“hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vale of Avoca, Arklow, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Arklow
“hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

we stayed on a one night deal break and we had a ball. first impressions of the hotel were fantastic. we arrived a bit early but our rooms were ready for us and it was no problem as the staff were fantastic and welcoming. we had booked the lodge, just across from the main hotel, as the hotel was fully booked. the lodge was very clean , modern and quiet which helped us all get a good nights sleep. we eat in the bar in the evening as live entertainment was to come on later that night. the food was some of the best hotel food i have ever tasted, i would travel down from Dublin again just for the food. the variety and portion size was great and value for money also.we look forward to our next stay soon.

Room Tip: if you can, get a hotel room as the hotel is over four hundred years old and full of character, but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sinéad O, Reservations at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your glowing review, I'm so glad you enjoyed your break with us. We are very particular when it comes to selecting produce for our kitchen, we do not cut corners - and it's because of this attention to detail we have built up such a great dining reputation. Our bar menu is served from 12.30 - 9.00pm daily so if you're in the area again, keep us in mind if you're stopping for a bite to eat. Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Sinéad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

A birthday/valentines gift wrapped into one brought me to the beautiful vale of Avoco. Oh such a beautiful wonderland, a touch of snow, a bite of frost, a hot whiskey and a blazing fire, what more could a body want. The hotel itself is quite old, (approx. 400 years) and is billed as one of the oldest in Ireland, while this is quite quaint there are areas that could do with an upgrade, however nothing that you wouldn't expect in such an oldey worldey hotel. Our bedroom had its own small balcony and gave us wonderful views over the golf course and the valley, unfortunately the heating in our bedroom wasn't the warmest, but when we pointed this out we were immediately supplied with a blow heater which got the room very cosy indeed. The bathroom could have done with a bit of modernisation but was adequate, but the bed, Oh My, Oh My, the most comfortable, snuggliest hotel bed I have ever slept in. The staff could not have been more helpful, respectful, approciable or pleasant. What a lovely group of people. Breakfast was delicious and piping hot, on the second morning we selected to have breakfast served in our room, it arrived at the exact time we specified and was again piping hot. We didnt sample the inhouse restaurant in the evening, instead we opted for the bar food, which was tasty. Quite a busy hotel with a bit of live entertainment in the bar at night, have to point out that it cannot be heard in the bedrooms which is always a plus. Overall I would recommend a stay in the Woodenbridge Hotel and Lodge and I am looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the front of the hotel
Dear guest,
Thank you for your lovely review, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. As they say - "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and here at Woodenbridge each plate is cooked to order to ensure a perfectly cooked serving each and every time. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a return visit.
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We chose the Woodenbridge for a night away as it seemed remote yet close to Dublin. We got there in just over an hour. Its about 6km outside of Arklow.
The Hotel is as it is in the photos, old style set back on a verge. We had booked a room in one of the new lodges as all the rooms in the Hotel were booked out. The new lodges are actually quite nice, big, spacious but basic. Ours was facing over the river so you got that feeling of 'being away'.
We had lunch at the Hotel and we were not overally impressed, it was average being bar food.
There was a good atmosphere around the Hotel as it was very busy, we didn't venture out but more to the bar!!
We find it fun to sit at a bar and watch the comings and goings of everyone and this Hotel was perfect for that.
Overall the staff were very good, very friendly and made you feel welcome.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was part of the package. The food was excellent.
We stayed up socialising until the early hours and had a great night.

The only problem is and some might say its a problem that will put them off going here is the bar prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are very aware of Dublin bar prices and there is nothing like feeling your paying a little less when away, the prices here were the same as if not more that Dublin City Centre. A Pint bottle of Bulmers was 5.65!!!!!! Guys, this is a 3 star Hotel in Co Wicklow, why in the name of good is it so expensive??
I do not understand the mentality of this as surely you want people to return. We would not under any circumstances go back because of this, the shorts were also very dear, nearly 5 euro for a bacardi on its own and 2.65 approx for the mixer , DISGRACEFUL!!!!!
You just got the feeling when you left that the Hotel got what they could of you and sent you packing.
We certainly will not be back because of this and we were so hoping we found a gem.
I am looking forward to the Hotels response here as to why they are charging these prices and feel they need to mark the drink up with these margins.
For what its worth we were not the only ones complaining about it, there were quite a few.
Such a pity!!

Room Tip: Chose a room inthe lodges with a river view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your email and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. I’m sorry that you found the prices in the bar expensive, but I can assure you it isn’t our attention to rip anybody off.
However I would like to explain my position to you. The last four or five increases in price have been as a result of either changes brought in by Government, in the form of VAT and excise increases over the last few budgets, or by increases from the various suppliers. We took the hit on one of the vat increases however are not in a position to absorb them all. I know there are many pubs around the country that have absorbed these increases and as a result are cheaper, but with one pub a day closing in 2012, I would question the wisdom of this strategy. We have dropped the price of all our food and accommodation since the peak, by as much as 30% in some cases, yet as a family owned and run hotel we have to make money to survive, and can’t rely on the support of banks or other organisations such as NAMA.
However in saying that I am very conscious of the fact that we need to offer value, and for this reason we are in the middle of producing a new bar menu which will feature a host of value deals, which is a first for us and is as a response to customer feedback and is aimed at offering more value for customers. We have also recently introduced a loyalty card system, which I hope you received on check out, where customers who stay with us receive money off their next stay. I will also make a commitment to you to review our drink prices, but in saying that, only yesterday I got a call from one of the major bottle beer suppliers saying he needs to meet me because their prices are going up.
Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you again in the future.
Regards,
Gerard.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Came here with a group of work colleagues to celebrate a big birthday. The staff in the hotel could not do enough to help us out in both restaurant, bar and checking in.
Would have no problem recommending to anyone food was fabulous and great value for money.

Room Tip: Lodges are lovely and away from the hustle of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I'm glad you enjoyed the birthday celebrations! Hopefully we will see you back here at some stage during the year.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I've was staying for 4 days at the Woodenbridge Hotel. The stay was really nice and so are the staff, in the end I was almost sorry to leave. Upon arriving I found myself in a sea of smiles from the very first person I met, Michelle. She explained everything I had available to me although i had many questions nothing was ever to much, she is a credit to your hotel. Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bedroom is also spacious and very clean. Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs,and I found the best around. With each breakfast I became more spoiled. These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the you for your choice of front office personnel. I felt completly at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear James,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it's wonderful to receive such positive feedback. We do our best to make our guests feel at home, and I'm delighted this has not gone unnoticed. We look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited Woodenbridge recently for an overnight stay with dinner. The Lodge rooms are clean, comfortable and it was pleasant to have the river view from the little balcony. The Residents lounge is comfortable if small and it's interesting to see the photos of the famous visitors to the hotel on the wall - including former Irish President Eamonn De Valera who spent his honeymoon there many many years ago. Dinner was good - well cooked and the menu was varied. The dining room has an old fashioned charm and the staff are very helpful and courteous. This hotel is busy with weddings, so the Lodge rooms are probably best as they are away from the main hotel. The only drawback is the walk from the hotel to the Lodge - about 5 minutes away, which is fine except on a windy cold evening! The location of this hotel is good as it's right in the Garden of Ireland (Wicklow) so is near some beautiful scenery, walks and beaches.

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review of your recent lodge stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your break and found the team so courteous. We hope to see you again for a return visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We made our second visit to this hotel on Sat the 9th Feb. Again we stayed on a Groupon deal, and it was fantastic value for one night plus Breakfast. We brought another couple along with us this time. Last time we were upgraded to a balcony view room looking over golf course, this time although these rooms were unavailable we were allocated another lovely room. In a nutshell this is a a beautiful old hotel(400 yrs old), with no spas or swimming pool, which only adds to its appeal.! Its in one of the most scenic locations on this side of the east coast, a short drive will take you back to Arklow where you will find the Bridgewater shopping centre and cinema. An ideal location for ramblers and cyclists alike.

We did not eat in the hotel last time, but this time we booked the restaurant and it did not disappoint! The set menu at 28 Euro was excellent value(5 euro surcharge for the steak). The service in both the restaurant and bar was also faultless , with friendly helpful staff. A sing song in the bar, followed by another lovely dining experience for breakfast , made for a brilliant stay.

To sum up, this hotel, has kept all its original charm, but is up to the minute for food and service. If you like modern asthetic type hotels with big foyers, and leisure centres this is not for you. If your ideal hotel break, involves a relaxed chilled kick back, with excellent service, take a visit .You wont be sorry. !

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have view over golf course.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sinéad O, Reservations at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
It was great to have you back to stay with us again to experience the warmth of the Woodenbridge Welcome. We do our best to make our guests feel like this is their "home away from home", and the history of the hotel certainly adds to the charm. Thank you for your comments regarding our food, we pride ourselves on our fine cuisine, while maintaining value for money for our guests. We hope to see you back again here again soon for another break.
Sinéad

Been to Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge? Share your experiences!