“Quiet weekend break ??” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Meath , Ireland
“Quiet weekend break ??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked The Tower Hotel for a long overdue break for my husband and I as we'd had to cancel our holiday plans earlier this year due to ill health. When we arrived we were told we had been upgraded (I thought this was because I had requested a quiet room) to a Smart Room which to be fair was more than adequate. We were at the front of the hotel facing Reginalds Tower, there being no air-con we left the window open so it wasn't too warm in the night. This however meant that the full effect of all traffic noise and the people at the smoking area below was coming our way. The traffic noise was horrendous from about 5.30 am on Monday morning so I'd recommend to anyone intending to stay there who likes to sleep in the morning to request a room on another side.
There were lots of positives - the staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. We spent some time in the pool and jacuzzi. We ate in the bar twice and the food was good, we were served by a very friendly young chap who recommended a pub to go to for music. As a big tea drinker,I love the fact that they gave you mugs to make your tea and coffee in the room rather than fiddly little cups and even paper cups to make a take away.
One other niggle I have is that smokers seem to congregate at the front door of the hotel, it's quite off putting as you arrive to have to try and make your way through groups of people who don't seem to realise they're in your way. I'm sure it's not just us who found that it gave a negative first impression. I would return to the Tower but would be more picky about my room options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
tipperary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is our 4th time to stay in the Tower Hotel on a family holiday. We go back every year because the hotel is so family friendly. The kids love having the pool and this year they went to the kids club and loved it. Ann-marie is a lovely lady and is great with the kids, would highly reccomand the kids club.
Also my husband went for a Back, neck and shoulder massage in Renu, the hotels spa and beauty room and said sarah was brilliant and very professional.
The Food is very nice in the bar and the restaurant is amazing!!!
The only fault again this year is the bar. The staff could be that bit more friendlier and the lager and beer is muck to be honest. I love my coffee and ordered a cappacinno several times and all times it came in different size cups and tasted awful no one knew how to make a proper coffee. Reception and breakfast staff were very nice esprecially the French gentleman in the mornings, very good to the kids and really friendly...We will stay again because its so central into town, kids park a few minutes walk away, right beside the river.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
thwmgmt, General Manager at Tower Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Paula,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our kids club is extremely popular and Anne Marie and her team offer a wonderful service.

I am sorry that our cappuccinos were disappointing. Our beverage manger will address your feedback with the team immediately. This is not normally the case and they normally are very popular.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again to the Tower in the near future,
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I decided to have a weekend away and decided to return to Waterford, as my usual hotel had no vacancy I thought I was lucky when I got a room in the Tower Hotel, my mistake. I was given a room on the first floor over the bar and was woken in the early hours by the noise from the area below inside the bar and those outside. This happened again on the Saturday night and after the second call to reception the night porter / duty manager just hung up. Breakfast from the buffet style service was lukewarm and could not be eaten. On Saturday evening I ordered from the bar menu and requested no salad garnish. When the meal arrived it had the garnish and again this meal was lukewarm which on complaining about was changed. At breakfast on Sunday morning I was informed that if I required anything it would be arranged so I requested a hot cooked breakfast with soft eggs, came hard, hot sausages, came overcooked possibly reheated in fryer. The amazing thing is that on the breakfast menu on the table there is an article on how to prepare the perfect breakfast ( maybe the chef should read it)
On checking out I mentioned my dissatisfaction to the receptionist who got a "manager" (Niall Byrne) whose excuse was they had over 200 guests to prepare breakfast for and that they had tried to accommodate my request. He then got his business card told me to complain in writing refused to accept my comment card and sauntered off. With the hard uncomfortable bed, bad food and noise I will not be returning to this hotel nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be very noisy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

The team here is committed to delivering great food with great service. I am sorry that despite interacting with 4 members our Management team that we still failed to ensure you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for your feedback. It is bitterly disappointing when a guest leaves our hotel unhappy.

I do hope you will consider returning to us again in the future.
kildare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Every year, myself and some friends travel to Waterford for the annual Spraoi festival. This was my first (and shall be my only) stay in the Tower Hotel. It is situated in an ideal location to watch the fireworks. I had only arrived when I decided to go to a local off licence. I arrived back at the hotel, not having had a drink, but carried a bag which contained merely two bottles of beer. It was relatively early, perhaps 9 o'clock. It would not be an overstatement to say I was harassed by not one, but two employee's when I came back into the hotel. They demanded I turn in the beer, for it was not permitted on the premises. Is this standard, that I cannot return to the hotel with a couple of bottles before I head out to meet with some friends? I was humiliated as they treated me with absolutely no respect. If this is how they treat their guests, I'd much rather stay out on the streets.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here with a Globus tour group while we toured the UK/Ireland. The hotel was very nice and comfortable inside. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I had lost my electricity adapter and the staff at the front desk were easily able to provide me with one at no additional charge. At dinner, the chef came out to talk to us about our meals and Waterford. It was a very ambient atmosphere overall in the hotel.

My room was spacious - for one person. I had a large king bed all to myself and a nice bathroom. Everything in the room was clean and well-kept -- clearly housekeeping and maintenance take pride in their work at this hotel My room was right across from Reginald's Tower and I got some amazing photos of the tower at sunset. I was also able to see out onto the river and got some lovely dock photos. The hotel's location is GREAT - it was only a short (under 3 minutes) walk to the Waterford Crystal Factory, which was super fun. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Tower Hotel has an excellent location on Waterford's quay/street opposite Reginald's Tower. Stayed there for the August weekend for the Spraoi Festival. Rooms comfortable, food very good Adelphi Bar, didn't try Restaurant/bistro, very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent buffet Breakfast. Leisure centre very good also. Free parking. Taxi service to venues around town, you need this, late residents bar. Free WiFi, lots of pubs and clubs nearby. peoples Park just a short stroll away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Leitrim
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

central spot in waterford city, rooms are dated but staff are nice enough, wasnt offered tea or coffee with breakfast, located near to some good restrauants and clubs,a lot of pubs seem to be traditional style but have a lot of charm

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tower Hotel Waterford? Share your experiences!