“Unbelievably bad hotel - don't go near it.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Treacys Hotel Waterford

You added Treacys Hotel Waterford to your Saves list
Treacys Hotel Waterford
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Merchants Quay, Waterford, Ireland (Formerly Days Hotel Waterford)   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Unbelievably bad hotel - don't go near it.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

I have never written a review on this site before, but felt absolutely compelled to after our awful stay in Treacy's (formerly Days' Hotel) in Waterford City - if it stops one other person staying here, then it will be worth my writing it. My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in February 2011, and only for the fact that we had arranged to meet up with friends on the 2nd night, we would have left the hotel after the 1st night and forfeited our 2nd night's stay (we had to pay upfront upon arrival), it was that bad. It is a dingy, run-down establishment, with a very misleading website (it looked ok on there!). The Reception Area isn't bad decor-wise, so on arrival, we had reasonable hopes, which were quickly crushed! The receptionist was pleasant enough, but check-in was very very slow. I've seen other bad comments on this website re: the corridors/halls and can confirm that they are indeed dark & dull with a dirty carpet and creaking floorboards. There were cages/trolleys for linens/towels constantly left on the corridors for the entire weekend we were there which didn't help. Our room was clean (which was something I suppose) but it was dated and looked like it hadn't been touched since the 1960's. It was smaller than a regular-sized double bedroom in a standard Irish semi detached house. It overlooked a side street/laneway, and was freezing cold. There was a sign next to the small ankle-height radiator instructing guests not to change the setting on the radiator as heating was controlled by an aircon system. This wasn't the case, which we found out after ignoring the sign and fiddling with the radiator knob. It was so cold that we requested extra blankets from Reception - what we got was a single duvet (we had a double bed in our room), with an open duvet cover on it (all the buttons were broken on the cover). On our 1st night, we unfortunately ate in Croker's restaurant. While one of the waitresses was very nice and seemed helpful, we also had to deal with another waitress, who was sour, disinterested and rude. She sighed when she took our order (we weren't trying to order off menu or being picky FYI!) and then literally threw our food onto the table - so much so that the sauce on my main meal almost came off the plate. I had the 'smoked salmon & shrimp fishcake' to start, which was an overlarge hunk of almost entirely mashed potato that contained approx 3 shrimps & a small amount of flaked, cooked salmon (not smoked as per the menu - it actually tasted like tinned salmon). As a potato cake, it wasn't bad, but a fishcake it certainly was not. I ordered the 'rack of lamb' for my main course, and was presented with 3 x lamb gigot chops that were undercooked and tasteless, as were the mixed veg & an enormous plate of overcooked mush that I think used to be ratatouille at one time, that accompanied them. Before our main course was taken from the table, a 3rd waiter came over with a dessert menu, forgetting to remove the dirty plates (and we had obviously finished eating). We visited the pool area on the evening of the 1st day - the pool & steam room were 'OK' but the sauna was out of order, and while there were lockers in the changing rooms, not one of them had a working lock - note this pool / changing area is for non-hotel guests also. The breakfast the following morning was bland and tasteless (and potentially a danger to health considering the undercooked black & white pudding); however, the worst of all was the out-of-date grapefruit juice that I took a large gulp of - I couldn't get rid of the taste for the rest of the day. After all that, we spent as little time in the hotel until it was time to go home, and we ate elsewhere (even though we had paid in advance for breakfast on the 2nd morning). Last thing to note is that the hotel car park is nowhere near the actual hotel which means a walk with heavy bags. I can't stress how awful this place was, but I hope I have given you some idea!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Wexford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

When I arrived I was put in a room at the back of the hotel, with the smallest window I have ever encountered in an Irish hotel room. It was maybe 4foot by 4 foot. As I was staying during the off-peak season (a Wednesday and Thursday in February), I asked to be moved to a room with a bigger window. I was moved to a room looking out onto the quay. If you stay in this hotel, I would strongly advise you to stay away from these rooms! The windows are not sound proof!! The sound of traffic kept me away for a lot of the night.

The following morning, after very little sleep, I asked to be moved. The receptionist explained that all the rooms looking out onto the quay front has the same problem. (I wrongly thought my room was the exception). Yet for some reason, the receptionist still relocated me to another room overlooking the quay!! On my way down, yet again to reception, I bumped into another staff member. She was absolutely wonderful and saved the day - finding a room for me which didn't look out onto the quay. Thank god for her. If she didn't help out, i would have packed up and foregone the second night of my holiday.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

was well used, but not shabby... rabbit warren to find rooms but still easy with luggage.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
PaulSomers
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Vibrant - Comfortable - Central. Good 'Ceol agus Craic' in the bar, rooms are clean and confortable, friendly Irish staff, always smiling, great customer service. Reminds me of 'Faulty Towers' with the corridors, but the ambiance is brilliant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

This was the best hotel we stayed in. I had a room that over looked the river. Although it was a bit noisy because it is on the corner of a busy street, I didn't mind. I loved the view and the staff was very friendly. Had a beer in the hotel pub and enjoyed some great music. I did a bit of exploring at night by myself (single female in my 30s) and felt safe. Got a tour of Waterford from Jack, the best guide in Ireland. Food was very tasty as well.

• Stayed July 2010
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Just had a 2 night stay at this hotel, after arriving at 2pm to check in after a long bus trip with a small baby was told that room wasnt ready for 15 minutes, went to the bar and had a drink and after 40mins, still no sign of room being ready. At 3.30pm, the room was finally ready.Wasnt given any apology from receptionist about waiting an hour and a half to check in. The room I received was extremly small, Had requested a baby cot but wasnt one in the room so I had to go back down to reception to inform them. a cot was brought to the room 15 minutes later and it became apparent how small the room was once the cot was up. Had to get into the bed from the bottom as with the cot being there i couldnt move around the room comfortably. The Bathroom was clean but very small too. I called reception to ask for a keyboard to use the internet in the room and was told that they were booked out and to ask the following day at reception, I asked the following day and was told that all the keyboards were broken from the summer, was a bit confused by the conflicting stories, which receptionist was telling the truth??? We had dinner included in the package, the service in the restraunt was great and the food was very nice. The food in the bar was very expensive so decided not to eat there. I was overcharged at the bar on the first night and when I questioned the bar man he would not listen,was appalled by his rude manner. I ended up paying €12 for 2 pints of bulmers on draft. Needless to stay I didnt drink in the bar after that The swimming pool was great with a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. breakfast was plentiful and there was plenty of seating. the plates for the hot food were not the cleanest but the staff at breakfast were very nice. overall, I had an ok time at this hotel. didnt spend much time in the room during the day as it was too small. wouldnt stay here again if I visit waterford again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here while on a Trafalgar tour. The hotel looked good from the web site and even the lobby during check in, as soon as we got on the lift (which is only slightly larger then the average phone both), we saw the real picture. Everything including the lifts, hallways and rooms are in poor repair. The first room we were given had a foul odour and two twin beds (made separately) but pushed together. We explained to the front desk staff and our tour guide that it was our honeymoon and asked for a different room. The new room did have a double bed. Unfortunately, it also had a large bunk bed. The bathroom was acceptable but poorly arranged.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Treacys Hotel Waterford? Share your experiences!