“Definitely not 4* rooms or service.” 2 of 5 stars

Fitzwilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bridge Street | Waterford City, Waterford, Ireland   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Definitely not 4* rooms or service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Fitzwilton with a hen party on a Saturday night. The check in was fine but we got a talk about the rooms being non smoking even after we said we both don't smoke.
The rooms themselves were a good size with nice decor but it was the fixtures & fittings that surprisingly were sub standard. There was no lock on the bathroom door so we made sure we told each other when we were in the bathroom. The light just in the hall where we would do our make up was not working & the natural light wasn't enough. We called reception & while they did send someone promptly he couldn't fix it as he said it was a transformer problem. Then we couldn't close the bedroom window as there was no handle on it??
Dinner was from the set menu & the choice was ok with a €5 supplement for steak. I ordered steak with chips & had to request the chips but by the time it came out the steak was eaten or it would've been cold. 3 of our party ordered the risotto & each plate went back untouched & the staff didn't even bat an eyelid which I was shocked at.
After the main course I told reception of the issues & they said they'd log it with management & offered to change our room but by then we were heading out so declined.
That night when we came back the residents bar was open & the staff on were very friendly & accommodating. When we went to bed the room was freezing due to the window so when arms or legs came out of the duvet it woke you up, so no good nights sleep.
On checking out the receptionist acknowledged our issues & called the manager & took payment for our drinks €20.
The manager arrived & halfheartedly apologised & said we could've changed rooms & said the electricity in the whole hotel had to go off to fix the light & said the lock would be easily fixed. If it was that easy to fix it could've been done while we were out!!!! I felt as if he didn't believe my issues the way he repeated them back to me so I even offered to show him. He didn't even take my email address or phone number & didn't even offer a drink to apologise. I felt a small gesture would've went down well to make up for the feeble apology. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for the shabby customer service & missing fixtures which surely should've been noticed before we checked in. If you want 4* treatment I'd definitely head somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked the Fitzwilton for a group of us travelling to Waterford for the weekend and was very impressed with the hotel, staff, service and value for money. I was in contact with Gwen on many occasions prior to our visit - she was so helpful and made sure everything was in order for our booking. The hotel itself is modern with a lovely lobby, restaurant and bar area. The room I stayed in was perfect for our needs with plenty of tea, coffee, shampoo, shower gel, etc! Some of the group did have issues with finding a space in the car park but there is a public car park across the road with plenty of spaces and only €5 for the weekend. Breakfast was really good, everyone was happy with the selection and the quality. All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for a short break in Waterford.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Overall the service and staff was very good, we ate in both the bar and restuarant and the food was tasty. The overall appearance of the hotel was nice but I think it is a bit ambitious to list it as a 4 star hotel. The carpark is also very small and after a long drive on a Friday night having to park across the road is a bit much, they should offer a parking concession to those you have to park on the quay front.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

You can see that they try to live up to the expectations of a four-star hotel but somehow fall a bit short. Our first room was a beautiful corner suite but we had to move because the WiFi connection did not work (it is a must for us regarding the children's school work and my writing). The second room felt much more crowded with the four of us but the WiFi worked well. The food ordered was good but not suitable for children. We did, however, forget two items and they emailed us even before we realized we were missing the items and are now awaiting our instructions for sending them to us. We truly appreciated this service and would recommend this hotel for tourists in the region. With extra work on the building (WiFi, television, larger beds), I am sure that it could live up to the full expectations of a four-star hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello Anne,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry to hear the wi-fi was not performing in parts of the hotel as we have recently heavily invested in this aspect of the business. I assure you I will be personally investigating this shortfall. I am delighted you were pleased with the service overall in the hotel and appreciate your recommendations also. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and we sincerely hope to welcome you and your family again soon.

Kind Regards,

Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Was not very impressed with this hotel at all. It made claims on the web that it was beautifully decorated, and it was, but that's about all it had going for it. The on-site car park is tiny and difficult to navigate. Having barely squeezed into a space, we went to check in. A deposit had come off at the time of booking on their own website, and the lady at the desk tried to charge me the full price of the booking at check in.

A 3 course meal for 2 in the restaurant was included as part of the overnight deal. When we came down to have dinner, we were instead directed to the empty bar. A bored barman gave us a menu and told us that the separate deal listed at the bottom was the one we were availing of. He said it several times to make sure we knew the restrictions placed on us, as we could apparently only order certain things off of the menu. This is the first time I have ever seen something like this in a hotel deal. Our dinner included 2 courses, tea/coffee and a drink (wine/beer/etc). I asked for a glass of wine, and was told I could only have that particular type if the bottle was open, otherwise I would have to choose something else. He came back with it saying that it was open, but that wasn't the wine I had asked for. The food also wasn't great. The soup in particular was very bland. Also, the price of this dinner deal as listed in the menu was cheaper than what we had paid for it as part of the package. We would not have availed of this deal had the restrictions been mentioned on the website beforehand, given the limited choices the meal was very disappointing and we were tempted to leave it and go elsewhere.

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello reviewer,

I am glad to see our 'claims' on the website were true and also that you found a space in our free on - site parking. The offer you booked included a 2 course meal in the bar and not the restaurant. I have checked your package also and assure you, you did not pay less than the stated price. Also, the restrictions were clearly listed on the website and again on the confirmation you received. Your bad review seems solely based on your own errors and not the hotels, yet we have to accept on tripadvisor that this bad review is our fault? Such are the joys of Tripadvisor. I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit or that you chose the wrong package but I assure you we did not mean to mislead at any stage.

Regards,

Ennis, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on business in Waterford midweek. The staff are friendly and the lobby/bar area are nice, bright and modern. The rooms however are well worn and the whole place just gives the impression that it needs to be freshened up. The shower hanging off at an angle, worn carpet and skirting etc.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

I appreciate your kind comments regarding the lobby and bar area. We are currently completing the re-freshening of all of our rooms which is due to be completed very very soon. I am sorry to see you were allocated one of the very few rooms that have not yet been completed. I would appreciate the opportunity to right these wrongs should you wish to stay with us again. If so, please email me directly at gdawson@fitzwiltonhotel.ie

Thank you once again for your review.

Regards,

dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in the Fitzwilton from a friday to the sunday...overall not a bad hotel - rooms quite nice (beds comfy) - hot water in bath/shower needs looking at. Good WiFi throughout hotel which was very handy. We ate in restaurant friday which was very nice (lovely risotto).

Bar was quite nice but guys there is a major problem with those gents urinals (they leak!).

Staff were very courteous and friendly - overall it was good but the big "must get" is air conditioning for the bedrooms...it must have been unbearable during the summer months.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the Bridge Street side of the Hotel under any circumstances...