounds a head, so if it's a cheap meal you're after then this may be the place for you.

Whilst all you can eat may be an attractive prospect, the quality of the food was terrible. Most of the courses were very greasy and had few interesting flavours to tantalise the palette. I found myself feeling quite sick towards the end.

The quality of the food was matched by the quality of the service. Most of the waiting staff were cocky young lads who swaggered around without a care for the customers. A bit more professionalism wouldn't go a miss, or even just some politeness!

I can't help but feel that Mai Thai would benefit from reducing their portion sizes and improving the quality of their food and service. Nobody in our party came close to finishing all of the dishes that were presented and the service was closer to that at a dodgy used car lot.

Avoid at all costs. If it's a Thai you're after then try the nearby Brewery Tap.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Nice Food and service :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had really nice dinner on Friday night at Mai Thai restaurant. service and food were spotless. we would recommend it!! I am sure You will feel the real taste of food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Desborough, United Kingdom
“Don't be put off by exterior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My family visited this restaurant on Saturday after shopping in Peterborough.We were a bit apprehensive at first as it was empty and we couldn't smell any food.We had a look at the menu and decided we would give it a try and thank goodness we did or we would have missed a fantastic meal.There were four of us and we all chose mainly different choices so we could share all of them.The only one that disappointed was the Pad Thai, all the rest were absolutely delicious! the service was excellent and it was a lovely dining room.
We all are looking forward to eating there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Peterborough
“Top class tasty meal with good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Had an excellent meal. Good choice of menu with lots of different flavours. Will definitely be returning

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere