“Ideal location for an early morning ferry” 4 of 5 stars

Harbour View Hotel
N25 - Rosslare Harbour, Rosslare, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rosslare
Northern Ireland
“Ideal location for an early morning ferry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a great stay at the beginning of the week. Accommodation was good and the staff were so friendly. Had dinner in the bar with my teenage son and were very accommodating. Was recommended too me and I would be happy to recommended too especially if you are catching an early ferry from Rosslare

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a pub with rooms rather than a hotel; food and breakfast are eaten in the main pub area. We were lucky enough to have a double aspect room, we could either look at the large petrol station next door, or look down on the gaggle of noisy smokers who gathered under our window. The hotel is at the top of the quite steep incline from the port, noisy when the 3.00am ferry docks.
The charge for B&B was €90.00, this is high for 2013, but I guess they have a captive audiencefor ferry travellers. Room was adequate, old stained bedcover, but clean beddding. Towels small and of poor quality.
The only bright light were the staff who were delightful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the rear and not above the noisy pub.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel prior to returning to the UK, as it is extremely close to the Ferry Terminal. The room was large and very clean, except for the bedspread, which was old and stained. We removed this and found that the blankets and sheets underneath were very clean and fresh. We had breakfast in the morning and it was of excellent quality.

Unfortunately for us the stay was spoilt by an incredibly heavy snorer in the next room, making it impossible to sleep and although the staff did what they could, the hotel was fully booked and they could not move us to another room. Improving the sound insulation between rooms would be a benefit.

The downside of being so close to the Ferry Terminal is that there is considerable traffic on the road outside and the articulated lorries made the windows vibrate as they passed. We would recommend staying in a room that does not face the main road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face onto the main road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is an excellent stopover for travellers spending a night in Rosslare before or after taking the ferry to Fishguard or Pembroke Dock. The hotel could not be more convenient and is located on the left hand side just outside the dockyard gates.

Rooms are fairly basic but spacious, clean, comfortable and warm. Dinner and breakfast are taken in the busy bar which is full of local folk having a drink or a meal but the service, nevertheless, is prompt and charming. The food, which includes Chinese dishes (the hotel is also a Chinese Restaurant) is delicious. Breakfast is also excellent and is served from 6.45 am giving travellers plenty of time for the early ferries. There is ample parking.

I was sad to read that a previous reviewer had found the staff rude as we found them all welcoming, friendly and anxious to help (including the bald-headed, Eastern European chap with the facial piercings who could not do enough for us!) Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Clonakilty, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We usually stay in another hotel but they were completely booked because of the Ploughing Championships in New Ross. We booked the Harbour View prior to boarding the ferry to Wales and on our return.

The room we stayed in was far superior to the other hotel, the food and service was excellent and the staff were extremely obliging.

We could not fault the service and would certainly book this hotel again. It was directly opposite the ferry which made the trip so much easier.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the one room which was excellent and overlooked the ferry.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Last time I was in Ireland I called in here for a meal before boarding the ferry. I was so impressed I booked a couple of nights. Very nice room, a smoking room which is so unusual nowadays. Good size, comfortable bed and big bathroom. Excellent range of food and lovely friendly staff

• Stayed September 2012
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel I was staying in recommended this place to go and have a meal at. I went into the harbour view hotel to be met with some of the rudest staff I have had the misfortune to come across, the only civil person was a waitress called Tricia. The place was busy because a ferry had apparently been cancelled , but it was not as busy as I have seen many places and the staff seemed overwhelmed by a little bit of a rush, to such an extent they were rude. I was told I would have to wait, which was fine, so I went to get a drink, where I was ignored for some time, eventually I ordered my drink of a young man who was bald and appeared to be germanic in origin, not quite sure of his nationality, but he was jumping about from one place to another, concentrating on nobody but himself. I got my money out to pay, I was ignored for another 5 minutes he came over and told me I hadn't paid, I said I attempted to but he dissapeared, then he became very rude and started berating me, I tried to pay him, then he dissapeared again for another 5 minutes or so, then he came back and said come on you need to pay, again I told him I had tried to, again he was excessively rude. I eventually got a table, but only because I had jumped to it. The waitress, a rather burly dark haired woman ignored me for a long time, then eventually I got to order, she was very unfriendly bordering on rude. It goes on. suffice to say it got no better and it was a totally demoralising trip to get a meal that wasn't that nice, as it was too salty. I would NEVER recommend this place

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Harbour View Hotel? Share your experiences!