“I really like this place. My wife never...” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 125 Restaurants in Waterford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“I really like this place. My wife never...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I really like this place. My wife never does though. Maybe it's a French thing.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Waterford City, Ireland.
“This restaurant is over-rated, overpriced...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

This restaurant is over-rated, overpriced and lacks L'athmosphere.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“Another Bridgestone Award (2010)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

This must be the fifth or sixth year in a row, they have won this award.

Not surprising really. Super food, superb value and a wonderfully varied menu. I've eaten there quite a bit over the years. I may not go as far as Tom Doorley (he says it's his favourite restaurant) but it certainly is up there in the top three or four of my favourites in Ireland.

It is important to point out that this is a French restaurant, not an Irish/French restaurant that tries to emasculate French cuisine to make it acceptable to the average Irish palate. No, there are very few compromises here, thankfully. Strong flavoured, gutsy food, is what this restaurant is about. Long may it continue so.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“One of the best restaurants in Waterford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

The food here is excellent, and very good value. Good selection of vegetarian main courses (on request). Good house red. Creme brulee is to die for. Have never been disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
waterford
“very disappointing to say the least.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I have gone to this restaurant 5-6 times before and always found the food to be of good quality and value for money, on my last visit which was last Sunday (3-01-10) I was very disappointed to say the least. I had gone there with my wife and 13 yr old son; we decided to go for the €20 per head menu. My son and I ordered the vegetable soup for starters, the soup was flavourless and the consistency was like water, we had to smother it with salt and pepper in order to get a taste of it, I can honestly say that I have gotten packet soup that was nicer. My wife got the cheese parcel which was ok but it was quite small compared with previous times. Considering that both of these starters are pre made there is no excuse to get them wrong.

For our main course the 3 of us ordered a chicken casserole dish that came with potatoes and vegetables in it. It came to our table in one big dish to share between ourselves. The portion size was enough to keep 1 person satisfied, there was 4-5 slices of boiled potatoes (not even full ones) and a handful of cubes of carrots and about 3 pieces of chicken per person, at this point I should of called for the waiter but I didn’t (will know better next time).I’ve had this dish before and the sauce was allot richer, thicker and much tastier, some double cream wouldn’t of went astray.

For deserts we ordered 2 crème brulles and profiteroles, the 2 crème brulles were nice, I thought that the pastry in my profiteroles was very thick and tasted quite stale, as I have never eaten profiteroles in a restraunt maybe this is the way that they are supposed to taste?. I just thought that they would be more fluffy and lighter. Before I paid my bill I called the waiter aside discretely to express my disappointment and he gave me a comment card to fill in, he should have given me 3-4 sheets of A4 paper, he said that he would give it to the chef, in all honesty I think that he was fobbing me off. The pen that he gave me to write with wasn’t even working properly, at this point I felt like someone in a faulty towers episode. I paid my bill and ran out the door.

“WOULD I EVER RETURN TO THIS RESTAURAUNT”
My son who was looking forward to going there said that it was one of the worst meals that he’s ever eaten and that he would never go back. Both my wife and myself said that it would be a long time if ever before we would return. For the sake of the restaurant staying in business I hope to GOD that we caught them on a bad night.

My review is 100% honest and I am not lying or exaggerating to illustrate my point. I hope that the owner(s) read this and I would love them to reply. I am well used to dining out on a regular basis throughout the country and have numerous meals both good and not so good but this is the first time that I felt compelled to submit a review

• 1 of 5 stars Food