“Not nearly as good as expected” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Not nearly as good as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

It was nice food but that's about it! Was no better than a good pub meal. Pretty disappointed really because we had to book about 5 weeks in advance. Service was ok but it's definitely overrated.

Visited August 2011

Sydney
“Nice Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Due to parking issues I caught the train. It is less than five minutes walk from the station, so very convenient.

I treated myself to lunch and it cost me $140.00

I had one starter, one main, two sides (salad and chips) and one dessert. I also had two glasses of wine with the main dish, and a port to finish.

It was all cooked perfectly, it looked beautiful and tasted gorgeous.

But $140.00 for one person is extreme and certainly NOT something I could afford to do every day.

The staff were friendly and professional and the restaurant interior was attractive; also it was surprisingly quite considering it is located on a main road. I also agree with another forum member that the chairs were fairly uncomfortable to sit on long term. But maybe that was the point because they want bums on seats and turnover to make a profit; not lingering diners.

The only slightly off putting experience was near the ladies toilets. There was a scruffy unshaven man who was bleary eyed and looked like a drugged up rock star. He looked me up and down like I was something disgusting the cat had dragged in!

I was dressed smart casual in tailored knee length shorts and a short sleeved cotton blouse due to the warm weather. However, all the other diners were painted, perfumed and dressed to the nines and looked like they were spending the day at a VIP tent at the races. Still I felt I was acceptably dressed for lunch at an upmarket cafe on a humid weekday lunchtime. He obviously did not think so. Later found out the man was actually Dietmar Sawyere.

He totally ignored me during the lunch service but was doing some serious sucking up to diners on a nearby table. Personally I think chefs owners should be friendly to ALL their customers because surely ALL their customers are of equal importance.

I thought the whole situation was a little on the snobbish side but ultimately it was amusing for me to watch the art form of pandering taking place.

That amusing incident aside: I would highly recommend the restaurant for a beautiful lunch for a special treat. Otherwise find yourself a rich partner and have them pay!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great Bistro on Pacific highway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is really a great find. If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to go - then go! Great French inspired fare. Not inexpensive but worth every cent if you like quality dining

Visited May 2012
Wahroonga, Australia
“Fine dining but kid friendly too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We recently enjoyed a birthday meal at Ad Lib. It was a last minute booking but they managed to squeeze us in. A very busy place! The food was fantastic, service was great, and the restaurant looked after kids well. Next monday I have a business colleague in town from Singapore so we have booked Ad Lib again. Will do another update afterwards

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Dinner for two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Location: on Pacific highway
Parking: can be a problem
Menu: good variety, changes regularly
Seating: the chairs, uncomfortable for some
Ambience: can be noisy, especially when crowded
Staff: friendly, knowledgeable on last visit
Wine list: good selection, can be expensive
Open Monday's - a rare for restaurants, and it was busy!
Cost: expensive