“Work on the front of house, please!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 340 Restaurants in Peterborough
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern British restaurant Offering fine dinning food.
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Work on the front of house, please!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Another visit to Clark's and this time for my mothers delayed birthday meal.
Upon entering, one person (customer) sat eating at the bar area, whilst a member of staff was working on a lap top, not a warm greeting! After walking further in, we were finally approached and asked if we had booked, after another uncomfortable pause we were asked if we'd like a drink at the bar or go to the table. Coats were then finally taken. This greeting is unfortunately not uncommon as it has happened at least 3 times I've visited (maybe I have one of those faces?)
A bit more enthusiasm really wouldn't hurt.
Onto the best part of Clark's, the food.
We ordered from both menus, the two course lunch and a la carte. Complimentary amouse bouch of artichoke and sage soup. My terrine of rabbit, ham hock and fois gras was moist and tasty spoilt only by the cling film and small piece of gristle I inadvertently bit into. My mothers ham hock terrine had an even larger piece of gristle although the egg was perfectly poached and asparagus tender.
We were asked only at the point of clearing if our meals had been ok. We said very tasty but! The lady in charge ( sorry I didn't get her name) was very apologetic and immediately took the cost of these items from the final bill. Having work in kitchens for almost 20 years I know these things can happen without malice and I'm sure Lee was equally disappointed this occurred.
Main courses were both beautifully cooked and presented. I had the beef "Cheek to Tail" and my mother the Cod with Pink Fir Potatoes and Crab. However, and this is my issue having had a problem with the starter, not a single member of staff came to check on the meal until after I had finished. I even had to get a member of staffs attention to get a drink and still wasn't asked.
Pre dessert was an interesting Green Apple Sorbet with Stilton and Granola, kudos to the kitchen for bringing one out without nuts, as on booking I had asked to be informed on any dishes containing them.
Desserts were delightful (once we'd asked for some cutlery) a moist chocolate fondant with well judged cardamom ice cream, not overpowering!
The Fallen Apple was beautiful in its artistry and a deight to eat and I can see why it and the fondant are mainstays of the menu.
The food is very good and outstanding value for money, they just need to tighten up on the front of house.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norfolk
“Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Ate with friends, we had not visited it before, but certainly will again soon. There was a very good short menu, and the food was superb. We had wine by the glass, which was all good.

Visited April 2014
“Nice food but.......!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I and four friends had lunch at the restaurant. The menu was pretty limited but the quality of the food was good. However, the portions were miniscule, hardly enough for a child.
The service was poor, and the staff were not very friendly. The restaurant lacks atmosphere and the décor is bland.
Overall very poor value for money. We will not be returning.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I think the best thing about Clarke's is their ability to not only successfully pair unlikely flavours, but also textures.

Many restaurants produce great tasting food, few can say the same about their textures. Truly a feast for the tastebuds!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
March, United Kingdom
“Dazzlingly Different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We have just had a fantastic dinner at Clarke's, and this is without a doubt the best fine dining experience in Peterborough.

I can't believe I'd not been there before, I've missed out on so much. The food was fantastic, and what an amazingly different menu - I love eel, and have tried it a few times, but it has always been home-prepped. The smoked eel on the menu was fabulous, light and tender. My colleagues' feedback on their meal was no less enthusiastic - some combinations that may be thought strange, but that really work. Oh and the cheese board is absolutely to die for... Our French guests were overwhelmed with the range and quality of the cheeses, and even more when told that they were all local (I believe the furthest one away was from north Suffolk).

We were a large group, and between us we'd had every course on the menu, so I can say they all looked amazing as well - so nice to have a restaurant care about presentation!

As we had a private room, it's difficult to advise on the staff - however if the attention and quality of service we received is any indication, then everyone is in very good hands.

I'll definitely be going back - just torn between having the delicious eel again, or trying another of the dishes I heard my colleagues extolling! Either way, night time is the best time to go, so you can eat enjoying a view over St. John's Church and the Cathedral lit up.

• Visited March 2014