“Hotel with a difference.” 5 of 5 stars

Athenaeum House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Christendom, Waterford, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Waterford
Waterford Ireland
“Hotel with a difference.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Tucked away in a sylvan setting on the north bank of the River Suir this boutique hotel which is affordable yet operated to a very high standard affords guests a unique view of Waterford city 'from across the River' The view changes by the hour and season with the night view spectacular in the extreme. Zacks restaurant is well positioned for this view and do choose a window seat where you will be served promptly with Waterford sourced finest foods complimented with reasonably priced well chosen fine wines and a smile.Not surprising this family run hotel holds the AA Red Rosette for culinary excellence.There is ample rooms and corner spaces for that private or romantic chat and space of larger groups. In 2012 due to a bereavement I took my Asian friends here and next day to Cork. It did not surprise me when I suggested we eat in Cork that the senior Asian member requested we return to this Hotel. I telephoned the owner Mr Stan Power as it was outside regular hours to be told 'Please do come we will accommodate you and that was nearly forty people so we traveled the eighty miles and it was certainly worth the journey. I trust my review will speak for itself and you will make this venue a must on your visit to Southern Ireland. Ample safe free parking, the hotel is within walking distance of the city and Railway station on a nice day. Take a Historic walking tour of the City of Waterford and return to the sheer luxury that is the Athenaeum House hotel to dine and wine..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear LDoyle

Thank you very much for your kind review following your experience at our hotel. I will share your kind sentiments with our team. It was a pleasure to look after such a lovely group of people. Good to hear that even under such sad circumstances, you all enjoyed your time with us. Stan sends his regards to you all, we look forward to welcoming you all again to the Athenaeum House Hotel.

Look forward to seeing you soon

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great food with a nice country house feel. The Hotel is located in Christendom which is about a ten minute drive from the city centre. You pass what looks like a huge grain silo which appears bizarre against the backdrop of the attractive city centre waterfront.The lunch menu was good value. Worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DB4545

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Thank you for recommending our lunch menu. The buildings that you passed on the North Quay’s while on route to us, are part of Waterford’s heritage as a port city. The North Quay is earmarked by the city for development but I am not sure of the time frame.

Kind regards

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Myself, husband and 3 month old baby stayed at this beautiful hotel for one night on a 5 week holiday around Britian and Ireland. We found this hotel on laterooms.com and saw the room rates had been drastically discounted and decided to give it a go.
The only downside to this hotel is the sat nav in our car had absolutely no idea where it was, we ended up going into a chinese restaurant who made home deliveries and asking for directions! Even then the chinese restaurant wasn't entirely sure where the hotel was but gave us a general idea of the area the hotel was in and we eventually found signage pointing us in the right direction.
The hotel itself is a boutique hotel in a quiet area on the outskirts of Waterford. We were greeted warmly at reception and explained the layout of the hotel before been given the keys to our room and shown to the lift.
Our room was tastefully decorated with a large comfy bed. Large windows overlooked a vast garden. The bathroom was clean with nice amenties.
We decided to have dinner in the restaurant that night. The large french doors and windows make the most of the beautiful garden views and makes the whole restaurant very light and airy. Each table was adorned with beautiful cutlery, linen and glassware. Although dinner was on the pricey side, it was definetly worth it. Dinner was divine. The bar was well stocked with a good wine list. The waitstaff were very friendly and attentive, remembering the brand of rum my husband was drinking and suggesting a similar brand when the hotel ran out of my husband's first choice.
Breakfast the following morning was at the same high standard as dinner the night before had been.
I cannot fault this hotel at all. Beautiful hotel in a beautiful location and highly reccomend to everyone!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear SG_Sutherland

Thank you for your very kind review posted on tripadvisor. I am very pleased to note that you and your husband had an enjoyable stay with us with your baby during your memorable 5 week holiday around Britian and Ireland.

I will pass on your kind comments regarding our food, service and amenities to our team. I will also see what I can do regarding the sat-nav co-ordinates, as I know they are set in my sat nav.

We looking forward to welcoming you to the Athenaeum House Hotel in the future.

Best regards

Mailo Power
Director Athenaeum House Hotel.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fantastic hotel found it through my partners sat nav warm and friendly greeting from Stan the owner. Nice bedroom and very clean.The food in the restaurant was amazing and of a high standard. While I was there I had a bad cough and Stan picked up on it and offered me a hot lemon and honey drink which was so kind of him. Breakfast was first class and the service was equally the same,it is a family run business and it deserves my comments so people can share my experience at the Athenaeum House Hotel.

Room Tip: Leave it to Stan I am sure that he will offer you one of his nice rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Susie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and for your kind comments. Good to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I hope your cough has improved. I will pass on your thanks to my husband Stan, he is a great believer in the healing qualities of a hot lemon and honey drink, he has also been know to include hot whiskey and cloves.

Best regards

Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a top rate hotel at reasonable price rates. Family run with great attention to detail. Staff are well able to cope with large parties, however there are several areas for secluded relaxation.

This hotel is frequented by well known personalities from the political and show-business sectors, famous both nationally and internationally.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Waterford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Nice quiet location - a 5 minute drive to Waterford.
Fantastic customer service - very friendly receptionist and servers.
Spacious bed and good-sized bathroom,
Great additional extras- slippers, bathrobes, free WiFi.
Very reasonably priced restaurant considering the menus available.
Recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

You can experience Country Class within 5 minutes of Waterford City Center by staying in Athenaeum House Hotel. Treat yourself to terrific food in a wonderful setting at unbelievable prices. Parking is available at the hotel. If you want to relax this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Athenaeum House Hotel? Share your experiences!