We really didn't know what to expect on our first night in Ireland, as we intended to get out of Dublin first thing to see some of the rest of the country before returning to the big city. We were situated in the Lodge, and given adjoining rooms, as requested, as we were traveling as a family - parents with our four children.
Dinner was available in the on site pub, and the choices were diverse enough to accommodate our family well. We were also surprised, having lived in Germany, that the water was free and plentiful. There were choices of local Irish fare, and of course plenty of Guinness and Smithwick on tap.
We retired to our rooms which were clean, accommodated our family well - with a double bed and a single bed in each room, and the bathrooms were clean and met our needs as well. Our rooms were plenty warm in the Lodge, so much so that we had to turn the heat down for a little while and crack the window to cool down a bit. There were plenty of choices for viewing on the provided television to appease our group. And although WiFi was included, we had difficulty getting sufficient signal in our room and had to step in the hallway frequently to reconnect to the router.
Breakfast the next morning was amazing. There were plenty of dry cereals, juices, and fruit laid out in buffet style, and they also had about seven different choices for meats and eggs to order as well. The server was patient with our large family and the food was served very quickly and very hot. The black pudding here was great!
Overall, we were very pleased with our visit to Woodenbridge Hotel and Lodge, and highly recommend it to anyone traveling the area. With the on site pub providing meals in this somewhat remote area, and the included breakfast, it is a great full service hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the vale of Avoca, one of Ireland’s most beautiful locations, and established in 1608, Woodenbridge hotel is the oldest hotel in Ireland and one of the few remaining family-run hotels. The hotel itself overlooks the vale of Avoca and the amazing Woodenbridge golf club, while Woodenbridge lodge is adjacent to the main hotel and is surrounded by peaceful gardens on the banks of the Aughrim River. All of the rooms are en-suite and with complimentary wireless access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Priceline so you can book your Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodenbridge Hotel And Lodge
- Woodenbridge Hotel Arklow
- Best Western Woodenbridge Hotel
- Best Western Arklow
- Arklow Best Western