“Wonderful food, officious staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 49 Restaurants in Wicklow
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful food, officious staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked the Strawberry Tree for a special family occasion as my siblings are "foodies" and I had long wanted to eat there myself. I should say first off that the food was everything we had hoped for and more. I had forgotten flavours and food could be so good. I enjoyed every mouthful and was glad that I had made the reservation for such a special occasion.
Would I go back? Well no. I found the person in charge to be officious, cold on arrival and efficient without any warmth. The other members of staff were quiet and almost timid when clearing the table and delivering the food. The atmosphere in the restaurant was muted and as a result of the staff, the whole meal could have felt intimidating only for the fact that I am not easily intimidated! What a shame!!!! It is not enough for the food to speak for itself when looking for a treat of a night out, if the whole package takes from the culinary delight it should have been.
The bar was comfortable and the staff there very friendly.
I have since spoken to a number of people about my feelings having eaten here and it would seem I am not alone. Most who live in the area say that there is an alternative (Monart) where the food is as good but the atmosphere is much better for an important meal out. I will try that next time. Shame!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Stroke City NI
“Organic Haute Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Strawberry Tree is well-respected as an organic centre of culinary excellence. I recently had a chance to dine there and found the experience absolutely tremendous. The varied menu, the staff and wine list, the ambience and personal touches make this a place to go back to for a special occasion.
The Strawberry Tree features a menu compris with 4 courses. Given the economic climate in Ireland presently, I wondered if the menu might be a little too pricey. In deference to the restaurant, organic food of this quality cannot be easy to assemble. As a consumer, I do believe in getting what you expect to pay for and the Strawberry Tree did not disappoint!

Visited July 2013
“Not worth it for the average man”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Having wanted to go here for a long time we went for a birthday meal, very excited. That didnt last. Small portions, big prices and average service. Stopped off in chip shop on way home, enough said

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had heard great things about the food here so were very disappointed when we eat here last week. There were 4 courses and I can honestly say that the only thing I really enjoyed was the bread basket served with pesto at the start of the evening. To start I had smoked salmon which was so over smoked I could taste nothing else, certainly not the pineapple salsa that was allegedly accompanying it. My next course was curried parsnip soup which was bland and tasteless. The "wild" duck that followed (would they serve up "tame" duck I wonder?) was practically raw and not to my taste. The final course of chocolate marquise and ice cream went mostly untouched - a first for me. Five of us ate and we were all disappointed with the food. The dining room is beautiful and the staff could not have been nicer or more attentive, it was just a pity the food didn't match it. Going by the rest of the reviews here perhaps they had a bad night, but for 65 euros a head we expected more. The steak sandwich I had in the hotel bar that afternoon was the best I have tasted and we thoroughly enjoyed staying at the hotel but sadly not the food at the Strawberry Tree.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“This is how food should be...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I visit here 2 or 3 times a year, usually as part of a stay at Brook Lodge with my wife. Not only is the food absolutely fantastic, the ethos behind it is something I can buy into. It is Ireland's only Certified Organic restaurant which means that the food is either organically produced or is wild. Indeed, it's at this restaurant where I regularly sate my passion for game (hung well). There are many people to thank for the brilliant food primarily Evan, Tim and Clothide but that's missing the exceptional and professional staff that works front of house, including a very knowledgeable sommelier (did I mention the great and well priced wine list).

This restaurant always hits the highest standards, though this is something I've come to expect (and look forward to) at Brook Lodge.

• Visited January 2013