“This is more than a Hotel Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 125 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“This is more than a Hotel Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Staying in the Athenaeum House, did not sway my review of this fine restaurant... our 1st night was planned, Good Friday for the "day that was in it" as the Irish say...

It surpassed our expectations, from starter to dessert - excellent, I'd the scallops and the Venison (cooked perfect at Medium rare), the reports of the steak were nice - I'll collaborate this as this was my main course on Easter Sunday.

Very attentive (just about the right level) turned what was our breakfast lounge into a fine restaurant with atmosphere to suit for the Friday (although it was quieter), Sunday was busier in due to a loud party with numerous young kids struggling past 10pm (not the hotels fault, but I'm not a stick in the mud, but I did feel the young babies/kids may have benefitted from an earlier meal time). I do commend the staff for how they dealt with this though. It is the rough with the smooth.

So two nights, and two thumbs up from us - with the Hotel being very nice, we would always consider returning or just eating here again, when next in the neighbourhood.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Waterford, Ireland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Most amazing experience in Waterford! Great ambiance, amazing chef and really welcoming proprietors! This is one of the best places for a fancy dinner or a relaxing lunch. At a very agreeable price!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Outstanding food...and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Everything fresh right off the farm good! Doesn't get any better than this! I had never heard of black and white pudding! Carrie (receptionist), made sure I tried it! Don't know about other black and white puddings...but this was delightful and I am American! The ambience was superb. relaxing, sophisticated, elegantly stated but comfortably suited. Excellent cocktail/beverage/table service. Everyone should eat here!

Visited September 2012
Waterford
“Lovely food in nice surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had lunch there yesterday and it was all beautifully presented, good service, lovely flavours, nicely cooked and in a pleasant atmosphere - it felt like a special treat

Visited September 2012
Waterford, Ireland
“Simply Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Have eaten here twice and both times the food was so fresh and mouth watering. The First time I ordered the Trio of Pork and my friend the lamb stew and it was just perfect. We got a selection of hot fresh bread and just made it for me :) even bread with Bacon bits YUM! The next night I went in a group of 8 and everyone of us loved it. I had the Chicken Ballotine, The only problem was that I ate it too fast!!! It was that good. Not to forget dessert :D both times I had the Chocolate Pot, very very good. Finished each meal with a drink on the terrace.

I can't fault this place. The service was great too, very friendly. Decor clean and sophisticated. Great Value too, Table D’Hote Menu only €25 (4 courses). The only thing I would say is play a little music in the restaurant ;-) Can't wait to go back.

• Visited August 2012