“Great place for family gathering.” 4 of 5 stars

Arklow Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sea Road | Arklow Town Centre, Arklow, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Arklow
Dublin, Ireland
“Great place for family gathering.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We are just back from a weekend break in the Arklow Bay celebrating my father inlaws birthday. There were 28 of us including 5 young children. From the moment we booked this break, the numerous emails amending our booking to Eva in reservations to the friendly welcome from reception on our arrival, our weekend break was really enjoyable. They accommodated all of our group on one floor. Our rooms were pleasantly decorated and spotless clean. We had reservations for the restaurant for the meal which was part of our package, we were quite a large group, but they seated us all together, banquet style. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. They even reserved an area in the bar for us for after the meal so we could all sit together, as it was a saturday night and the bar was busy. Mark continued to look after us in the bar with great service. This is the 2nd family occasion we have held in the Arklow Bay. I would not hesitate to recommend it. The staff are all extremely helpful and pleasant. My father inlaw thorougly enjoyed his birthday celebrations with all his family around him, and the children had a great time.

Room Tip: Great view from rooms to the front :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Arrived on a very wet and cold December night, very nice interior, bar area and restaurant.
My room was good with a comfortable bed, unfortunatly some cigarette smell in the corridor, but the room was smoke free.
The door to the smoking area was left open so the smell made its way upstairs

Spoke to reception who told me smoking rooms were available.

Got swamped by young girls later as the hotel was hosting a Ballet performance- very nice atmosphere.

I did not take my swimsuit but the leisure centre looked very good, I will remember to take my Budgie Smugglers next time...and ask for a room in the non-smoking section

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the non-smoking section if the smell puts you off, if you are a smoker-they have s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Had a lovely few days with my daughters recently in the arklow bay hotel. The staff were very friendly. The food was high quality and the decor very upmarket. We had a spa treatment which is situated in the grounds of the hotel was very relaxing. The big shopping centre with loads of shops is just a short distance from then hotel and we were able to walk to it. It was very enjoyable and i would recommend it. Its a short drive from Dublin and the scenery on the way is spectacular. Co Wicklow is called the garden of Ireland and I would agree with that.

Room Tip: rooms facing the beach would have beautiful views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent one night in this hotel on a business trip to Ireland. The room was very comfortable with a beautiful view over the bay. However the flat roof of reception area below my room window was strewn with debris, rather unsightly. Food was good and staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Buenos Aires
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I hadn't been to Arklow in years and was looking forward to catching up with friends I hadn't seen in nearly two decades, so I chose the Arklow Bay because it was the only hotel in town that came close to three stars (US stars).

I arrived around 10:30 at night and the hotel was pretty deserted, except for a few people at the bar. I checked in and they put me on the 2nd floor. The room was a good size, the internet connection was strong and the bed was comfortable. What I found deplorable is that the only toiletry in the bathroom was a piece of soap the size of a quarter. I mentioned that the next day and miraculously a full bar of Dove soap appeared when I returned to my room.

I purchased the B&B package, which included full breakfast, which was a buffet. The orange juice was always empty and I had to ask for this each morning. There were scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals and yogurt. Scrambled eggs weren't so good but if you asked for fresh fried eggs, they would make them for you, which was nice.

One downside (which I knew in advance) was the location. It's about a 15-20 minute walk to the center of town. It's a nice walk if the weather is nice, but much of the time it's rainy and cold. One upside is the excellent health/fitness center next door. It had a very clean and well maintained pool, hot tub and gym - all included in the cost of the hotel room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Acapulco, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We checked in without booking after a long drive and were greeted by a very friendly and cheerful receptionist who sent us up to a comfortable enough but not very attractive room with a lousy view. Clearly there must be a lot of rooms with fabulous views, but to be fair, it was a weekend and there was at least one wedding going on, so I take the blame on this one! We had a good nights sleep and good buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our son and his new wife had their wedding reception in the Arklow Bay Hotel in August 2012 and to say it was a fantastic day is an understatement. From the moment it was booked they were looked after so professionally by all the staff and especially by Tina who was an absolute gem. All our guests commented on the food as being excellent and also on the accommodation, the food and bar staff and service and the leisure facilities. The second night as equally as good. All in all we would have hesitation in recommending the Arklow Bay. Thanks a mil to all concerned

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Arklow Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!