“Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$553*
and up
3-Day Southeast Ireland Tour from Dublin...
Ranked #4 of 14 Attractions in Waterford
Type: Tourist/ Visitor Centers, Other
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Originally founded by George and William Penrose in 1783, Waterford crystal is world-renowned for quality and beauty. Have you seen someone blow molten crystal into a vase? Check out the factory tour. Visitors are guided through the factory to see experienced craftsmen at work, creating new crystal pieces. The factory is open to tours, contact the company for details.
Great Lakes, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I am not much for tours myself and found that the tour was overpriced, however, since my companion was paying for it I went along. It was interesting to see how the crystal was made, more so than I thought it would be. Takes a bit longer than necessary but it was ok.

Visited March 2014

• Polish first
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Worth a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Wow it was fantastic, To start after buying tickets, had coffee in the cafe, while we waited for our tour to begin. A lovely young lady Introduced herself to our group and started the tour around the Crystal factory, what amazing crystal we saw, a full size grandfather clock made out of crystal, some of the designs you would not believe, it is a must to visit, well worth it.

Edmonton
4 attraction reviews
“Great place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Totally enjoyed our visit there. Bought a piece of crystal which will forever bring back joyful memories.

Los Angeles, CA
6 attraction reviews
“Interesting tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Well, I went into this tour a little mad, being that our GPS took us to the old closed-down factory and it took us a good 45 minutes to find the actual location. With that being said, I have to say the tour was as good as it gets for mass-tours. It is true, the majority of Waterford crystal is not made there anymore. The small plant there makes speciality items, like trophies for golf tournaments, the BCS game, the ball for theTimes Square NYE celebration, etc. But, the company has a long history and it is worth doing. You are taken in groups of about 15 through the plant, and are given plenty of time to explore and ask questions. The master artists are very friendly and are happy to stop their work and talk to you about their pieces and how each part of the process works. You are not rushed through and you can see how proud they are with what they do. It is very cool to see glass-blowing in person and actually talk to those doing the work.

Yes, they have a huge storeroom at the end, but we didn't feel the need to buy a thing. I took my husband and two sons (9 & 17) on the tour and they enjoyed it as much, if not even more than I did. If you are going just to buy a piece of crystal just because it has the Waterford name on it, it is not worth the trip. If you enjoy the art of crystal design, I think you will enjoy it.

Sterling, Virginia
11 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Before visiting here, I had no idea how much of the crystal-making process is by hand. Our tour took us from making a mold and a template, to blowing the glass, to cutting and polishing. After seeing the process, I can understand why this stuff is so expensive! Our tour guide, Natalie, was very informative and answered a multitude of questions from the group. As with many places, you have to leave through the gift shop, but there was very little there that I could afford! Try to get there earlier in the day, as it was very crowded when we left mid-day.