“brilliant hotel, would definetly come back to the Glasshouse” 5 of 5 stars

The Glasshouse
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Swan Point, Sligo, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sligo
belfast
“brilliant hotel, would definetly come back to the Glasshouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

We are just back from a great stay at the Glasshouse hotel, not only was it great value for money, it was also a very pleasant experience we have a beautiful view over the river and watched the swans swimming up a down the river. Food was great and was reasonably priced.The only negative i had with this hotel is when i booked it i asked if there was entertainment on and was told yes, but when we got there we were told they had no intertainment on, we went to a pub just up the street a bit from the hotel called Fiddler's Creek, it had a good atmosphere but was packed out. We used to stay and the Clarion in Sligo but i have to say i liked this hotel a little better as it was very central and it was also very retro, rooms are large, beds are massive and they are very comfy, i wouldnt hesistate coming back to this hotel, in fact i will look forward to it on my next break.
Traveller from Belfast

• Liked — funky rooms
  • Disliked — no entertainment
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

New modern hotel right in the centre of Sligo with free car parking...right beside a river...at a cheap enough cost of £86 for B&B for a double room!!!
Our room was fantastic...huge, great air conditioning, 4th floor with a fantastic view over the Garavogue River, flat screen telly, nice colours!!!
Didn't have dinner in the hotel...opted for some bar food in Fiddlers Creek opposite the hotel...only bar I've been in where you don't seem to be able to order slightly differently to the set menu...nice food...but poor service for any fussy eaters out there!!!
Hotel's two bars were very busy on the Saturday night...so much so we couldn't get a seat...so headed off to Gurns City Bar just across the road for one...then on to the nightclub The Velvet Room...well run establishment that plays great chart music!!! Definitely would come back to Sligo just to go that club again!!!
Breakfast was dead-on...not busy at all!!!
Regarding the underground parking which was free...they seem to be having difficulties with the barriers...they were up whenever I arrived and left the hotel...I'm sure some local people use it to their advantage!!!
Probably the best hotel in Sligo due to it's location!!!

• Liked — View from my room
  • Disliked — Bars were very busy in the evening
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

What to say about the glasshouse? From the outside, a wonderful glass construction beside the river - a brave statement in a rural town in Ireland and we loved it. Beautiful swans by the boardwalk around the hotel and the sound of rushing water - what's not to like? We thought the price for a double BandB was fine in relation to the type of accomodation. Free secure underground parking adjoining the hotel which is included in the price. nice! The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. There is a feeling of Andy Warhol meets Roy Lichtenstein meets The Fonz from the decor and fittings. We got no feeling that this place was making a serious statement but more a fun way to decorate a very modern building. The much commented upon carpets seemed to have been influenced by a Bridget Riley painting and we thought they were a great talking point. Funky art coved the walls. Room was also decorated in a similar fashion with large bed and good bathroom and A/C with bottled water supplied. I had booked on a travel website where there was no choice of room location so I rang the hotel a few days before arrival and asked if a river view was possible - "no problem" . We had dinner at a table watching the 17 swans glide down past us and we thought the food was good and not overpriced - and neither was the wine. Any down sides ? Two that would be easily solved. The dining chairs in the restaurant (and again at breakfast) were the single most uncomfortable, badly designed chairs we have ever encountered. Why try to re-invent the wheel? Breakfast was the usual badly run affair with toast not toasted (for us and everyone around us). Would be go back? Without a doubt - a great change from the fake antique mahogany wood and dark carpets and curtains used so much in new hotels nowadays. Just because of the chairs, we would dine out in one of the many restaurants in the town centre, but all in all, a great place to stay and good luck to them for taking a chance with such quirky design and fittings.

• Liked — design light and airy space
  • Disliked — horribkly uncomfortable dining room chairs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

I stayed at The Glasshouse recently along with a friend in 2 deluxe rooms. The building itself is quite dramatic for Sligo and the interior is quite impressive. The carpets are OTT so you'll either love them or hate them (they are very grubby so could do with a good shampoo!). Apart from the that the bar/lobby/reception look good. I liked the decor of my room (not as garish as the carpets) and the in-room amenities. I wouldn't have minded a mini-bar but there was 24 hour room service (I didn't order anything). I had a lovely view over the river. The room was large and clean and the bathroom was clean and the shower good. The front desk staff I encountered were all very friendly.
We had breakfast both mornings and found service friendly but a bit hit and miss - we had to wait ages for teas/coffees whilst there seemed to be tons of staff. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast buffets so will never rave about them. This one was similar to many others I've experienced.
Food in the restaurant was quite good but not brilliant. Service wasn't the best (friendly but not very polished).
After I left I discovered I probably left something in my safe. I am not certain but I e-mailed the hotel to check. After 4 days I e-mailed again and once again a week later. So after 3 messages I still have had no response. I've given up. It's a shame this lack of basic customer service has soured an otherwise quite enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
galway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

I wrote a rave review about this hotel earlier in the summer. I thought it was so nice we'd stay again. However, we quickly changed our minds. The hotel was fine not so sure about all the staff-not so helpful. For example, we went down to the restaurant for breakfast but the hot food was so long coming out that we couldn't wait any longer and had to leave. The not-very-happy-looking staff didn't entice us to stay, either-I felt like we were keeping them away from something much more important. There was other things that also contributed..............anyway, we won't be going back again-would have to agree with the other reviewer-would rather stay in a B&B next time!

• Liked — room was fine
  • Disliked — unhappy unhelpful staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Sorry about delay in writing this review. I actually wrote to the hotel (on the 14th August)with my complaints but still no one has bothered to reply. Our experience was terrible from check-in... we arrived early (1.00) but was told we would be contacted within an hour ... 2.5 hours later no one called us.. went for a bite to eat in their bar while waiting.. waited 45 minutes for Soup... then overcharged by €21....
We decided to upgrade our room eventually when we could check in... Do not do this as there is NO difference in rooms.... We were given 2 single beds.. made separately...
Could not use the bathroom due to the smell of sewerage coming up form the toilet. (had to brush our teeth outside the bathroom).
When checking out I brought all the above to the attention of staff, and was told that there was practically no difference in the upgrades.. but I was still charged.. also they informed me that "it was a constant problem" the smell of swerage as it is beside the river - this is not acceptable.
As I have said I had written to thte hotel and not reply from them.. not very good customer service..
I must say the actual building and decor of hotel is great, pity about the rest and management..
We were totally overcharged for what we got..
Stay somewhere else

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

Hi,
I stayed in The Glasshouse for one night as part of a Hen Party and initially thought the hotel to be over-priced (€180) for one nights B and B for the West of Ireland even prior to arrival. Upon arrival we had to pay up front, can only assume it's because we were part of Hen Party but upon reading another review discovered the same happened for another guest at the hotel....personally I've never come across this before.
We weren't in the hotel for long on arrival due to a dinner engagement.....however on return to the hotel at approx 3am we were met by approx 20 disgruntled guests attempting to enter the hotel to no avail!!! After meeting up with some of our party who had arrived at the hotel before us it transpired they had been waiting 20 -30 mins!!! Finally after gaining entry we were told there was no Night Porter on duty......again I've never heard or seen the like of it before....there didn't seem to be anyone in authority in reception apart from a guy behind the bar who promptly "shut up shop" as soon as he saw us arrive into the lobby....so much for "residents bar" .
People were milling about all over the hotel and I have to admit had I been trying to enjoy a relaxing nights sleep I would have been extremely cross.......it was pretty much free-reign for any of the guests who arrived back at the hotel in the wee hours of the morning.
As we were returning to Dublin early the next morning we ordered a room service breakfast the night before for between 9 and 9.30.....by 9.35 we were on the phone to reception. We were told a "load of them went upstairs a few minutes ago"......by 9.50 it still hadn't arrived and upon contacting reception we were told the receptionist would personally go to the kitchen to see what the delay was.....finally at approx. 10.10 it arrived.....lukewarm but at this point we probably would've eatern the leg of the table!!!
The hotel rooms were on the smallish side for a "double deluxe" but the view of the Garavogue River was nice but definitely not worth €180!!!! The general decor in the hotel was mystifying.....they were obviously aiming to be classified as a "trendy" hotel but are falling way short of the mark .Also like another reviewer I couldn't understand how the carpets were so grubby considering the hotel isn't open all that long.
General impression is that I probably wouldn't return....it did the job for a group of girls on a Hen Party but definitely wouldn't be the destination for a romantic get-away which is a shame as Sligo and the surrounding area really is beautiful....next time I'll be opting for a Bed and Breakfast I think!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The cost considering the service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Glasshouse? Share your experiences!