“Fantastic service, always so friendly & 5* Menu” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 118 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: La Bohème Restaurant is housed in the vaults of the Georgian ‘Port of Waterford’ building – an historic property which has been associated with the local Chamber of Commerce for many years.Proprietors Christine and Eric Théze have patiently restored this magnificent space to create an inviting and intimate atmosphere. Its original flagstone floors, limewashed walls and vaulted ceilings are unique and particular to Waterford. The design of the restaurant is sympathetic to the architecture of the building, with influences of New Baroque. The restaurant combines ornate antiques and decoration with modern touches creating an eclectic, decadent interior.La Bohème is a restaurant where the pleasures of the table are in accord with the décor, blending modern delicacies with recipes passed down from generation to generation. Enjoy an aperitif at our beautiful pewter bar while perusing the menu and whetting your appetite.‘Here at La Bohème we pride ourselves in going the extra mile to give our customers a dining experience beyond comparison’
“Fantastic service, always so friendly & 5* Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Unfortunately no longer living in Waterford so don't get here much anymore. I called the restaurant last weekend to make a special request for two friends (couple) who were celebrating a nice romantic birthday meal. Had a cake delivered to restaurant as a surprise and also called later in the day to buy some cocktails to be presented upon arrival. At no stage was I rushed (even though I left it late in the day & called at a busy time) I was kindly thanked for my call, my custom and told I would receive a copy of bill for drinks by post if required. Spoke with friends next day who said everything as usual was perfect from the setting ,to cocktails,meal and overall service and presentation. I decided to leave this review (my first ever) to show my appreciation as I see first hand how easy restaurants in busy,thriving cities get business without doing nothing out of the ordinary for it, yet in Waterford, amazing restaurants such as La Boheme must stay on top of their game to keep a consistent, regular trade in a challenging time for any business. I will be returning here for my annual Christmas meal with family (we come here every year at Christmas time) and this year, like every year, I can't wait!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear DebKev1,
What lovely words you published on Trip Advisor for a first timer. We are blushing!

We work hard with our staff as a team and try to give personal, polished, professional service in the dining room. The kitchen staff only use fresh local ingredients and work like beavers to send out the very best they can. We are then recompensed royally by your review for which we thank you.

We are delighted we will see you again at Christmas and look very much forward to making it a special occasion for you once more.
kindest regards,

Glagow
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We ate here this week and, based on reviews were looking forward to a good meal. While the starters & desserts were pleasant, main courses were very disappointing. My husband chose beef while I had lamb; we both asked for medium, but the meat was rare, bloody. I didn't bother to return it to the kitchen as it was an inferior, fatty cut of meat. The young boy who cleared away the plates - I had hardly eaten anything- only smiled & retreated when I said it was very poor. We won't be back to La Boheme.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear JkbGlagow,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Whilst we very much appreciate feedback (positive or negative), we prefer when a customer has a problem with their meal to talk to us in person on the night.

We have a manager who has a diploma in Restaurant Management. Part of his role is to look after our clients on our behalf and he should have been alerted to your discontent straight away. Our apologies for this, we have brand new staff and although they go through very rigorous training before let go on the floor, we do have to brush up their table side skills for a few weeks to get them to the level that we require. The young man in question should have made the manager aware your meat was not cooked to your liking and we would have given you the option of replacing it with the correct "cuisson".

Your comment about the quality of meat you were served as inferior is quite incorrect. It was perhaps not cooked to your liking (our mistake) but the quality is certainly excellent. We source our ribeye (which is a fatty steak, therefore giving it more flavour) and our rump of lamb from Dawn Meats. I urge you to look up their website for all the awards they have attained due to the quality of their Irish meat. We would not sacrifice our reputation which is also our livelihood by using poor quality products of any kind.

If we can make up for your disappointment recently, please call the restaurant and ask to speak directly to myself and we can discuss the when and how's.
I hope to hear from you in the near future,
kind regards,
“Very enjoyable Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

My Wife and I went too the jazz night for the food festival. Food was fantastic,service was excellent, beautiful atmosphere and the wine was wonderful. All in all a great night out. Will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Happykamper35,
Thanks for your wonderful review on T.A. It's certainly buzzing with enthousiasm about the Jazz, the food, ambience and wine, we are delighted you enjoyed everything.

We hope to see you on a future Jazz night!
kind regards,
Ballynahinch, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Lovely spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

good food, good surroundings , and really nice staff all for a reasonable cost. only downside for me being a vegatarian was a lack of amouse bouche for myself and a wait for the bill

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear David M.
Thanks for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. Delighted you enjoyed our "lovely spot", the food, the atmosphere and our nice staff.

Our apologies you were not brought a vegetarian mise on bouche, as this is normally done for non meat eaters. We do have a few new staff members and whilst their training is thorough, small details like this can sometimes slip. I will make sure to mention it at our next staff meeting.

Our bills are double checked before brought to the table and sometimes this takes a little while if alot of bills are asked for at the same time. Sorry if you were held up.

Thanks again,
Athlone, Ireland
“Unfriendly atmosphere, will not go back.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Walking around Waterford with my family looking for a restaurant on a damp evening, the outside looks great, really interesting so we went in ... thats where I stop giving good comments. We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children ... Based on the look we got from the hostess I am actually surprised we were given a table. I asked if they had any tables for four and was told there is a private small room we could be put into. I said fine because we were all quite hungary and we do appreciate good food. We were brought into a room by the hostess, given two menus and were told "we dont give out kids menus as we dont normally get kids". In other words and by the look on her face "we dont want your group". Also, using the term "kids" in a supposed good restaurant, not acceptable. We were briefly told the specials but couldnt hear as she was looking elsewhere, we were not directed to a wine list, or to any possible childrens choices or even where the bathrooms were. There were tourists sitting in the same area having their meals and the attention given to them was second to none but when we asked for anything we were either ignored or given brief attention. We asked twice for recommendations for the children but were given none. When the food did arrive I felt it was thrown at us. No help to set the table up specifically for a family. Our children were actually really good that evening, if they were not I would accept some resistance to us but the service we got and the attitude from the hostess, really unacceptable. I have read other reviews of this restaurant and they give shining reviews. I will not be adding to those. We have been to so many restaurants across the country and also in Europe with our children and have never been treated in the way we were in La Boheme. The only comment I will give on the food is that for the type of restaurant this is meant to be .. baby boiled potatoes and steamed vegetables ... really, come on ..... Fish good. Will not be back, will not recommend and if the hostess is the owner, she needs to change her attitude and promote her restaurant not make people feel so bad when they come out. Even when we left and were paying the bill, we were not asked how our meal was, did we enjoy. There were others coming in at the same time and they were given attention. There should be a big sign outside, "No families allowed"

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear ChrissyCrossy, reviewer, admin team,
I came across this perfect phrase on a restaurant collegue's trip advisor response and feel it's very much suited to how I would like to respond to your review.

Firstly your review is not in keeping with the norm for La Boheme Restaurant. Please see other reviews. Secondly, I would normally choose to ignore such a review but on this occasion I thought it best to respond and defend my business.

Firstly I am the "hostess/owner" whom you refer to in your unjust sinopsis of your evening. I suppose the look of surprise that I may have given and which you have very mistakenly interpreted as unwelcome was just that surprise to see a family with two small children come in so late on a week-end with no booking. I must say not a regular occurrence in our fine dining restaurant. Saturday's are always fully booked and there is an element of stress like in any job to make sure staff and diners are all happy. Quite an impossible job, but one we are happy to say we do get right almost 100% of the time as you can read from the other reviews.

The night in question was a very very busy Saturday night. You were accommodated very adequately without reservations, immediately in one of our smaller dining areas at a lovely table.

Your child started crying as soon as you were brought to the table, and you asked me to rush and get him a glass of water to calm him down. I ran to do so. I then proceeded to give you menus and tell you about our specials. I also mentioned that as we do not normally serve alot of children ( not kids) we do not have a specially typed up menu for them, but I did clearly explain, that for children under 12 we serve our soup of the day, a choice of either roast breast of chicken,the fish of the day or a small steak with vegetables and potato and ice cream for €12.00.

I also explained that your waitress would be along shortly to take your order. If you had other queries regarding the selection available for children, your waitress certainly would have been in a position to guide you had you asked. The waitress who looked after you that evening has always worked that particular section of the restaurant for close on 4 years now and not ONCE in all that time have we ever had a complaint, only praise for her caring, professional attitude.

I have been to thousands of restaurants and not once in 40 years have I been told when seated by either owner, hostess or waitstaff where the toilets are. It has never been a big deal to simply ask and be told.

With regards to your comment "When the food arrived, no help to set the table up specifically for a family", this is just too ambiguous to find a response to as I am not sure what you actually meant by this or what you were expecting.

The potatoes you were served were some of the first new Wexford potatoes of the year and are usually a treasure for most of our diners. They are grown by a small organic farmer who we like to support. The vegetables were a selection (again all organic from the same supplier) of heirlom carrots, brocoli, courgettes, & mange tout which we saute "minute" for each table in butter. Apologies if they were not up to your standard.

Families and children have always been, will always be very welcome by me and by our staff in La Boheme.