“Christmas Cheer?” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Burniston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Barn, a unique dining venue near Scarborough, on Yorkshires beautiful heritage coast.The traditional farm building was lovingly converted in 2008, and now houses a fully licensed cafe restaurant serving an exciting bistro menu.The cafe is open for breakfast, lunch and supper, and our fantastic, traditional Sunday lunch is renowned locally. Delicious cakes and home baking are served all day, along with a selection of speciality teas and cappuccino coffees.Our cosy log burner and friendly staff will make sure you have a warm welcome, or make the most of summer and sit outside, in our beautiful courtyard seating area.
York, Maine
“Christmas Cheer?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Yesterday, Christmas Eve 2012 we went to Hare's Leap for our per-booked Xmas dinner. We were very impressed with the pre- booking contact via email so that they could get the correct amount of ingredients bought in and prepared for us, without waste which I thought was very good. On arrival we all loved the place with the log stove which created a great atmosphere for our outing. The staff were very pleasant and service was very good. We had a pea and something crostini for starter which was very good, my daughter had a glass of wine which she described as cheap and nasty. Now here comes the massive disappointment, we had pre ordered a turkey breast parcel wrapped in bacon with stuffing in the middle and served with pan jus, roast potatoes, carrots and red cabbage. When the meal arrived the waiter apologised for it not being what we had ordered, what they gave us was two slices of turkey a la Bernard Matthews style, a strip of bacon on top and a slice of stuffing, the pan jus? May have been Bisto instant gravy but quite frankly wasn't as tasty as that. The carrots were virtually raw, the cabbage (a dessert spoonful) was great. The three roast potatoes though small were ok, the turkey was so dry I couldn't eat it even with extra pan jus, ( I do have a problem swallowing dry food but I can eat anything as long as there is a sauce) I couldn't eat it in fact I had to spit it out on to the plate and abandon it altogether. Comments flew round the table like, "reminds me of a school dinner" etc. for £12.00 we were feeling well ripped of and disappointed, the portion size was small too to say the least. MacDonalds Festive burger was now being discussed as the next stop! The vegetarian option which my wife had was very good!! Though she would have liked more sauce. My son didn't want a Christmas dinner and ordered soup and a sandwich, the soup was good, but the cheese sandwich was about 3 inches thick filled with grated cheese and was difficult to eat, and mostly bread. Needless to say we decided to abandon the idea of dessert and coffee and head elsewhere. The waiter asked if everything was ok, I told him no it wasn't and that we were very disappointed with our meal. He told the chef, no one spoke to us about the meal and when we got the bill and paid full price for everything, they gave us a voucher for 10% off our next visit, which as you can imagine was just adding insult to injury as we'd already decided never to go back again. Another major point is the red hot stove which adds wonderful ambience to the place has the word HOT written in chalk on the side of it, it is not protected by a guard of any kind, if I was taking young children there I would be very careful as this is a serious health and safety risk.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
“excellent local produce”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

potted duck and ham hock with cranberry sauce followed by turkeystuffed and wrapped in bacon with roast potatoes and red cabbage, was lovely. They do themed evenings too which will be the next visit here for me and I cant wait

Visited December 2012
“Something special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Been here and really enjoyed it, for a nice and good meal this is the place to be. Good sized portions and they even have theme nights.
You have to drive to it but then that's no biggie. I would definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“So confusing we ended up not eating!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Thursday`s is the day my daughter and i try different local eateries and today we decided that we were going to try The Hares Leap.
It all started off very well, we went inside along with my young grandson. We found a table in the lovely dining area downstairs and we proceeded to look through the menu. This is where it all started to go wrong!!!!
We had arrived at 11.40 am, on the menu it stated that Breakfasts are served until 11.30 am and Lunch begins at 12pm. We made choices from The Lunch Menu assuming that breakfast was over ( We actually Wanted Lunch) We were then told we Could NOT order from the Lunch Menu as it was not 12, my daughter and i looked bemused, but we were told we Could order from the Breakfast menu.
My daughter did not want anything from the breakfast menu and there was nothing to suit Young grandson on this menu. We were then told we could go and come back in 20 minutes, I asked if we could order from The Lunch menu and for it to be ready at 12. I was again told that it was not 12 so i could not order.
What i want to know is what happens in the 30 minutes between Breakfast ending at 11.30am and Lunch starting at 12?? I thought i was in some surreal alternative universe with strange rules that i did not understand.
I would Love to go back and Actually GET served, I hate to sound Preachy but i`m afraid if this attitude is used with some people you wont get a second chance. Remember Scarborough is like a Big Village and poor service will not be tolerated by it`s residents and News travels fast good and bad.
I will remember to arrive after the Magic 12pm next time and will hopefully experience your wonderful food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“One of those well kept secrets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a lovely place this is. Downstairs, a counter with a few select cheeses and delicacies for sale. Upstairs, a lovely warm intimate dining room. Actually there are about 4 tables downstairs too along with the wonderful wood burning stove that really does radiate that warmth.
Six of us went for Sunday dinner and were well pleased with our choice of venue. The service was excellent, with a good variety of bottled beers and wines on offer. Complimentary water was refreshed several times. The service was flawless throughout.
The food was really good, with some lovely combinations of fresh vegetables and flavours and second helpings were sent up fresh for us too. There was really nothing missing at all.
I would have liked a larger portion of meat, but even that doesn't prompt me to give this excellent little restaurant less than a full five stars.

• Visited November 2012