“Woodenbridge - a great find” 5 of 5 stars

Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vale of Avoca, Arklow, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Arklow
Caloundra, Australia
“Woodenbridge - a great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We particularly wanted to visit Avoca as we loved the ABC show 'Ballykissangel' made by the BBC in the very pretty little town of Avoca in County Wicklow, Ireland. Unfortunately we couldn't find any accommodation there but came across this great hotel/lodge at Woodenbridge, about 3/4kms south of Avoca. It is set in beautiful surroundings and from our room we had views out across the road to the river and mature forests. There is also a great golf club just down the road. The hotel was built in the early 1600's but we stayed in the newer Lodge, attached to the hotel. The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful; our room was very comfortable and our ensuite which had a shower over the bath was very clean. There is free wifi available in the room. Breakfast was included and although it wasn't one of our best in Ireland, it was still very adequate. For dinner you can eat either in the pub or the restaurant - we choose the pub and we would definitely recommend it. Great food, good value and very friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your lovely feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Gerard O Brien.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I enjoyed so much a stay at Woodenbridge recently -- the staff were terrific, the room was great, and we had such a fun evening - music and laughter. I'd recommend the experience to anyone -- a great home away from home.

Room Tip: Highway side
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for the lovely feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed here on 4th November with my 3 year old son. I really enjoyed it, very friendly and I didn't feel uncomfortable about staying alone with my young son. Food in bar was good and breakfast was excellent.The first room we were allocated wasn't really suitable because there was a huge security light on the balcony which made the room really bright and impossible to get a toddler to sleep in!! We were moved immediatly to a different room which was great. Very traditional hotel - flowery curtains and patterened carpet which I like but wouldn't be everyone's taste if you like a more modern boutique style.I really enjoyed it and would def go back

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thanks for your comments from your recent stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I’m glad you were made to feel comfortable throughout. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I am just back from a weekend at the Woodenbridge Hotel. What a beautiful Hotel full of History , charm and wonderful staff. The food was top class and the views from the rooms are to die for. A special word of thanks to Tom the barman who remembered my drink without having to ask and to Ger the manager who organised a round of golf and recommended some beautiful walks.

I cannot fault this hotel, If you are looking for a hotel with character, old fashioned Irish Hospitality and somewhere to recharge the batteries than you cant go wrong with the Woodenbridge. Heres to the next 405 years!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your excellent comments from your recent stay at the hotel, and I'm glad you enjoyed the golf I arranged for you. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and I would be more than happy to arrange the golf again, but I can't guarantee that Tom will still remember your drink. Thanks again.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We needed to get away from the hustle and bustle in Dublin during Halloween and this was the perfect place. If like us, you don't drive, you can get to Arklow by train from Connolly Station or by bus (route 2) from Busaras. When in Arklow though, you have to call a taxi to pick you up as there are no taxi ranks or taxis going around, they have to come from either Wicklow or Aughrim. Go into the souvenir shop and the lovely lady there will give you a number to call. The Woodenbrige Hotel is on a hill, with stunning views of the Vale of Avoca, river and the Woodenbridge Golf Club right across from our room. We stayed in room 202, away from the main hotel, on the right wing, second floor, with a small balcony. Views from our room were brilliant ! The room itself was spacious and airy, one comfy double bed and one single bed in it, flat screen tv, tea/coffee facilities, bathroom was clean and quite big, with a bath/shower and plenty of towels, shampoo, handwash and bodywash. We had breakfast in bed twice and the big fry was excellent ! We ate in the Redmond Restaurant for one night and we ate in the Four Vales Bar the second night. Food was lovely. His chicken fajitas were massive and my roast pork was melt in the mouth. I forgot to ask the chef how he cooked it so tender ! Profiterolles were perfect and raspberry cheesecake yummy. Staff were really friendly, always ready to help out and answer your queries. There is no lift in the hotel, so be aware that there are a few steps and corridors to get to the second floor. There is a footpath near the main road that goes from the hotel to Avoca (3kms up - 3kms back), which is really handy and lovely to do. There are also trails in the forest accross from the hotel, where the lodges are if you choose not to stay in the hotel. The lodges are by the river.
We very much enjoyed our first time stay in the hotel, we had peace and quiet and played pool in t"he cow house" (the back pub), and read and relaxed in this old charm style hotel. If you are looking for fancy leisure spa, swimming pool and buzz, you are in the wrong place. It's the perfect place to hide away from everything, makes you feel homely. We will be back and please say thanks to all the staff that helped us to unwind and relax.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on second floor if you are a smoker, as all rooms are non-smoking. Als...
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
gerard O Brien.
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Stayed in a lodge this weekend and I loved it there. Clean room, all staff very nice and friendly, and the room with a balcony was perfect. The nature around is amazing (first time in Ireland and all I wanted to see was green hills and sheeps - plenty there). Made a trip to the cost, not far away and it was soo beautiful.
If you spot J.D. (maybe mispealed his name - a farmar living nearby the hotel), tell him we went to the church (actually twice as the first one was Anglican and I am a catholic :-), anyway the mess was nice with that charming lady as well.
Irish people are very nice, hospitable and have a great sence of humor. Hope to come again. Ivana, Prague

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay with us, and I’m glad it was an enjoyable one. I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel, and I will pass on your comments to JD. Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed at this lovely Hotel and Lodge for a short break. We had a room at the Lodge overlooking the river. Everything about Woodenbridge was excellent. The staff were very pleasant and helpfull. Food was nice. The golf club is just across the road. Its only a short drive from Arklow. Avoca is very close, (about 4 k) in fact you could walk as there is a foot path all the way to the meeting of the waters-where 2 rivers meet. We drove to Glendalough and visited the Monastic Site, walked around the lakes- there is a great walk along by the lake and on to the old mining settlement, over the mountain and back to Glendalough- approx 13k- magic scenery.Woodenbridge is great as you can drive to lots of interesting places as well as enjoying the peace and quite of the Avoca valley.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the lodge ask for a room with a river view
Dear Guest,
I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for the excellent feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Gerard O Brien.

Been to Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge? Share your experiences!