“helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Treacys Hotel Waterford

You added Treacys Hotel Waterford to your Saves list
Treacys Hotel Waterford
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Merchants Quay, Waterford, Ireland (Formerly Days Hotel Waterford)   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I booked a weekend break for me and my mates recently in Waterford at the Days Hotel. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel every day and it was always very good. The hotel staff were very helpful in helping me organise all the activities for the group. We played golf on the first day and went quad biking the day after. They even booked the bus to take us. Some of the lads used the pool and said the leisure centre was great. We had a great weekend and I earned lots of brownie points with the boys. We'll be back. Cheers

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
DaysHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Days Hotel Spa and Leisure Club. I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed your time at the hotel and in Waterford.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Wexford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We had a 2 night stay in this hotel earlier this month. Booked a family room for 1 adult and 3 children. I would have to agree with other contributors on the parking arrangements and also add that the entrance to the car park is too low to fit a high car with a roof box attached. That is an extra inconvenience on top of the location. Car parked we went to find our room. When I opened the room door the first thing that struck me was the heat in the room. There was an electric fan on the dressing table and 2 large air cooling units also crammed into the room. None of these was turned on to cool the temperature. There was one window in the room but it opened over what looked like the main extraction units from the kitchen so there was no fresh air to be had there. Turned on all 3 appliances and left for a few hours but when we came back there was no improvement so I called reception to ask for help. A male member of staff came to the room and said the cooling units were not working because a reservoir needed to be emptied. Said he’d do it for me the next day and put some ice in them in the mean time to help. My stay had been booked over a month in advance so I do not know why these units were not functioning. The fact that there were in the room indicates an awareness of the problem with heat. I don’t know if he actually returned the next day but no more ice was provided and I saw no improvement in the temperature.
The room had a good sized double bed, a camp bed that folded every time my daughter sat on it and a set of bunks. There is no mention in the accommodation section of the web site that there might be bunk beds in the family rooms. My children were ok with them but I’ve asked other parents who said they would not be suitable for their kids.
The bathroom also had problems. Firstly the wall inside the door was dirty – even after housekeeping had been. The bath was not suitable for bathing or showering children as you had to be standing in the bath to reach the taps due to the positioning of the glass screen. More worryingly the inside handle of the bathroom door was damaged. Both my children cut themselves opening it. They were only tiny cuts and the staff in the leisure centre very kindly gave me steri-wipes and plasters to cover them.
The morning I was leaving I was asked while queuing for breakfast if everything was ok in the room. I was not going to detail all the problems in company but I did say we’d had some problems but were leaving that day so nothing could be done about them at that stage.
The following day I got an email from the hotel asking for feedback. I replied detailing all the points above. That was over 2 weeks ago and I have not received any feedback – even to acknowledge my comments.
On a positive note the staff were friendly and the kids club was terrific. We all enjoyed the pool also. A friend of mine stayed at the same time with her family. She had a beautiful big room facing the front of the hotel and loved her stay. If you are considering this hotel you might want to check the size and suitability of the room before you travel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Days Hotel Spa and Leisure Club, and for taking the time to discuss this with me over the phone.
I have passed the points you raised to our housekeeping and operations departments and steps are being taken to rectify these areas, where possible.
I do appreciate you taking the time to write about your concerns as it is only through constructive criticism that we can improve the amenities for our guests.
Tullamore, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed recently in Days Hotel Waterford....after a long painful search of many hotels in Waterford we choose this hotel. Some of this decision was based on availability and on the reviews i read here where poeple had for the most part enjoyed their stay.
How disapointed we were then when we arrived! Hotel location was ok for an adult group as it is city centre and walking distance to many bars but i didn't feel it was good for a family with young children as its right on a busy main road.
Our main disapointment was with parking which is a good 5 minute walk away into what felt like a bad area (i.e homeless people in door ways asking for money, not somewhere to walk around after dark or on your own i felt)
Also we travelled with a small child and an older child and as anyone who has done this would know they come with a lot of baggage so it was akward unloading car and making sure kids didn't wander off near road.
We knew going that the car park wasn't attached to property but we didn't realise how far it would be or how unsafe it would be going to car also car park is closed at 10pm and car is unaccessable then, which is a pain because we forgot a bag with a favourite toy!
Our other major disapointment was the room itself, we booked a family room ie double and 2 singles and to be fair thats what we got BUT the room was terrible. really small, the 2 single beds (one a camp bed) were squashed in and you couldn't sit at the desk properly as no space between that and bottom of bed. Also room itself wasn't clean, carpet was filthy, walls were dirty , fittings were broken and overall was in need of a major makeover. Also veiw from window was of back of buildings and a staircase which went right over our room and aslo didnt feel safe to have windows open.
We had checked in for 3 nights but decided to leave after just 1. Hotel location, car situation and room all left us very disapointed.
On a possitive note the staff in the hotel were very nice and when i went down to recepion at 10pm to say we were checking out in the morning the girl was very nice and asked if there was anything they could do to make us more comfortable ie change rooms but we just wanted out at that stage so declined.
Overall i wouldn't go back to this hotel or recommend it for a family but would probably be ok for a group such as a stag night or something similar who would be happy with the city centre location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Days Hotel Spa and Leisure Club.
Roscommon, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I searched a long time to get a hotel that suited all our needs as a family with young children, I thought I had found the answer to my problem when I found the Days Hotel Waterford. Location is good however car park could be more convenient. On arrival everything seemed fine, check in was quick and staff were pleasant. Our room wasa little cramped but we had a cot so this was understandable. I was disappointed that there were not any toiliteries in the bathroom apart from a shower gel dispenser which was attached to the wall beside the sink and the bath. I would suggest that these could be set a little lower as my four year old son had to be lifted up each time he wanted to wash his hands! On our first evening we decided to eat in the bar. We were handed our menus along with the kiddies menu and proceeded to order our meal. I ordered lasagne, a burger and two chicken goujons with chips. When I went to pay for our meal I noted that we were charged the adult price for the two goujons and chips and so explained to the girl that these were acutally for children. She went back to Gary, the guy who took our order and he came over to say that they were full portions that we received. I told him that these were for children and he argued back with me that I didn't specify and he was not there to "assume"! I asked him why we were handed kiddies menus and then served all adult portions, Gary walked away from me, at which stage I asked to meet the manager. The manager came down to me but really couldn't see where I was coming from. Gary's attitude had made me so angry and the manager apologised for this, stating that if someone doesn't specify then they are automatically served adult portions. Strange, when you are a group of 2 adults and 3 children having been handed kiddies menus!! The outcome was that I had to pay for one adult portion and one childs portion. Not very satisfactory. I would suggest that Gary be sent on a course that would teach him some basic manners not to walk away from someone who is speaking to him, and also that you ask people who are ordering with children what portions they require. I never had this issue in any other hotel, restaurant etc. We didn't eat any other night in the hotel because of this. On the same night the fire alarm went off 4 fimes during the night, waking the baby each time. The next morning a member of staff apologised for the inconvenience and explained that is was an elderly lady who was smoking in the bathroom but that her family had come to collect her and it would not happen again. We accepted this, until the fire alarm went off again on the second night. No apology was given this time, however I overheard a gentleman at reception being given the same story about the old lady smoking in the bathroom .............. was she not collected by family the previous morning????? We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel after this but overall I was very disappointed. We were there for 3 nights, two of which were disturbed by fire alarms. The kids went to the kiddies club on day we left and loved it. Kiddies pool would be a bonus, or at least make people aware that there isn't one when they are booking!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
DaysHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Days Hotel Waterford.

I am sorry that everything wasn’t as you would expect.

I have spoken to the housekeeping departments and the HR director about the points you raised and steps will be taken to rectify these areas.

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding the leisure centre.

We will endeavour to improve our service in the areas you highlighted and thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
Clonakilty, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Loved this hotel , we stayed here for a short break before the kids went back to school, and they like it more than their summer holiday. The weather was great and we went to the beech every day, I would not reccommend going to tramore every day as it can work out quite expensive, but we went to two other lovely beaches, dunmore east and another one near there. They went to the kids club in the evenings and made lots of friends. My kids are 6and8 so the kids club was ideal for them, and of course they used the pool every day. I wanted to use the spa but time didnt allow it, maybe next time!!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
DaysHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent trip to the Days Hotel Spa and Leisure Club.
We hope to welcome you and your family back to the hotel again in the very near future.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed in this hotel on 18th July just for 1 night. Staff were efficient & friendly at check in but finding our room was an adventure. The place is like a rabbit warren & the floors go up & down in the most odd places. Our room appeared clean, although the bathroom looked like some 5 year old had been let loose with some poly filler behind the door & the shower door seal was hanging off. Had a lovely meal in their little attached restaurant/ bar. However, that night it rained heavily & we were awakened by a noise reminiscent of having Niagara falls nearby. It appeared that what we had thought was an innocent pillar attached to the wall, was in fact an internal storm drain! Absolutely deafening. So no sleep to be had from 3.45am onwards. When we escaped down to breakfast (in their other dining room) we were not made welcome by the staff & the chairs, tables, trays & crockery were not clean. Ate as little as possible & passed on our concerns to our tour director. Heard several similar stories from other members of our tour party. Would never stay at a Days hotel again after that experience. Was the only bad part of our trip.

• Stayed July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Days Hotel Spa and Leisure Club.
We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
Although you don’t say what room you stayed in, I have passed your comments onto our housekeeping department to investigate and to ensure that the faulty parts you mentioned are replaced.
The pipe that you referred to can only be an internal pipe, any storm pipes are external, I have asked our maintenance department to repair this, as it certainly should not be making the kind of noises you described. I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t have a restful night.
I have also spoken to the Restaurant Manager regarding your breakfast experience. This is not the procedure at the hotel and we will ensure that it will not re-occur.
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

My company have just started using this hotel in waterford when we travel there on business and we are very pleased with the facilities and services. The rooms are comfortable and the buffet breakfast is lovely. There is wi-fi in the bar and lounge so i can do some work in the evenings. I have only only eaten in the bar but the food was really nice and they had a good choice on the menu. I haven't had a chance to use the leisure centre yet but hopefully I'll get a chance on my next visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your first week at the Days Hotel Spa and Leisure Club.
We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to the hotel again.

Been to Treacys Hotel Waterford? Share your experiences!