“Great find that's why I'm sharing my find with all of you.” 5 of 5 stars

Athenaeum House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Christendom, Waterford, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Waterford
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Great find that's why I'm sharing my find with all of you.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fantastic hotel found it through my partners sat nav warm and friendly greeting from Stan the owner. Nice bedroom and very clean.The food in the restaurant was amazing and of a high standard. While I was there I had a bad cough and Stan picked up on it and offered me a hot lemon and honey drink which was so kind of him. Breakfast was first class and the service was equally the same,it is a family run business and it deserves my comments so people can share my experience at the Athenaeum House Hotel.

Room Tip: Leave it to Stan I am sure that he will offer you one of his nice rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Susie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and for your kind comments. Good to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I hope your cough has improved. I will pass on your thanks to my husband Stan, he is a great believer in the healing qualities of a hot lemon and honey drink, he has also been know to include hot whiskey and cloves.

Best regards

Mailo
Mailo Power
Director Athenaeum House Hotel

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a top rate hotel at reasonable price rates. Family run with great attention to detail. Staff are well able to cope with large parties, however there are several areas for secluded relaxation.

This hotel is frequented by well known personalities from the political and show-business sectors, famous both nationally and internationally.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Waterford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Nice quiet location - a 5 minute drive to Waterford.
Fantastic customer service - very friendly receptionist and servers.
Spacious bed and good-sized bathroom,
Great additional extras- slippers, bathrobes, free WiFi.
Very reasonably priced restaurant considering the menus available.
Recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

You can experience Country Class within 5 minutes of Waterford City Center by staying in Athenaeum House Hotel. Treat yourself to terrific food in a wonderful setting at unbelievable prices. Parking is available at the hotel. If you want to relax this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Having read recent reviews for this hotel my husband and I decided to have a weekend break there for my birthday. We arrived at five in the evening to check in to be told our room was'nt ready due to the amount of late check outs. We left our luggage and went off to have a snack. On our return we were put into room 103, a dark and extremely cold room. The heating had been turned off even though it was eight degrees outside. The room never really heated up. Eventually the next day we asked, twice, to have the heating looked at. 'We will have that boosted for you now'. This didnt happen. After the second time we asked for the heating to be looked at A small and very noisy blow heater was dropped into us. The bathroom showed signs of mould around the bath with cracked tiled areas. Also the extractor fan in the bathroom didnt work properly so it took ages for the steam to evaporate off the mirror. I did open the window but as the radiator in the bathroom didnt heat properly it meant that leaving the window open made our room even colder. It was actually much warmer in the hallwAy than it was in our room.

The dining room and reception areas were nicely decorated and warm. The breakfast on the first morning was like being in a carry on film. The waitress, who was extremely attentive, must have apologised about five or six times to an elderly lady who must have waited nearly a half hour for some soda bread. The guests at the next table were also left waiting a long time for their food, which when it came out was wrong. We waited a considerable time for our breakfast but it was tasty when we got it.

I am loathe to make any criticisms unless I feel they are necessary. However this hotel considering itself to be four star is wrong in my opinion. Although the staff were friendly it didnt make up for the problems we encountered. It certainly didnt seem to be a priority for our heating to be fixed and having to ask twice wasnt very pleasant as our first request had been ignored. In fairness this hotel could be really lovely but it is let down by lack of attention to detail and simple requests from its patrons.

Stayed November 2012
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Both my friend and myself...cannot say enough regarding what a GREAT overnight stay enjoyed at "The House"! Carrie & Judy (receptionists) were simply wonderful! Mr. Power, the personable gracious host that loves his golf...(think Ryder's Cup) and seeing to it that all guests are comfortable and having a grand time of it! The property itself is splendid. The back yard area is used for weddings and other social gatherings. The view of Waterford Harbor and town could be seen from my room...breathtaking, to say the least! The food and service was (5) star quality. The sitting room with the originally built fireplace in it (1810), was warm and friendly. This manor house is kept spotless and the grounds, as well. I slept in comfort (even a robe to wear was hanging in the armoir/closet) waiting there for me! I slept so well and peacefully! Can't recommend this property highly enough! Great show, Guvner!! - Cheers!

Room Tip: I would suggest securing a room if possible facing the River Suir and in the back area of the manor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for a night, meeting up with family. On first arrving into the hotel courtyard, it is clearly obvious that the Hotel is a coverted large "manor house"

On entering reception ( which had no one in it), a sign asked us to ring 10 for attention. A gentleman appeared promptly and looked after us, I shall call him "Mr A" ( read my full review)

We were allocated room 104 which is situated below ground level. Our rom had a view up onto a lawn with us straining to look up. The room was decorated in a brown and cream design, which I found drab. The tea & Coffe making tray was in the wardrobe, but on taking it out we found it difficult to find a place to plug it in and had to unplug a light to access a spare plug.

I found the 2single beds had, but slept reasonably OK. Bathroom was clean, but the window in it had what appeared to be stains on the frame.which really too away from the bathroom.

I know I am being picky with this one, but although there was a 2 person serving with the Tea an coffee, the supplied spoons were 2 completely different designs.. surely an indication of a lack of attention to detail

We could not find a staircase to walk up to the ground level, I am sure it was there but was either hidden or not signed

A number of us sat down to dinner in the hotel restaurant and I must give full marks for a really excellent meal, with superb service

The bar is very small and we later adjourned, to what can best be called a small sitting room for some chat and drinks

Breakfast the following morning was an average Irish breakfast, only made wonderfull by the excellent warm breads supplied

At the start I mentioned "Mr A", allow me to elaborate .. Having been the reception person, he later was the Bar person and waiter. He appeared to be doing about 4 or 5 jobs at once

The hotel has Free WiFi supplied, but our experience was that it was at best slow and at worst almost non existant. It was very difficult to receive a signal in the bedroom and as such would have made working impossible

A special word about the Gentleman who looked after us for breakfast, a most wonderful polite and courteous individual... a credit to the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher levels
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Athenaeum House Hotel? Share your experiences!