“Comfortable 1 night stay” 4 of 5 stars

The Glasshouse
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Swan Point, Sligo, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sligo
Sligo, Ireland
“Comfortable 1 night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Decided to stay in Sligo Town following a night out and picked the Glasshouse as a treat as I live outside Sligo and always wanted to see what the rooms were like and was convenient for me for work the next day (as didn't want to drive morning after night before).

As I am from Sligo I never stay in town, but if I was to be a critical tourist from outside town, I wouldn't be impressed with the car park entrance to the hotel. From the car park you walk into a bleak, grey building until you enter another room with a pop up banner and a bit of a tree.

Anyways check in was quick and efficient. We checked in at approx 6.30pm. Very impressed by the rooms! Lovely, bright, clean, airy...mod cons like irons, kettle, tv and all the bits that are expected. We were attending a concert in town at 8pm so before we left the room we filled out our room service leaflet (again a treat as never get room service anywhere and it would mean longer in bed before work!).

After the concert and night out, we returned to our room at approx 3am. Our room service sign was still on the door but it said to leave out before 4am so passed no heed as didn't think night porter was on duty yet. Went to bed and fell asleep...woke for work and no sign of breakfast. Had it ordered to arrive between 8.30am and 9am and by 9.10am couldn't wait any longer and was rushing off to work.

I know it wasn't the hotel's fault I didn't have time to go down for breakfast - but the one time I went with room service I presumed it was coming to the room and didn't allow for any contingency's. The sign was still on the door when I left for work at 9.20am - no one collected it. As I had to pay for the room at check in, it meant my breakfast was paid for even though I didn't eat it (if I had time would have gone down to breakfast buffet but didn't). My boyfriend did stay and eat as he wasn't in a hurry. He said breakfast buffet was just okay anyways and that I didn't miss much. He also complained on check out about the room service but all they said was 'sorry.' Their loss I guess as we were willing to pay the €10 extra for the luxury over Christmas.

Apart from the breakfast saga, hotel was lovely. Would use it again if opportunity arose.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Killybegs, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Really enjoyed my two nights stay here really nice hotel clean staff were brilliant!!! France's the night porter was brilliant he couldn't have done enough for us!!will definitely be back for a few more trips really the best hotel in Sligo...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Close to the evening activities downtown. Nice rooms, get one by the water if you can. Nice friendly staff. Parking garage, restaurant & bar if you don't want to go out. Highly recommended. Has a modern flair, not old Ireland.

Stayed January 2012
Western Ireland, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here previously 2 years ago & I was almost as impressed on this stay as I was after that one. Check in was quick & friendly & I used the lift to get to my room on the 3rd floor. I’d booked a single & was happy with the size of my room. Clean & modern, it was brightly decorated & had a comfortable double bed, large wardrobe, wall mounted flatscreen tv, luggage rack, tea/coffee, safe, iron & ironing board, smoke alarm & plenty of natural light. It had air con, a desk mounted electric fan & a large vertically hung radiator. No problems with noise from inside or outside of the hotel.
Size wise, the bathroom was a little disappointing & I also had problems with controlling the temperature of the shower, the pressure of which could have been better. That said, the bathroom was clean with fully tiled walls & floor & had everything needed with bath, non fixed shower head on a riser rail, bath screen, towels, toiletries, large mirror, shaving socket, wall vent & retractable clothes line. A small issue with the positioning of the toiletries in the shower which were in a fairly cramped corner, more or less, right underneath the shower spray rather than on the side wall as is more commonly found.
Complimentary national daily newspapers were available from reception & parking was free for guests in the hotel’s underground car park, just remember to get your ticket validated before leaving the hotel. Breakfast was from 0700 to 1030 but unfortunately I overslept & missed it, so, can’t comment on it but the oversleeping tells you how very good the sleep quality was in my room.
Checking out was as quick & as friendly as checking in had been.
My previous stay had been better but only because of the small issues that I had this stay with the bathroom (none of which I mentioned to the hotel staff because they didn’t really inconvenience me too much for just a one night, one person stay & yes, I was asked on checking out if everything had been ok). I’d still have no hesitation in recommending this hotel & will stay there again when i get the chance to do so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the glasshouse last week with my mum and sister who had just had an operation. We stayed in the junior suite which was amazing. The room was fab with a massive king size bed and another single. The room also had floor to ceiling windows with a balcony and a mini kitchen and office. Nicest room I've ever stayed in and wasn't to expensive considering there were three of us. The food was also excellent and the staff were
Very helpful allowing us to take food back up to the room for my sister after breakfast. Will definitely be returning to this hotel when in Sligo again.

• Stayed December 2012
Ashland, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

So the hotel is ok, the bat is lively, the restaurant is ok, the rooms are typical although the 1970 hipster look is a bit much. It's clean and that's good. There is no plugin the bath room so you need to dry your hair in the main room. The Internet in the room is only wired and it did not work but they were 'fixing it'. There is no gym but you can run the channel right outside.
Like I said....ok not bad not wow

• Stayed December 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Night staff were extremely rude.room was not cleaned to a high standard.disappointed considering the price. The location is superb with stunning views of the town but was left disappointed with the the above issues.the next time I have to stay in Sligo I will be taking my business elsewhere

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Glasshouse? Share your experiences!