“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Sydney, Australia
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a very nice hotel situated just over the river from the Waterford City Centre. We stayed for 3 nights and had a very nice large room. The staff there are very friendly. We had a very enjoyable meal in their restaurant on the first night. The breakfast was excellent with a number of choices on the menu. The staff gave us very good advice as to which pubs to sample and which tourist places to visit. Fully recommended.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We were on our vacation to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with a trip to Ireland! ! CIE tours were amazing at booking our accommodations! ! The Athenaeum House was absolutely beautiful! The service was absolutely great! !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On the way to out room we noticed how cheap-looking the decor/walls/carpets are, and when we got to our room we got quite a shock:

dirty walls
shredded curtains
chunks of carpet missing
dirty walls
stale-smelling pillows (they felt flat and old)
no safe or air con
grim decor

The room was so bad I called the manager, and he moved us to a better room. But even that room - one of their best - was tired and grubby - dirty carpets, walls. Window almost impossible to open and close.

We paid same as we would have paid in the Granville Hotel, which is a million times better than Athenaeum. Granville was full at time of booking, so we took a chance, but we would never go back.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A comfortable and quite hotel which is not too big on its own grounds just across the river from the main thoroughfare of Waterford City and the grounds are perfect for going for a short walk. Although it could be described as within walking distance of Waterford City I would recommend if going out in the city to take a taxi or drive, however if staying here there is no better place to eat as the food is excellent. I especially enjoyed the desserts after an unhurried relaxing meal. The staff were well aquatinted with all of the courses on the menu and more than willing to share this information. In the summer time the outside terrace area would be an ideal place to spend a few hours just relaxing with a few drinks after dinner. The different rooms that I have stayed in here were also first class and I had a good nights sleep each time that I stayed here. The driveway into the hotel is a narrow dirt road with a few potholes so drive carefully but this is part of the charm of the place

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I went here for dinner one Saturday night and was blown away by the food! Full of creativity and flavour. The dessert menu in particular was divine!

Staff were also friendly and attentive.

I would definitely recommend for a special meal.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlow, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here a few months back - booked into an "executive suite" for two nights and found no major differences between this room and any other bog standard you you would get in any two star hotel (except for the price of course).
The hotel itself was nice and was well kept, however there is nothing that stands out here, there is nothing to see/do on the grounds (where they have the space for features etc out the back) and my room faced out to the very unattractive car park. Located a little far outside the city centre so taxis are a must.
Most of the staff were friendly, some of the waitresses I noticed needed a crash course on the old SMILE technique.
The food was average, nothing to write home about and as it was quiet when I went to dine I would have expected a little bit more from them.
All in all, it's a nice place, but for the price of the room and what I was left with I'm not sure if I would be in a hurry back...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited the Athenaeum House Hotel out of curiosity but once inside we were blown away. Everywhere was immaculately clean. We had a drink outside on the terrace and enjoyed the afternoon sun and the view of the river. Our waiter was so efficient helpful and informative and knew his menu and wines inside out. We had a look at the dinner menu for their restaurant which is “Zaks” and this was very interesting so we decided to have a meal. All produce are locally sourced. The tables in the restaurant were set up very nicely with fresh flowers and tea lights which were so impressive. Our meal was cooked by their head chief who is French. It was delicious and yummy. For starters my partner had crab spring rolls and I had smoked slow roasted pork spare ribs. The portions were very generous. For main courses my partner had rack of lamb and I fillet steak. Both were accompanied with a selection of vegetables and were delicious. We both had a Guinness Crème Brulee which everyone must try because it is heavenly. Wines were very reasonably priced. We were so impressed with this hotel that we are looking at returning for a weekend. Thank you Everyone.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Athenaeum House Hotel? Share your experiences!