“Dirty and in need of TLC” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Botleigh Grange Hotel

You added Botleigh Grange Hotel to your Saves list
Botleigh Grange Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grange Road, Hedge End SO30 2GA, England (Formerly The Legacy Botleigh Grange Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
Bath, United Kingdom
“Dirty and in need of TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with a groupon deal. was really looking forward to a bit of luxury. Dissapointing to say the least. reception staff were not welcoming. The bar was not manned so kept having to ask for a bar person at reception. Our room was big but filty, there are two armchair that were covered in stains and falling apart. The bathroom was dirty in fact the worst i have seen. The shower was covered in brown stains and mould, the tiles were covered in water marks. No hairdryer in our room and when I asked reception for one she said ALL rooms have one accusing me of lying basically.
Food was good but wine really over price, restaurant staff friendly and attentive.
The spa was ok but fully booked for any treatments over our two day stay, the staff were not very friendly either.
Over all a very expensive version of Faulty Towers.
Would not recommend or return.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Fareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hotel is lovely however as it is older (we stayed in the original building -Room 44 with the round window you can see as you drive in) the rooms feel a little bit shabby. All very clean but I guess the hotel just needs a little bit of a refresh. I understand though that in the current economic climate that is hard to do. Food for our evening meal was very nice however the size of the dining room was too large to really allow any romantic atmosphere. When they have fewer guest staying (the dining room was 2/3 full) they should invest in some partitions to create more of an intimate experience and could really work on the lighting.

Had an hours treatment at the SPA and this only lasted 40 minutes by the time they called me in and we talked through my treatment. Was supposed to be 4-5pm but I was ushered to the relaxation room at 4.50..... (This is a particular bug bear of mine!).

I would stay here again as its where we stayed on our wedding night and the staff are lovely and very attentive and polite however for somewhere really special with more attention to detail I think I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Arrived here to be knocked out by the beauty of the building and the setting. Never thought I would be staying in something so gracious. Our room was huge and beautifully appointed and the special deal provided by Legacy Hotel made it very affordable. We had a gorgeous view from our window and the walks through the grounds were lovely. Excellent food and service. A lovely place for a wedding and we were lucky enough to witness two, one an Indian one, which was just fabulous to observe from a distance. Botleigh Grange is a reasonable taxi ride to Southampon, so suitable for anyone embarking on a cruise from there. Well worth a visit.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Don't let some of the mediocre reviews put you off. We spent 5 nights here,a short break to celebrate our 37th anniversary. Our room (no>22) was bright & clean & very spacious. over-looking the beautiful grounds & lakes. The bathroom also was large with a big bath tub fitted with rails (I am almost totally blind). Would certainly stay here again. Breakfast was very good but would have preferred buffet every day as some days you are more hungry than others & it's good to be able to make your own selection. our room was conveniently located near the lift. There were 2 weddings on, one evening & we were not at all disturbed by these functions.
only minor negatives. sash windows would not stay open so room was hot. Hospitality tray - bit mean - 1 tea-bag & ginger bics (yeuk) but the arrival of the highland cattle near our room more than made up for it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here twice over the past few months, both were 'girls night in' bookings which included use of the spa and dvds/popcorn/pizza/ice cream in your room. One was for my birthday, another was for a friends. The grounds were lovely, the spa was ok and the room was nice except when trying to sleep, it was like being in a sauna!
On both occasions there was a wedding on and this seemed the priority of ALL staff. I had to wait at the bar for ages to get a drink as the wedding guests were all served first. A woman at the spa was rude to my friend then we found out she was giving the massage that i'd bought for my friend as a treat!
The first time I went, there was popcorn waiting on the bed so when I enquired as to why it wasn't there on my second visit, the receptionist barked at me that they could bring it up whenever they wanted. I rang reception later in the evening to find out what flavours of ice cream they had and the woman said that they didn't have time to ask as they were serving dinner at the wedding even though I could see from my window that the dinner was finished! She evntually told us the wrong flavours..! The pizzas were very nice and we had a lovely evening. The wedding discos usually go on to midnight so it's probably not a place to take young children, not that I minded. It was quite funny watching the goings on from our window.
All in all, I think that the focus is all on weddings and to hell with the other guests which isn't great because the other guests are all paying too...

Room Tip: Don't go for the second floor in the summer! Check to see if they have any weddings or proms on...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is full of character. The staff were warm and friendly and very professional, arriving very late at night nothing seemed too much trouble. The bedroom was exquisite, a lovely large room and a large Four Poster bed. The furniture replicated the Victorian period but the room also contained all modern touches and appliances. A very comfortable stay with lovely view of the well kept formal gardens. Breakfast was served in a large friendly dinning area with a very good selection of meal options. Staff were on hand to advise and support as necessary.
I thoroughly enjoyed my all but too brief stay, at the Legacy Botleigh Grange Hotel Southampton. I would definitely recommend it as a place for a self-indulgent stay.

Room Tip: extra charm ask for a room with a four poster bed
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked a spa day at the Botleigh Spa, to include use of the spa, robes and lunch. I am a regular user of spas and this was the worst spa day I have had. The steam room wasn't working but there was a sauna so that wasn't too bad. However they cleaned the pool and emptied the jacuzzi (due to PH levels) whilst we were there and waiting to use them. This was midday on a Monday and the spa didn't open until 10am so the timing was not only bad but dangerous as we had to walk past an empty jacuzzi. We were asked to change out of our slippers to go to lunch and put on our outdoor shoes as we had to walk in the rain to the bar for lunch. The lunch was a sandwich or pasta with no drink.. normally we get a healthy option with a nice drink at spas. All in all more of a Fawlty Towers experience rather than the luxury spa day we were hoping for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Botleigh Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!