“Business stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Peterborough

You added Holiday Inn Express Peterborough to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Peterborough
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East of England Way | Alwalton, Peterborough PE2 6HE, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Peterborough
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Business stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Booked for three nights for a business trip. it is a"budget" hotel so wasn't expecting too much.

The inclusive breakfast was poor, the buffet offered reconstituted scrambled egg, shrivelled sausages and beans as the hot(warm) choices. bearing in mind the arctic conditions during the stay not a great ofering. The other issue for me was the tepid to cold water in the shower and the lack of concern expressed by staff when it was reported. It was the staffs reaction to my complaint which pushed me to rate my overall experience as poor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TimRooney_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.
From the points in your review i can see that we got things wrong on this particular day. We did have a problem with our boiler that was quickly sorted but i am concerned by your comments about the staffs lack of concern, i will be looking into this.
When we do get things wrong we use our less favourable reviews as part of our staff service training and hotel internal audit so we can take these negatives to ensure we focus on continual improvment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Have had the mis-fortune to stay here before, would much rather stay at a Premier Inn, but had n choice on this occasion. MY first room was a room with a door between that and the room next door. Trouble was I could hear every word the person in the next room was saying, so asked to be moved. Luckily as I had checked in in the afternoon I was able to, but the receptionist told me they were overbooked (who still does this??) so some poor person would have ended up with little sleep that night.
The next room was quieter, but noise from people walking about upstairs was noticeable (not an issue at Premier Inn). The bed was hard and the duvet thin. The heating was insufficient to keep the room warm at night and I had to sleep with my coat over me too.
But never mind, come the morning I had a ice warm hot shower to look forward to. WRONG - no hot water at all!!! Given the outside temperature was -8, and the same thing happened to a friend who stayed in August it is obvious the hotel has done nothing to rectify the issue.
I called reception to be told they had "re-set" the boiler and hoped it would work soon. Later on I went to reception and was told the men were on their way to fix it. Needless to say it wasn't fixed before I had to check out. The so called Guest Services Manager wasn't apologetic to me friend when he complained either and no offer was made to refund the cost of the room.
Breakfast was barely edible, with bread so thin even toasted it folds over once you butter it. The sausages could have been improved if they'd actually contained some meat, even horse would have been a bonus (topical issue at present!).
On the plus side, the Harvester next door is cheap and the food nice and I was able to make a quick getaway once checked out.
Would I go back for a third visit? Not if they paid me!!!

Room Tip: Better to stay at Pemier Inn than here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review.
You have pointed out that we had a problem with our boiler and it is unfortunate that a friend of yours happened to be a guest last time this happened, i apologise for this. Hot water was restored to the hotel by 8.30 am.
I cannot respond to your comparisons to another hotel or would i wish to in this response.
I am sorry that on this occasion we did not come up to standard.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked for one night for a business trip. For this the hotel's location is superb- you can access it very quickly from the motorway.

The room was clean and very quiet so I slept well. The only slight issue I had was that my room was on the upper floor- and as previous reviewers have said the hotel has no lift. I had several heavy bags and would've appreciated a hand with them, but this wasn't offered. My fault though- next time I will ask.

Breakfast was ok, the selection could be improved slightly (I really fancied weetabix and this is the first hotel I've ever stayed in that didn't have any). Also a very limited fruit selection- bananas and oranges would be a nice addition.

In general though a very good budget hotel- worth the money for a quiet night's sleep if nothing else!

• Stayed January 2013
TimRooney_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for you recent review.
I glad to see that you were happy with your stay apart from your room being upstairs and the hotel not having a lift. I can see from you review that you were not offered assistance with your luggage, i wiil speak to all staff to make them aware that this happened so that we can improve our service standards.
Thank you once again for your review and hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Royston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here on 31st December 2012. Just really a one night getaway. Also booked in conjunction the Harvester Next Door( Lovely Food). Booked for only £44. A bargain I think. Really lovely and clean when you walk through the door. Great impression.
Booking in process very efficient, and both the receptionist and and Late assistant, fantastic customer service.
Room very clean and fresh along with the rest of the hotel. Breakfast reasonably good quality, and really ample for a morning treat,, especailly for the price you pay. Limited drinks from the bar on offer, could improve the range a little.
Had a adapted room. Space is very tight, wheelchair just about squeezed in, but left very little room same with the bathroom. Just certain items placed in the wrong positions, but we mentioned this to the duty persons to make notes.
Just wish people who roll in really late after partying or venturing out would not make so much noise, but that happens to many hotels we visit, so is expected.
Overall I would recommend
Needs a few improvements, as people have different type of disabilities, so need to really look at all possible options. This really stopped me from giving it 5 marks.
I would venture back if they could improve the things I mentioned, but overall had a good time, and chilled out. Dont let these points raised put you off. In a quiet area, so wont get disturbed too much as its about 3 miles to City Centre. Nice out of town hotel. ENJOY....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TimRooney_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for you recent review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but can see there are a few issues that you feel as a wheelchair user we could improve on. We take all constructive advice on board and we hope to try and do our best to improve our facilities for future guests.
Thank you once again for your review and i hope that we may be able to welome you back at some future date.
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one night. I booked the room for £49 only on booking.com
Well first impression of the hotel was really good, a nice modern building with free parking for my car and in a good location, next to the East of England showground.
First impression of staff was great, the guy behind the reception desk was extremely polite and helpful with questions I had - in so many hotels this is often not the case, as reception staff can often be rude and disinterested. But not here. The staff couldn't have been better.
Well upon entering the room, it smelled really nice and looked brilliantly tidy and clean. The bed and pillows were all done perfect and felt amazing to lie on - very, very comfortable!
The room was generally, overall extremely pleasant and my partner and I could not fault it one bit. The bathroom was as clean and hygienic as the bedroom (to a very high standard) we had lovely fresh towels, soap and shampoo all provided (not like in an awful, dirty and dingy Travelodge we recently stayed in).
The room (and the hotel in general) we could tell was very well looked after and maintained. We went into the city and had a meal, a game of bowling and came back to hotel at night time to watch some TV and get some rest.
A very pleasant and enjoyable stay, we will definitely be coming back again one day. I highly recommend the Peterborough Holiday Inn Express. My partner and I have stayed in a few hotels since we've been together and the Holiday Inn chain is definitely the best and the Peterborough Express Holiday Inn was one of the if not the best hotel we stayed at, so far.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased that you had a good stay with us. It is nice when someone enjoys their stay with us and lets others know of their experience via a review. I can share your comments with the staff and let them know that their hard work is appreciated.
I do hope that we wil be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express in the future.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Another good stay at this "budget" hotel, staff are always friendly, rooms are of a good standard and always nice and clean. Standard breakfast which is always OK. In house food is limited but you can order in, there is a harvester thing within a 2 min walking distance and slightly further a field a nice pub in the village.

The only downside to this hotel is, whoever designed it didn't consider a lift, so if you have many bags, it is a slight pain getting to the first floor

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TimRooney_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent review.
I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed another good stay with us.
As you mentioned the hotel does not have a lift but the staff are always willing to help if you do need assistance with bags or luggage.
It is always nice to see a guest return to stay with us again and i hope that we can welcome you again to the hotel in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst working in the area. The room was standard HIE fare, not really much different to a travelodge. Breakfast was below par - a very limited selection and lukewarm at best. There was free car parking and a Harvester next door for dinner in the evening. Wireless is free but only for one device per room so if two of you want to work or surf one person has to pay £12. I really don't understand why hotels continue to charge such exorbitant fees for internet access, £12 is more than most people pay for a full month!
Anyway, the hotel was ok but the combination of wireless costs, poor breakfast and the room price of £81 made it very poor value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TimRooney_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your recent review.
I'm sorry to here that you feel that we did not come up to standard. I do agree that we can improve and it is only with constructive feedback from guests such as youself we can find out where we need to focus.Regarding the cost of wifi this is something that we are trying to address in the near future.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Peterborough? Share your experiences!