“In need of attention” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Waterford
Sheffield
“In need of attention”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

This was the second time we have stayed at this hotel. We booked it this time as we had a pleasant stay on our first visit a few years ago. My, how it has changed!
I score the hotel as it is now - below average. Neither the place nor the staff made us feel welcome and, with a wedding party effectively dominating all the guest lounge and other public rooms the only place to sit was in our room. (Which would not have been so bad except that having booked a non-smoking room, I expected to get a non-smoking allowed room rather than be told that the windows had been left open to clear the smoke! Worse to come for the bedding wreaked of stale tobacco smoke when I laid down in it. I therefore have to mark the rooms as poor when they are of good size and, were it not for the smoking, would have been average to good.
We did not eat in the hotel on this visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ClaireOMahony01, Sales & Marketing Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear BritChamber,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us in the Woodlands Hotel.
Please note that all of your comments and feedback have been taken on board.
I would really like to speak to you regarding your stay therefore I would request for you to contact me at the hotel.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Claire O'Mahony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
monaghan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We where heading to the sunny south east for a few days and decided to stop in waterford for a few nyts as we had not been before. We chose the woodlands as it looked like a nice safe family hotel from the website with all the ammenities we where looking for when travelling with our 2 year old child. We could not have been more wrong!!!! We checked in for 2 nyts b&b and one evening meal, at 4pm in the afternoon, we had to pay up front and told that we would have to take our meal that night as the resturant did not open on a sunday. We where showed to our room, 2 single beds and a double bed in a massive room!!! Upon first glance it looked very very basic with no style to it what so ever! White bed clothes with stains on them is not appealing!! There was no travel cot which we had asked for. It also smelled very very musty and had an ash tray so must have had smokers before us. we went to the pool which seemed to be down a few flights of very grubby stairs and corridors which never seen a hoover!!! Hard to manoover with a small child!! By the time we left the pool there was a wedding in full swing in the hotel. Unfortunatley my daughter started throwing up the minute she left the pool and so we abandoned any evening plans we had and decided to stay about the hotel and have our meal. We went into the bar, which was practically empty at 7.10, got a drink and asked if they where still serving food. The barman said they where and he would get us a menu, he never returned but another member of staff came over to us and asked if we wanted food? When we said we did she said that they where serving the wedding guests first and they would not be putting on a any food in the bar until all the wedding guests had been served!!!! SHOCKING!!!! We told her that we where told at reception to take our meal tonight, she said she would see if the restaurant could "fit us in"!! She came back and said they would take us if we went in straight away!! Well.....there was not another person in the cold dining room, there was no music and no staff!!!!! a young man approached us and took our order, disappeared again and left us to our own devices! He brought us our food and left again, another couple and their child where in the dining room at that stage and they received the same shocking service! we both ordered steak (supplement of €5 each) and it was nice enough although we had no choice of side orders and where not offered a drink at any stage of our meal! We ate really quick as it was freezing in there and with a sick child we headed on up to the room again. My husband asked the waiter could our dessert be brought to our room and to his credit the waiter did deliver it.
Things went from bad to worse, we had no cot so we decided to push the double bed and the single bved together and against the wall......what I found under the double bed nearly made me sick! It was completley filthy! Dust balls, food, cigarette butts and matches amoungst the grime!! Then the noise kicked in! I understand there was a wedding on and im all for a livley wedding but why put a family right over the top of the main event???? a very sleepless night was had!!! the next morning we reported the dirty room and where assured that it would be given a thorough clean that day! We didnt arrive back to the hotel until 9.30pm that 2nd evening, the area where I had moved the bed had been cleaned so out of curiosity I moved the other bed and lo and behold......it had also been neglected and was in the same state as the double bed the previous night!!!! I couldnt wait to leave! The next morning at breakfast we had to ask the only waitress working there 3 times to fill up the juice cup for our child and we where not asked once did we need anything else!!
All in all I left the place feeling like I had not had a break!! I would def not reccomend this hotel to anyone! I understand how hard iot is to keep on top of decorating but cleanliness is an absolute must and the hotel should not shut down to other paying guests just because there is a wedding on!!!

Room Tip: To get a better room stay in another hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
ClaireOMahony01, Sales & Marketing Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear NatalieM,

Thank you for your respond. Further to our conversation both myself and Barry Howard(General Manager) are delighted that you and your family would be happy to return for another stay.

We once again would like to apologize for the issues that arose during your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodlands Hotel, Waterford in the future.

Thank you for your time once again.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Woodlands Hotel was the perfect hotel for our family, in Waterford City for great shopping and restaurants but also only a few minutes to Dunmore East, Tramore for family activities and Passage East and the ferry for a great day trip to Hook Head.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear DinoIreland,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us here in the Woodlands Hotel.

I am also delighted to see that you enjoyed the local amenities.

We hope to welcome you back to the Woodlands Hotel in the near future.

Mullingar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed in previous years for business purposes and decided to use it as a base for a short family break. Got a great deal huge room and great buffet breakfast. Barman friendly and witty, cant say a bad word about any of the staff. Leisure centre perfectly acceptable and clean.
Have stayed in 4 and 5 star that were no better, would definitely recommend..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear FriesanB,

Thank you for your respond. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here in the Woodlands Hotel. Please note that I have passed all your delightful comments onto the team who I am sure will find this very motivating.

We hope to welcome you back to the Woodlands Hotel in the near future.

Clonmel, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I have to say we have stayed at this hotel a few times now and it just get better and better, in Barry Howard the manager they have someone who understands what customer service is all about ,food was excellent,rooms could do with a lick of paint but the service more than makes up for this,all in all i would strongly recommend this hotel ,I have stayed in so called 5 star hotels that do not look after you as good.I will be back. This is an oasis that everybody should experienced .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ClaireOMahony01, Sales & Marketing Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear Stephen C,

Thank you for your response . It is great to hear that you have become a regular guest of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you backto the hotel in the near future.
I have passed your comments on to the team who are delighted with the comments.
Again thank you for taking the time to put up your review.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We had our wedding in the Woodlands Hotel, Waterford during July 2011. We had a great day and would thoroughly recommend this hotel to any couple looking for the ideal wedding venue.
There is ample parking for the guests outside the hotel. It is a short drive from the city centre on the Dunmore Road. The facilities were excellent including a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and childrens pool. There is an onsite hairdressing salon and an excellent beautician service, which some of our guests availed of.
The receptionists were organised, professional and welcoming. The function room accomodated all our guests which allowed plenty of space for dancing in an air conditioned venue. The food was excellent complimented by extremely efficient service. The hotel accomodation was top class with some of the rooms recently refurbished. We were extremely satisfied with the professionalism of the general manager Barry Howard. Many thanks to the Woodlands Hotel for making our day run so smooth and seamlessly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Our party of 5 consisting of two adults and three children stayed at the Woodlands Hotel recently for two nights stay. When we initially got our room it was incorrect as we had booked a room with a double and two single beds together with a small bed for the youngest child. However, what we got was one double and one single bed. When we questioned this at reception we were told all the family rooms were fully booked and eventually we got a second room compliments of the hotel. This was the only negative side to our trip and we were happy with the outcome. We ate in the bar for our lunch which was good except one of the party was a vegetarian and we had to ask three different people before we could get something to eat which we thought was a bit of a draw back. The rooms were perfect and clean, shower excellent and could not fault them in any way. The breakfast was excellent and service overall excellent. The location also of the hotel was very good in that we were near Tramore for the kids and also Passage West where you can cross over to Wexford. Great Hotel and staff eager to help and would definitely revisit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ClaireOMahony01, Sales & Marketing Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear oriordan,

Thank you for your response. I am glad to see that your room situation was dealt with and the outcome was satisfactory for both parties.

I am sorry to hear about the vegetarian option however please note that I have passed on this to the Bar Manager who I am sure will apprecaite the feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed the services and the staff within the hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Again thank you for your review.

Claire O'Mahony

Been to Woodlands Hotel? Share your experiences!