“Very enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Arklow.Eire
“Very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Just back from a weekend at the Fitzwilton and was very impressed. Two nights bb and an evening meal for 99e was fantastic value especially as it was Valentines weekend. The only negative point was the car park which is really bad and when I pointed this out to reception we were told that we could have used Aldi as the Hotel send people here as an overflow. Perhaps this could be put on the website as it would certainly save the hassle of getting in to park and then finding no spaces..Overall however everything else was lovely very friendly staff and wonderful food and as for noise from the street, I really never heard a thing and I am a very light sleeper. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here on the 5th-7th Feb 2011, we had gotten a great one night B&B, massage and bottle of wine deal and when I phoned to book the receptionist offered us a second night as a discounted rate which we gladly took.

After recently reading some of the reviews on here I was very worried about our weekend, it is true what people are saying about the car park, it is very very pokey and although it looks like there is plenty of spaces until you go in and they are 'reserved for apartment residents'. Luckily we managed to get the last space round the back of the hotel which looked like a dumping yard for all the hotel's beer crates etc but was a ‘space’ nevertheless.
The car that came in after us had an awful time trying to manoeuvre about the car park particularly trying to turn to exit it. I would definitely not recommend to anyone new to driving or those who are not confident.

Having read the reviews about the hotel and knowing that we wouldn't be coming to the hotel to late evening (7pm) I emailed the hotel to the address provided on their website asking what the car park policy was and any alternatives, unfortunately they have still yet to get back to me which was over a week ago.

Hotel is very easy to find and it very nice inside. We arrived at reception to check in and was greeted by a nice girl who gave us our keys and informed us we are booked into the restaurant for 8pm, for the 55 EURO 4 course meal offer - this was the first time we had heard anything of the offer as I definitely did not book it!! I told the girl at reception who looked baffled and stay ‘don’t worry I will cancel your booking, sometime people get confused with what they book’. I certainly was not confused I know I didn’t book it as we were arriving quite late on.- despite the girl being friendly she did not offer any information on check out times or breakfast details (all info can be found in the hotel book in your room if in doubt)

The T.V worked but not with all the channels available, we had about 6 channels out of a plentiful list that was apparently available – assuming this was due to signal problems it was not the hotels fault but frustrating nonetheless (especially on Superbowl night)

Breakfast is what you would expect from a nice hotel, buffet style with full continental and hot food available, there was not much choice on the hot food but the essentials were there. On Sunday morning we were greeted at the door and asked whether we would like tea or coffee and had plenty of food. However on Monday morning things were a bit different the hotel was obviously less busy and the food was running low with some buffet plates being empty, there was no one to greet us and take our room number or offer us drinks. The hotel restaurant for breakfast was very understaffed, although it was considerably quieter than Sunday but still not enough staff. Breakfast was very nice, could maybe be improved with cooked to order item e.g. more than one type of egg like most 4 star hotels have but that’s probably being a bit too picky.

Due to myself being sick we decided to eat in the hotel on the Sunday night and order room service, there is a very reasonable menu to choose from and was promptly delivered to our room. The food was amazing we had the steak, was cooked to our own requirements and presentation was lovely. Would definitely recommend eating here – compliments to the chef.

Our room was lovely and very clean, bed was a good size (not the comfiest though). Our room over looked the street and it was like the other reviewers said very very very noisy. You could hear every car go past and any shouting on the street particularly on the Saturday night) – so wouldn’t suggest if taking small children or if you are desperate for a sound sleep. (maybe request a different view room)

Our offered included a massage in the beauty salon. The two girls that did our massages were lovely, very friendly and relaxing. However the ‘beauty salon’ is a just a hotel room without any beds in it – the girls have done great with what they had nicely decorating it etc. But would suggest going somewhere else if you wanted to treat a few people say maybe girly day out as it is quiet small.

On checking out, our bill was higher than expected after asking for a print out of it (which the girl at the desk gladly provided and was very helpful) I saw that the hotel had charged me for the 4 course meal that I had supposedly booked for the first night even though the girl said it was cancelled, the receptionist was very pleasant about it and took it off the bill as I assured her of what had happened. – so just have a wee double check of the bill before you check out so there is no nasty surprises.

Overall we had a lovely experience at this hotel, and would probably stay again due to the nice rooms and decor and excellent location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in December. Nice modern hotel and food was great. Friendy staff. Will be back.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Would never come back to this hotel. Very bad handling of complaints. Heard other customers complaining, too, so obviously this place has serious issues. Hotel is not worth 4 stars by any means. Rooms are ok, would rate as 3 stars. Nice food in the restaurant, but the interior itself, nothing special. Waiting staff though really nice. However, reception staff and especially spa has to improve greatly. Extremely bad service and no communication between these 2 parties (reception and spa). If you book hotel and spa together, please make sure to ask at least 2 times if they did not change the time for you. In our situation, we bought a deal, one night stay with breakfast and spa. However, in the morning we did not get our massage as were told that our time was much earlier and we are late one hour. They changed the time for us and reception never bothered to advise or call our room. Once complained, spa staff argued and made impression of a really bad customer service. Greatly dissapointed and would not recommend this hotel to anyone if you are looking something with the spa. Restaurant food and bar though nice. All the rest as for a 4 star hotel really dissapointing and hotel management should pay attention to their staff's customer service if they want customers to come back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write us your comments. I can however confirm your appointments were booked from 9:30am. We called your rooms and there was no answer. The salon was completely booked for the rest of the day, i am aware your female colleagues got there massages, but as you missed your appointment, there was nothing we could do. You were offered massage times for the following morning which in your own manner refused point blank. I am glad you enjoyed our bar and restaurant facilitie. I am aware my 3 colleagues were quiet upset and intimidated after dealing with this situation with you and have assured me they did all they could to satisfy your query.

I am sorry this cross communication has infringed negatively on your stay with us.

Regards,

Geoff Dawson
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Quite simply, this is not a 4* star hotel (a 3* at best). The car park is a joke - far too few places. We booked 2 nights with an eveing meal - when we arrived we were told the restaurant was fully booked on the night we wanted to dine. On the other night we wanted to have room service and had to argue with the staff as to what they served after a certain time; we gave up in frustration.

The "fitness centre" is non existent - its a hotel room with a minimal amount of equipment.

The central location is the ONLY redeeming feature.

My advice would be to give it a wide berth.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kilkenny, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Found this hotel on Facebook and got a great deal stayed one night and found the staff polite and helpful. On check-in the receptionist was really nice and helpful! Our room was freezing and we called down to ask could they turn on the heat and the duty manager came up and turned on the radiator we still had no heat after an hour so we contacted reception and we were moved. The second room was nice and toasty. There was no noise and our room was facing onto the street and the road. We had booked a meal in the hotel restaurant but this was closed on the night we stayed so we ate in the bar and we weren't too impressed by this as we booked and paid for a restaurant meal not a meal in the bar. The breakfast the next morning was nice but not the type of selection we would have expected from a four star. We did enjoy our stay and would go back again we wouldn't book a meal in advance again though we would make that decision on the night.

Louth, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Got an absolute bargain deal here, and can therefore say I got value for money. The positives far outweighed the niggles.

As for the good.... location is perfect, minutes stroll from the city centre. Lovely friendly staff, and the restaurant was really nice, with good meal deals. Room was grand, not luxurious, but definitely the quietest hotel room I stayed in for some time. Strange that I found my room quiet while other reviewers had a different experience. Maybe I was lucky!! In fact, the room was so quiet that we slept later than expected. It was a bonus to have free Wi-Fi in the room, don't know why most hotels still insist on charging for internet service, or worse still, make it available in the public areas only. So major kudos to the Fitzwilton here.

The niggles, I kind of feel bad mentioning them, considering the overall stay was very good. However, it really is a pity that parking is so limited. I would be anxious if I was checking in late that there may not be availability. We also had an issue with our shower, which even though we reported was not fixed. And finally, our tea tray was not replenished on the second day. None of these are major issues, and did not detract in anyway from our impression of the Fitzwilton.

I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Hello Ostan 14,

thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Fitzwilton Hotel. I am delighted to see,all in all you had a pleasent stay with us. Unfortunatley, our free on-site car park has limited space at peak periods however we do offer alternative parking just around the corner from the hotel. I am sorry to hear your requests were not satisfied regarding your shower and tea tray and I will personally follow this up with house keeping. I hope the pros outweiged the smallniggles for you and that we have the opportunity to welcome you to Waterfor again.

Kindest Regards and have a good day,

Geoff Dawson
Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to Fitzwilton Hotel? Share your experiences!