“Nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
edinburgh
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Thursday and Friday evening on a livingsocial deal that my partner had bought me for xmas. The hotel was very quiet on Thursday night, (there may have only been us and one other couple staying) but much busier Friday night and its not really a place with any atmosphere in the bar area (compared to many other Irish hotels). However, the food in the hotel restaurant was lovely on Friday night and the waiting staff were very professional and friendly and I really could not fault it. The lady working on the breakfast shift was also really nice and friendly and there was a really nice way about all the staff, particularly the breakfast lady and the man working on the Thursday night (who seem to be doing lots of jobs at once). The room was good, nice large bed, clean, well decorated. On the downside there was a strange smell in once small section of the corridor but other than this the hotel was spot on. We didn't take a car with us and went via train but with hindsight a car would be best for this hotel. Taxi's were cheap enough though and we walked into town one morning and it only took about 30mins. (Because we didn't have a car I scored the location slightly lower than if I had taken the car, but in general the location is nice).

(As an aside, we had a chuckle that we stayed in the Logie Baird room which had possibly the smallest TV we've seen in a hotel room!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear FernEdinburgh

Thank you for your kind review and constructive comments.

Delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that you were well looked after during your stay. Our breakfast lady Michelle is very special - I've passed on your kind comments - she was delighted.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards

Mailo Power
Director Athenaeum House Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a brief stay at this hotel. We had a spacious room for a great rate. It was clean and peaceful.

We enjoyed a Guinness in the living room next to the restaurant of the hotel. Nice place to relax with very good service from the staff.

The only point to consider is the location which is far by walk from Waterford downtown. That is still very accessible by car though.

Samuel & Valérie

Room Tip: Double bed with en-suite bathroom was very spacious
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Food in this hotel is excellent ,breakfast and evening meal, lovely friendly staff ,hotel location 25 Min Walk into the town.the room i stayed in excutive room ,Big and spacious, hotel is very relaxing,

• Stayed March 2013
Wirral, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Well appointed converted Georgian merchants house with sympathetically designed bedroom block addition. Everywhere spotless and nicely maintained. Rooms large with usual facilities. Again spotlessly clean.
Orangery style dining room and bar overlooking rear garden and river. Beautifully decorated lounge and formal dining room. All very tastefully decorated and furnished.
Privately owned by people who clearly care very much for the hotel and their guests. Staff friendly, helpful and made my wife and feel very welcome.
Entrance stepped without a ramp, so wheelchair access may be difficult. However, there is a ramp to a nearby emergency exit.

• Stayed March 2013
Samoens, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I spent a couple of nights in this lovely country house hotel in the dark, dank middle of February. The welcome was as warm as the days were cold and the owner Stan and his family couldn't have been more charming and hospitable. We really were made to feel like friends of the family. There is a certain faded personality to the hotel, particularly in the room which, though beautifully equipped, probably could have done with a bit of a face lift, but at the same time this did add to the character of the place and was in no way a detriment.

The downstairs snug bar and restaurant are great. The bar is well lit whilst maintaining an intimacy and the restaurant offers a modern European menu which makes the most of good local ingredients.

The hotel staff were faultless and one chap did everything from showing us how to work our TV remote to giving us an impeccable waiter service over dinner.

We were given a menu for breakfast and then told we could ignore it and have anything we asked for.

All in all, a very pleasant place to spend a couple of days.

Room Tip: Go for a suite overlooking the park towards Waterford harbour.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed one night at the Athenaeum, but wished we could have stayed longer. Although it's only a five minute drive in to the city centre, you feel you are staying out in the country. We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant for dinner, but the breakfast was lovely and you have to try the cider bread, it's really tasty. Plenty of choice at breakfast and can recommend the pancakes with maple syrup.The staff were very nice, especially the tall blonde girl. we had a suite with jacuzzi, lots of space and a view of the garden and river. The bed was huge and very comfortable as were the pillows, had a great night's sleep. The shower was powerful and there was plenty of hot water. Enjoyed the jacuzzi too. The TV channels were limited in the bedrooms, but we weren't bothered to be honest.

Room Tip: Go for a garden view and book a suite if you can afford it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I visited here with my boyfriend and two other couples for a weekend away in last year. I had really high hopes as it looked amazing online and as one of the girls works in a hotel in Louth we were promised a hoteliers 'upgrade'. It was by way of courtesy. I suppose hey weren't tied to anyting as such. But they did mention one of their suites. When we got there the receptionist was very friendly and efficient. However, when I got to my room, it was tiny. It was one of the attic rooms so has a low ceiling. It was dark and the bathroom jutted out into the room leaving the room as a small L shape. Bulbs in the ceiling, a lamp and in the bathroom didn't work. Also the bed or rather beds as it was two singles pushed and locked together was rock hard. There was scuff marks on some of the walls. It just looked neglected. Not the suite I was expecting. I was really disappointed to be honest. Even without the mention of a suite I would have expected better for the price. I have to admit in fairness, the view was fantastic. I rang down to reception and mentioned the bulbs and also that I wanted to be changed to a room where their was a double bed rather than the two locked together. They informed me that all the beds in the hotel were like that which I find very hard to believe. The redeeming feature of this hotel is the restaurant. It doesn't have a lively atmosphere but the food is amazing. Dinner and breakfast were just fantastic. Fresh, unusual and just beautiful. The drinks are overpriced and there is little or no atmosphere in the lounging area around the fire so we left to find atmosphere. It's set on the far side of the river away from the hotel so taxis are necessary. If I was staying in Waterford again, I'd stay somewhere else and go to the restaurant here. It's pricey but the food is 100% worth it. One last thing, I put the sign out for housekeeping to say that there was no need for them and yet I came back to my room to find them in there. And they were quite rude to boot.

Room Tip: Ask for anywhere else except the top floor. And if they mention their suites or premium rooms or wha...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Athenaeum House Hotel? Share your experiences!