“Not so ULTIMATE tower pudding” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, British
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Not so ULTIMATE tower pudding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Visited here last night with a group of friends and had a lovely main meal and drinks. Waitress was really attentive and polite. I had the wild boar and chorizo burger with a side of onion rings and it certainly wasn't BOARING!! Really tasty. Here is my main gripe though. I ordered the ultimate tower for my pudding, but ultimate it wasn't! And a tower it certainly wasn't. I was expecting a TOWER of a pudding but it soon became a topic of conversation as it's NOT A TOWER!!!! More like a flat chocolate cake! Please change the name! IT IS NOT A TOWER!!

Restaurant was really busy at 7pm but as we pre-booked this was not an issue as we were shown straight to our table!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

51% Recommend
Helmsley, United Kingdom
“Needs improving.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

As a front of house manager myself I was intrigued to read the reviews on this site and to be honest they are justified. I recently ate here and the food was ok but oh dear the front of house team and lack of attention to detail let the place and company down. We arrived 5 mins before our table was booked and after atracting someone's attention no obvious person/ manager in charge we were told to wait in the bar. After 30 mins I went to find out what was happening And was told they thought we had gone to the table! Had to ask for everything and staff really didn't care. Chef obviously did care as steak and duck cooked to perfection but they are really being let down by front of house staff .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Liprid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The food okay small amounts :(
Great place and location.
Nobody at the bar and drinks expensive . Slow service .
Poorly run:(

Whittlesey
“Consistently Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Can not understand the '1' Review - who has been several times only to make a poor
review as 'his' first. My wife and I have been many times and this week we had no
reservation but arrived early enough for a table. The service was very good, the choice
for a Pub' menu was excellent and a good choice of specials at a reasonable price.
The food arrived in a timely fashion, was well presented and very hot indeed.
If I went to a place and either got bad food or service I wouldn't go back for a second
helping - simple?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Losing it's way a little?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Cuckoo has always been a place that has the appeal of the quaint old country pub, but for me it's always been at the expensive end of what I would want to pay. To that extent I can't compare it to regular high end pubs. It's the sort of place I'd visit for a special occassion and to that end I'd want excellent value for money. That's difficult for pubs these days with so many good offerings with good deals on. The Cuckoo is in danger of falling between two stools. It's not sufficiently excellent but neither sufficiently good value. Worth a visit if you've never been but be clear about what you are expecting.

• Visited September 2013