“Fine if hungry on the Limerick road” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Fine if hungry on the Limerick road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Matt the Thresher has been an adequate stop-off for average food when on the road to/from Limerick for years. You can go in and get a reasonably priced, average-tasting burger and chips or open sandwich, but while the young waitresses were pleasant and helpful, don't expect much charm from the owner, who practically ordered rather than invited us where to sit (when the place was virtually empty). It's fine if you're hungry, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dublin
“Just as I remembered.............”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Whist travelling recently to Killarney we needed some food & I recalled a pub I used to visit some years back in Birdhill. Sure enough it was still there. The waitress was very attentive and provided menus promptly. We made our selections & had a pint while waiting. The Guinness was good,& the food arrived quickly. I had the Irish stew, the wife had a fish dish. There was plenty of wholesome food on the plate & we followed with two desserts & coffee to finish. All in all, it was just as I had remembered it. Good food, good drink & a nice atmosphere all round. Reasonably priced & hit the spot.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Bucking The Trend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The reviews on Tripadvisor don't seem to have been terribly positive! Maybe I missed something then on our visit. We dropped in late afternoon and I do admit I was a little apprehensive as the man who greeted and seated us had little charm or personality. However, the waitress who dealt with us from then on was very pleasant and indeed all those serving that I witnessed seemed friendly and efficient. I had an open sandwich with crab meat whilst my companion had some chips and a toasted sandwich - not exactly haute cuisine, but you have to get even the simplest things right. We had no complaints, the crab meat was well seasoned and plentiful and the chips were perfect. We then shared a delicious and apple filled tart with cream. No complaints.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cork, Ireland
“Bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went for lunch with two friends. One lady only had an open sandwich - two small pieces of stale/hard soda bread. The others had fish - one was ok and the other fish was not cooked. The "manager" was a very unpleasant man - no personality whatsoever. In the hospitality business one has to have the right personality. I would not ever go there again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not as good as I had expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Dropped by recently and was surprised at the prices for a pub. Not so busy - but the food we were served was very good. The waitress had very little English but was pleasant. Wouldn't be in a rush back - as did not feel it was value for money.

• Visited July 2013