“Dated but still a very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Botleigh Grange Hotel

You added Botleigh Grange Hotel to your Saves list
Botleigh Grange Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grange Road, Hedge End SO30 2GA, England (Formerly The Legacy Botleigh Grange Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
Cornwall
“Dated but still a very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with the family after the Boatshow - good location for that by the way, only 20 minutes drive.
Having read previous reviews I was expecting it to be more of an 80's through back but to be fair whilst it's true it could do with an update here and there it's still nice.
We got there an there was a wedding on and the hotel was reallly quite busy but not too obtrusive. We elected to eat in the lounge bar after visiting the spa- The spa whilst small was very pleasant and all work as expected and all included in the price
We then went to grab lunchbin the lounge bar which was a challenge getting a table as it was full and we then found out so was the dining room. We did grab one after a while and the staff were helpful and the food whilst a little pricy was tasty.

Our room was at the front and was very well appointed and comfortable and our bathroom the former clock tower with Westminster chime, fortunately that's not the case anymore!
Breakfast was good, a nice selection and hot and tasty

Would I recommend it and would i come again? Yes I would!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights and sadly I must say that I would NEVER stay there again. The hotel is so dated and shabby. The whole place is desperate for a full refurbishment with bedrooms and the rather peculiar reception area being top of the list.This hotel needs a LOT of money spending on it.
Lets start with check-in. The receptionist was curt and unwelcoming and offered no help in carrying my suitcase and bags upstairs to the bedrooms. I had to ask were the lift was and was told in an unfriendly manner that the lift is really only used by the housekeeping staff. When you see the lift you will understand why - it looks like it is from the last century and is small, cramped and dingy. Check out was equally unpleasant, with the receptionist not even bothering to ask if I had enjoyed my stay.
The bedroom itself had the potential to be lovely - it was large and had a lovely view of the gardens at the back of the hotel. However it looked like it was stuck in a time warp with scuffed 1980's furniture, threadbare carpets that were coming away from the skirting boards and a terribly dated bathroom. There is also a very annoying problem with the floor boards sqeaking, they sqeak so loudly I was tempted to try to walk to the bathroom on my hands in the middle of the night, to avoid waking up the entire hotel.
The standard of houskeeping was also very mediocre. There was a large blob of shaving foam on the right hand side of the bathroom sink when I arrived and it remained there for the duration of my stay.

The food served in the bar area was really poor quality - typical chicken in a basket style 80's frozen food. The bar staff were nice enough and quite helpful. Breakfast was much better quality and the staff serving it were very good, but the decor and ambiance in the restaurant was dredful. Unfortunately there was no room service and for a single traveller this was very disappointing. I tried to make an appointment in the Spa for a beauty treatment but even though I rang their number for 3 hrs solid, nobody answered the phone. Eventually I went down to the Spa myself to be told they were fully booked, there was nobody in!! Whilst talking to the assisitant I saw her cut off several phone calls that were coming through. This young lady obviously wanted a 'quiet night' and was openly preventing people from making bookings.
All in all this hotel is in a sad state - it was obviously quite grand about 30yrs ago but it is so dated and shabby now, it is a shadow of its former self.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I booked this thru Groupup for my best friend's 20th wedding anniversary weekend treat, they came back full of compliment of the services, location, hotel deco, quality of meals & Spa facility which made their special day extra special. They even moved the first night dinner to 2nd evening due to my friends work schedule & unable to made it before 9pm, despite there was a wedding party on Sat night they enjoyed the meals & evening very much.

Compliment to the reception & staff in restaurant, bar & excellent hotel for a weekend break for someone who's special. Thank you!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I treated my husband (& myself!) to a 2 night Groupon deal at this hotel and we both had a very enjoyable stay! As the first night's evening meal was included, I didn't expect too much but was very pleasantly surprised when I saw the menu & even more so when our food arrived! Service was a little slow, but we didn't mind as the surroundings are lovely & it gave us time to relax & take in the atmosphere, and it was certainly worth the wait - food was amazing! All three courses were delicious and there was plenty of it which is unusual! We had planned to eat out the second day, but changed our mind & booked for the following night - and were not disappointed!

It is well situated, near the New Forest and good links to Portsmouth & Southampton. Bathroom was a little tired & could do with updating, but it was clean & tidy.

The Spa was lovely - one of the best massages I have ever had and well worth having. My only slight negative is that it could have better facilities within the spa as the steam room & sauna were both very small and not very inspiring! Also I personally prefer a quiet pool with ambient lighting rather than a swimming pool to relax in, but that is just my preference & I must admit there was a beautiful view over the lawns!

Would certainly return if we have the chance!

Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel a few months ago and enjoyed it so much that we decided to come back.I emailed the manager and he managed to put us in the same room that is comfortable and homely. We were welcomed by friendly reception staff. When we arrived in our room we had a wonderful surprise of a bottle of wine and a bowl of fruit. It was a truly wonderful welcome. Tonight we went for a superb swim in the relaxing spa ,with again staff who were helpful and warm. We ate in the restaurant tonight. The food was delicious and of a very high standard. It was beautifully served and the staff again were diligent . Infact we enjoyed it so much that we have booked for tomorrow too. We will definitely be coming here again for a weekend break. In fact I am writing this review in my room whilst I have the time and because I feel so happy.Thanks to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable. I will certainly be recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: We love room 57 as it is quiet and a little bit away from the main hotel. I am sure there are other...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday weekend as a bit of a suprise. We drove from London and the hotel is positioned very well for trips to both New Forest and the delightful Winchester. I booked the 'wine and dine' offer which for just south of £260 was pretty good value including two nights stay with two 3 course meals (one including wine), breakfast and use of spa facilities.

We were a little disappointed that when arriving at the spa all treatments for the next 3 days were fully booked. This was perhaps my fault for not booking in advance. We went over the bank holiday so perhaps it was more busy than usual but If you do want treatments to avoid being disappointed I would strongly advise to book in advance. On the first night we were also told that the restuarant was fully booked until 20.45! This wasn't ideal - again, I would advise booking your table at the restaurant well in advance!!

When we did get seated the service was very slow and after a while we realised that they had forgotten us! However, they did apologise profusely and provided us with a free bottle of wine to have with our meal which I thought was more than sufficient compensation. The food and menu was excellent. The three courses were all very tasty and very filling! The wine was also very good for standard house wine. All staff were excellent, very friendly and chatty (though not overly).

One slight negative was that there was a wedding party staying the night we arrived and the bar was quite busy and the hotel rather noisy with the wedding party and children running about! Not too relaxing! The bar man also ddin't know what an Amareto sour was (should he?) and had no lemon juice nor other ingredients to make it, though he did try his best with some good improvisation!

Our room had a great view of the ponds and the gardens - I called up early and asked for this (I did do something right it seems!), there was no fridge or mini bar but there was an iron and ironing board.

We enjoyed swimming in the pool and using the sauna and steam room which although small was never overcrouded. Also, the hotel have times when children are allowed to swim which is good if you want to go when it's quieter.

Overall I would say that you will have a nice stay here. The food is excellent, staff friendly and grounds are impressive. However, make sure you book treatments and tables for dinner early to avoid disappointment!

Gloucestershire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Booked a stay for 3 days/2 nights through Groupon & were pleasantly surprised.
Hotel building is attractive & quirky, the grounds pretty & lovely to stroll through, & it's easy to get to the New Forest or other local attractions.
Our room was lovely & well equipped with a great view over the lake.
The Spa was also lovely & has restricted hours for children in the pool which makes great adult time - we had the pool to ourselves twice. However - make sure you pre-book treatments - don't leave it until you arrive as you might be disappointed - it books up fast as it is only small.
We ate in the Restaurant twice - the first night was excellent - both food & service.
The 2nd night was less so - the food was not as well cooked & there was a mix up by staff/chef which meant I ended up with the same meal, but not as well cooked, as I'd had the evening before - not my choice!
There was an issue with hot water on day 3, but staff were dealing with it immediately.
The staff are predominately local, & the standard of service is excellent - everybody was helpful & friendly.
The Hotel, whilst part of the Legacy Group, is family owned & has been for many, many years.
We would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 7 The Queen Mary room is lovely
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Botleigh Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!