“Enjoyed a wonderful overnight stay with dinner in the hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vale of Avoca, Arklow, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Arklow
Dublin, Ireland
“Enjoyed a wonderful overnight stay with dinner in the hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

A friend of mine returned to Ireland from Australia for a short holiday and it was agreed a group of us would stay over and dine at the Woodenbridge. I drew the straw to organise the evening and a couple of phone calls and emails with Karen in the reservations office soon had us sorted out with ease.

The hotel is very comfortable and the staff are all friendly and helpful. The views from the room we stayed in were out of this world and although it was too cold to sit out on the balcony reading I intend to visit in warmer times just for the peace and the views.

The bar was full of locals mingling nicely with the tourists and Carmel provided the evenings entertainment singing all of our favourite songs ( shes there every week). The dinner was great plenty of good wholesome food , I can recommend the King Prawns and the steak.

Finally, it would be hard to find better value anywhere else, 65.00 euro for dinner, bed and breakfast. I'll be back

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your excellent review, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We would be delighted to welcome you back again and look forward to seeing you then.
Kind Regards,
Gerard O Brien.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I have just returned from the Woodenbridge Hotel. I stayed for 2 days and wish that I was still there! The hotel is one of the oldest in Ireland and is steeped in history.It dates from 1608 and has had such famous patrons such as Eamon De Valera and Michael Collins. It is set in the Vale of Avoca which was one of the prettiest locations of a very beautiful country.It is just 3km from the village of Avoca ( where they filmed Ballykiss Angel) and is just a few kms from the ancient monastic site of Glendalough. Our room had a balcony overlooking the golf course which was warm and comfortable. The hotel is very beautiful however what is really special about this place is the people. After sepnding just 2 days there I feel like I have made friends for life. The guys behind the bar, Lorcan and Connor looked after us so well. They epitomise everything that is good about that ledgendary Irish welcoming spirit. Thanks again for loking after us so well guys. We ate in the restaraunt and the food was of an exeptionally high standard. This is a rural community and many of the locals eat there some of which are farmers so you can imagine the standard of the steak I had. It was one of the best ive ever had. There is a very special vibe about this place which makes you feel so at home. We spent the evening in the company of many locals who seemed genuinely happy to have us there ( especially Bill from up the Hill and John). Breakfast was excellent and piping hot but you will do well to finish it. We hope to return soon and would seriously recommend this place to others. In summing up our experience, in a few words .....A beautiful hotel with beautiful people serving fantastic food in one of the friendliest environments ive ever been in.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments, I printed off your review and gave it to the lads in the bar, who did indeed remember you and were delighted at getting a mention in the review. Thanks again for your comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you return.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Our original plans had been to spend Christmas in Ireland in a self-catering cottage; however, after arriving and discovering that our cottage's pipes had frozen due to the cold weather, we changed our plans and stayed at the Woodenbridge for the duration of our trip. This was a wonderful decision!

From the moment that we arrived to the moment we departed, the staff was wonderfully kind and accommodating. As Christmas is generally a busy time of the year, we were pleased that they not only offered us a room for the length of our stay, but also were able to fit us in for the Christmas dinner in the hotel's banquet room.

Understanding our situation, the staff went out of their way to make sure that were were comfortable and well-attended. We can truly say that the Woodenbridge offered genuine Irish hospitality to two rather weather-stranded travelers from the States.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for your kind comments and say that I remember you well from your time here, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome you back again in the future. I know you ended up staying a lot longer than expected, but I’m glad we could do our bit to make your Christmas an enjoyable one.
La Chataigneraie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We were made very welcome and comfortable during the recent snow. The hospitality here is super, everyone friendly and helpful. Service at the hotel was perfect and we are looking forward to visiting again soon with our friends.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments, it is always great to get positive feedback from guests. I hope we do see you again, and would love to welcome you back when you return.
Wexford, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We've been to the Woodenbridge Hotel four times now....up to the latest visit, we just found it to be a really nice romantic getaway....it still is....waking up to the snow in the valley was wonderful with a balcony view.....but my word they really need to sort out the little things that make a huge difference. We didn't hang around the hotel much, so can't fault the service as we availed of very little but....the shower in our room required a manual to operate as it was linked to the bath...a sort of mixer....it's pot luck....the last room we had there was a lovely shower but surely that is a basic requirement of the luxury of getting away and paying for a service. And even though we love the location and will always do....there was one straw that broke the camels back......we got breakfast in the room.....delivered on time....but we didnt get what we ordered as such and although we asked for beans....there was none....a small enough mistake.....but we ordered tea....a simple pot of tea.....yes the tea-pot arrived....the milk...the cups.....but what to hell was in that tea-pot we could not figure out....my girlfriend threw up immediately on the taste of it ....it had a thick texture...a woeful taste....and most definitely was neither tea or coffee which would have been fine...we're not the kind to complain and are willing to accept that accidents happen etc.....but that was that for us.....unfortunately...a beautiful place...with great history...a romantic setting....a great centre for discovering Wicklow....but an awful standard is allowed in certain regards and you expect value for money to reflect quality too if your parting with hard-earned cash....if your looking for a safe bet.....dont take the chance.....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and apologies for the delay in replying. We do have comment cards in the rooms and reply to all comments left, and as a new years resolution, I am also going to reply to all comments left on trip advisor as well.
Firstly I would like to say I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay at Woodenbridge Hotel and Lodge. The showers in the room are a standard bath and shower mixer system, and generally we don’t have any issue with them, but if you would like to call me and let me know which room you were in, I will investigate it further. In the case of the breakfast, we don’t provide beans with the breakfast and for that reason it isn't listed on the room service menu, but perhaps this is something that should have been mentioned when delivering the breakfast. In the case of the pot of tea, I am not really sure how to respond, none of our staff here have been with us for less than a year, we serve thousands of pots of tea a year, and use a brand name tea bag, I can only put it down to carelessness, and apologies for what happened.
As a family owned and managed hotel, we take seriously all negative feedback and would hate to loose a good customer as a result. If you would like to contact me at the hotel to discuss it further I would be delighted to take your call.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

My family and I stayed one night in this hotel the room my daughter was given was on the second floor at the back of the hotel and there was a smell in the room of the toiler backing up after refusing the room the hotel changed the room again in the old part at the back My wife stayed in a room on the second floow that was filthy and there was no heat in the room and with the temp at 2c we could not sleep. The following morning we alll check out of the hotel and check into the Brook Lodge Hotel a real 4 star Never again would we use this cold filthy hotel. Also there was a hens party going on late in the bar on a Sat night

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay here at the hotel, as you can see from other reviews the vast majority of guest at the hotel have a positive experience. I would like to apologise if you felt the room wasn't up to standard during your stay here, cleanliness and comfort of guest’s bedrooms is something we take very seriously and I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further if you would like to contact me at the hotel. In the case of the bar, it can be quite lively at weekends, however it would be unusual to have a hen party as Woodenbridge is not usually a location for hen parties, but one of the charms of the hotel is the craic, atmosphere and occasional sing song in the four vales bar. On one small point, you mentioned you checked into the Brooklodge a real four star, we are in fact a three sat hotel and I think our rates in comparison to Brooklodge reflect that.
Finally I would like to once again thank you for your comments and assure you that we do take all feedback seriously.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I just spent a fabulous night in the Woodenbrige hotel. We were married in the hotel five years ago and returned to celebrate our anniversary. Five years on and the Service in the hotel is better than ever. We got a room with a view which was wonderful and the staff were just as friendly and approachable as ever. Will be brining the kids next year! Would highly recommend hotel for a family or romantic getaway!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

It's great to hear such positive comments from our guests, and I apologise for the delay in replying. We are delighted that you returned you celebrate your anniversary with us, and we are thrilled that we did not disappoint. We hope to see you back here every year!

Is mise le meas, Ciara

Been to Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge? Share your experiences!