“Felt like Ireland” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Tacoma, Washington
“Felt like Ireland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We spent one night at this older hotel on the waterfront in Waterford. It was the height of a heat wave, and the hotel is not air-conditioned, but aside from the stuffiness of our top-floor room, we very much enjoyed our stay here. Older furnishings, creaky stairways, non-granite countertops all suggested a genuine European, non-westernized hotel. And the perfect cleanliness and top-notch service matched our experiences throughout Ireland.

We had an excellent dinner of Guinness Stew and enjoyed the atmosphere of the pub. Breakfast was plentiful; hot foods were hot, and pots of coffee and tea on the table were kept full.

The location is excellent--take the walking tour of the city! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in Dooley's for three nights. The room was small but very comfortable eg two armchairs so we could both sit and read in comfort, and the room and bathroom were both spotlessly clean. We ate in the hotel as part of our package and the food was really good - particularlythe fish chowder and the imaginative starters. The service in the restaurant was absolutely excellent - so efficient and friendly, and the reception staff were very helpful (I needed to see a doctor and they were very helpful in arranging things). Irish music in the bar was a treat and the location was on the waterfront. All the main museums (which were very good, particularly the e-guides) were within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Go for one at the back as the front is quite noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel goes beyond to help you ,on arriving with abad chest infection they had me in a taxi to the doctors within half an hour a had my script n was on my way back to Dooleys.in the mean time a fan had been placed in our room.nothing seemed to much trouble for them .from freeezing ice packs for our water bottles to storing our luggage while we enjoyed afew extra hours in Waterford's muesums,great veiw out of our window on to the water n sush soft bed linen it was a delight to sleep in ,these things matter in the cver all experience. Thank You Dooleys for making this a holiday Il always remember.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
knutsford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

4 of us stayed one night. The hotel was clean, had a comfortable bed and a good breakfast. Car parking was available opposite for 3 Euros. We would stay again. Service was good. It wasn't the savoy London but a good Irish hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nenagh, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for a short break with 2 kids. We booked a family special €229 with 2 nights a breakfast each morning and one evening meal(Good deal I thought). Bit of a disaster to be honest. From the get go the receptionist didn't give us our meal vouchers this ended up being a big ordeal when we wanted our meal she also said call down either evening between 6.30-9.00 approx for the meal turns out you had to make a booking as a tour was in the hotel. Then the meal was for only the 2 adults kids weren't included after a few complaints we were handed a baby bowl and some ice cream but hassle on a holiday to be honest the deal stated direct quote "Evening Meal for 2 adults and 2 children under 4 years." The service staff at breakfast and the meal were nice and tried their best but the hotel most definitely didn't adhere to the terms of their offer and confusion was caused by the receptionist!
On arrival we also didn't see nor hear of any cookies and milk for the kids as promised on the deal and what the kids were promised by us(I ended up buying some in the shop after one of the lads broke down in disappointment in the room, I forgot on check in and felt so guilty). It gets worse as after booking a family special we then arrived back on the first night at the hotel at 8 with two tired kids to ceili music blaring on a Monday night below our first floor room and the kids didn't get to sleep until after 11 when the music stopped. Next morning delivery trucks then woke the kids at 6.15(Each morning). So the kids slept for 7 hours night one and about 10 night two. The room was no better I couldn't sleep in the bed with my wife as the bed was broke along the side and after sleeping on the bed for an hour my back was aching. I then watched some tv and the remote was broke and the tv constantly cut out every 5 minutes. The main room lightbulb wasn't lighting just the side lamps and no aircon(other than the windows, outside which every drunk in the city must have trudged)! Another major thing for us was every time you left the hotel in your car you had to pay €3 parking as the hotel hadn't its own parking(Over the 2 night holiday parking cost us over €25. You can't come and go as you please without expense). I also couldn't get a WiFi signal in my room(Yeah in 2013) and even if I could I would have had to pay for anything beyond my "complementary" hour. I buy a burger for a €1 in McDonalds and I get free wifi but I pay €229 in Dooleys and I have to pay for wifi, pure joke! In summary great location with great beaches in Tramore(Driving distance) and a good time was had with the boys in the good weather but the hotel was a tiring, difficult to deal with and noisy and lacking in basic services such as parking and wifi, something I doubt i'll consciously repeat.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
Wigmore, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just returned from a coach tour of Ireland with CIE tours. On day 2 of tour we visited Waterford City and stayed over at the Dooleys Hotel. Hotel room needed some TLC and required to be updated very tired looking no air con in room. Evening dinner good choice on menu considering 39 people on tour.
Morning breakfast alas not very good choice and overall disappointing. Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel in my opinion only worth 2 stars.

Room Tip: If visiting Waterford City try another Hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a CIE tour of Ireland. We stayed in 5 different hotels on our trip and this was unfortunately my least favorite. I wanted to like it more, but the bathrooms looked outdated, and the rooms a little too motel for a hotel. There was only 1 elevator, which proved frustrating at times when it was being loaded with suitcases by the porters or had a long line. We would have taken the stairs, but we were on the 5th floor with an injured 83 yr old, so stairs were not really an option for us. The food as dinner was fine, but the breakfast buffet seemed a little lacking. I don't know what other hotels in Waterford are like, but I assume they must be similar because our CIE tour had us booked in wonderful hotels in other cities. The location of this hotel seemed great. It was walking distance to what appeared to be the main part of Waterford. We were there on a Friday night, and I must say the town was eerily quiet. I was able to find only one open pub other than the one in our hotel, so it seems Dooleys is the place to be for a night out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dooley's Hotel? Share your experiences!