We chose the Woodenbridge for a night away as it seemed remote yet close to Dublin. We got there in just over an hour. Its about 6km outside of Arklow.
The Hotel is as it is in the photos, old style set back on a verge. We had booked a room in one of the new lodges as all the rooms in the Hotel were booked out. The new lodges are actually quite nice, big, spacious but basic. Ours was facing over the river so you got that feeling of 'being away'.
We had lunch at the Hotel and we were not overally impressed, it was average being bar food.
There was a good atmosphere around the Hotel as it was very busy, we didn't venture out but more to the bar!!
We find it fun to sit at a bar and watch the comings and goings of everyone and this Hotel was perfect for that.
Overall the staff were very good, very friendly and made you feel welcome.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was part of the package. The food was excellent.
We stayed up socialising until the early hours and had a great night.
The only problem is and some might say its a problem that will put them off going here is the bar prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are very aware of Dublin bar prices and there is nothing like feeling your paying a little less when away, the prices here were the same as if not more that Dublin City Centre. A Pint bottle of Bulmers was 5.65!!!!!! Guys, this is a 3 star Hotel in Co Wicklow, why in the name of good is it so expensive??
I do not understand the mentality of this as surely you want people to return. We would not under any circumstances go back because of this, the shorts were also very dear, nearly 5 euro for a bacardi on its own and 2.65 approx for the mixer , DISGRACEFUL!!!!!
You just got the feeling when you left that the Hotel got what they could of you and sent you packing.
We certainly will not be back because of this and we were so hoping we found a gem.
I am looking forward to the Hotels response here as to why they are charging these prices and feel they need to mark the drink up with these margins.
For what its worth we were not the only ones complaining about it, there were quite a few.
Such a pity!!
- Also Known As:
- Woodenbridge Hotel Arklow
- Woodenbridge Hotel And Lodge
- Best Western Woodenbridge Hotel
- Woodenbridge Hotel
- Best Western Arklow
- Arklow Best Western
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the vale of Avoca, one of Ireland’s most beautiful locations, and established in 1608, Woodenbridge hotel is the oldest hotel in Ireland and one of the few remaining family-run hotels. The hotel itself overlooks the vale of Avoca and the amazing Woodenbridge golf club, while Woodenbridge lodge is adjacent to the main hotel and is surrounded by peaceful gardens on the banks of the Aughrim River. All of the rooms are en-suite and with complimentary wireless access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.