“Perfect celebration” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Somerset
“Perfect celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

With lots to celebrate, we wanted something special on a Friday lunchtime, and The Pony and Trap provided exactly that. From the moment we arrived we were treated exceptionally well by the intelligent and perfectly trained staff: anticipating any requirements, and offering flexibility in a friendly but not patronising or 'gushy' way.
The food was outstanding, so beautifully presented and each mouthful was savoured by all four of us. The lovely interior of the pub, as well as obviously the outstanding views across the hills (really beautiful), added to this experience.
My husband says the icing on the cake was the bill: not at all expensive considering the fantastic time we had had.
We left The Pony and Trap feeling extremely happy and relaxed (it wasn't just down to the wine!). Having arranged a taxi to take us the 40 minutes journey there and collect us, we had no doubts that it was well worth it, and will definitely be visiting this lovely place again.
Thank you to all of you for a really lovely time.

• Visited July 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Smashing Roast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Got taken here by the other half for a Sunday Roast.
She'd heard good things from friends and even though some of the reviews on here questioned the value and Michelin star rating, I was excited none the less.
I can't say I was let down. The food, service and atmosphere were great. And I personally believe given how good it all was, it was extremely good value also.
Even though we arrived late for our booking, the staff were very accommodating, friendly and attentive.
This was very likely the best roast dinner I have ever had (I hope my Mum doesn't read this!). The portion size was very good, and filling, the beef, full of flavour and perfectly cooked and the homemade horseradish sauce was to die for!
All washed down with a lovely bottle of wine, which was a bargain for a Michelin star restaurant. In many lower quality establishments I have been to, I have been served some much more mediocre wines at twice the price!
I can't comment on the 'typical' lunch and dinner menus, but on the basis of their Sunday roast, I would imagine they will be amazing too, and I sincerely look forward to trying them if I am back in that neck of the woods again.
I would highly recommend a visit to the Pony and Trap and if anyone is on tripadvisor pondering the decision, please go ahead and book!
10/10!

• Visited May 2013
scoobs11
“Impressed once again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is our second visit to the the Pony and Trap and, once again, left very satisfied. The food was excellent with the accompaniments to each course given as much attention & importance as the main ingredient. The service was spot on, not too little & not too much. As for the location itself, cannot think of much better in Bristol area on a warm summer's evening. Finally, thumbs up for the Three Choirs white wine fro Gloucestershire - gorgeous!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Can't rate it highly enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Pony & Trap's tasting menu is worthy of a 100-mile round trip, a night in a hotel and two £20 taxi fares. We did for our first visit in June 2012 and repeated the experience last night. We weren't disappointed. We'd requested a table in the conservatory area - beautiful views across the rolling countryside. But first, a couple of drinks in the bar area, served by a knowlegbable and helpful barman/waiter whilst another member of staff booked us a taxi home. We'd pre-ordered the tasting menu - I won't go into details but suffice to say, every course was delightful. I particularly enjoyed the tomatoes with ewe's curd and beetroot and my partner loved the variety of lemon puddings. There's a real pub atmosphere yet the service is quietly efficient and very friendly. We love visiting restaurants and the Pony & Trap is probably the best value posh nosh we've come across - tasting menu of 7 courses is £50 and wine is £20 (although one course had been dropped since we were there last - boo). We've had two absolutely great evenings at the Pony & Trap and I can't rate it highly enough.

• Visited June 2013
bristol
“Great Anniversary Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a fabulous meal in the restaurant with fabulous views over rolling hillsides.
The food is really high quality cooked well with real innovation around flavour combination.
The service was great, the food was great, and for an anniversary meal, it was fabulous.
It was about £70 for a 3 course fantastic meal with wine - so represents fine dining at good value.
We would definitely recommend.

• Visited June 2013