“regrettable midweek break” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Sligo
Derry, United Kingdom
“regrettable midweek break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed in Clarion Hotel Sligo for three nights in October the accommodation was good we found breakfast to be alright but it was a different story with the evening meal the food was cold and there was no vegetables on the menu on our three nights stay the menu was the same every night we were served by the bar manager who could not speak to us I would not stay at the Clarion again nor recommend it to anybody

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionSligo, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Sligo, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear140guest,
I am glad you found the accommodation and the breakfast good. I do apologise however for the evening meal and your experience and would be happy to discuss these further with you if you wish to contact me direct on sgray@clarionhotelsligo.com.

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in the Clarion for 2 nights in September. Upon arrival we were told that the price we booked at was different. When I queried this with the manager, I was told that as I didn’t have a confirmation email, I had no proof of the price (we didn’t get one, we did ring however, a week after we made the booking and confirmed the details). I have to say I came away from the conversation feeling like I had been spoken down to and dismissed haughtily.

Breakfast was a low grade buffet with dirty cups and tables. The selection of food wasn’t great if you weren’t having a full fry. The staff were completely overworked and we had to wait quite a while to be seated and then given toast and tea; however they remained friendly.
We did go for a drink in the bar on the Friday night which to honest doesn’t really know what it is. It has been decorated to look modern and trendy but reaches into cold and soulless, and the fact that everything bar the drink is in some form of vending machine smacks of ‘we don’t trust the staff to not snaffle it’, which for a supposed 4* is awful primarily because of how understaffed they were and still managed to remain friendly, helpful and efficient. The music was really chirpy pop music, which again didn’t fit with the image of the hotel.

The rooms were well put together, good beds that pleased me and +1 which is tough to achieve, however, again the little bits in the room were low grade; toilet roll, awkward kettle, crap selection of teas/coffees, no biscuits etc.; not huge issues but still touches that I would have expected a 4* place to excel with. My main issue was the noise – the adjoining doors may as well have not been there; which really ruined both night’s sleep.

Recommendations: sort out your booking system- it failed on two counts, the email and the pricing change. Get rid of the vending machine - trust your staff and get more of them. This is a 3* hotel in disguise but the fact that it has been rated as such allows it to charge higher prices than they deserve.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear
I have checked your booking confirmation made on line which sends an automatic confirmation out to guests. The rate charged reflects the rate quoted so I am unsure where the confusion is on this.

I do apologise if the breakfast was not up to standard and if there were any dirty items left around. The vending machines are very popular, especially with our younger guests who would not order items in the hotel bar.

It is regretful that your neighbours were noisy and disturbed your sleep both nights, again I apologise for this. Please fell free to contact me anytime on these.
Best Regards Sheila,
Sheila Gray, General Manager
Castlefinn, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just back from a two nights stay at the Clarion hotel Sligo and I have to say I was not disappointed as in pass hotel stays I have been. The hotel is beautiful, spacious and very clean. Staff are constantly cleaning and polishing and throughout the day seen a lot of cleaners and spraying the lifts and windows few times a day. When we arrived we were up graded to a suite which was great, the room had a bedroom, kitchen and living room and bathroom and was like a apartment, we enjoyed going into different areas in the room and it mage the experience more relaxing and was like home from home. We had a dinner on the Friday night and it was lovely and was a different and interesting menu as I love my food but needs to have favour and spice and I really enjoyed my chicken main the crunchie moose was so gorgeous. The two breakfasts were also very good excellent choice and the staff were very friendly and quick to come with tea and toast. The pool was also beautiful and clean and we really got relaxed in the steam room. The hotel is very suitable for children with the large room and suites. and I would definitely come back to this hotel very soon and bring my little girl as well this time as there is also a playroom for children in the hotel which I know she would enjoy. Never got a chance to try the spa so next time ill look forward to a nice massage.

Room Tip: Book when you know it will be quiet time and you could get a up grade.
Dear GraceD,
Thank you for your favourable review on our staff, service, facilities and food. I appreciate your recommendation and I hope to see you back again.
omagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

spent the week end here it was a beautiful setting ,all the staff were friendly, the food was very good and the Guinness spot on .Definitely would return its location was excellent for the odd day trip to surrounding sites etc ,great value for money.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ClarionSligo, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Sligo, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Johnomagh,
Thank you for your review and recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again.
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Hotel is very impressive as you pull up outside it and yet really ordinary once you enter. The Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms are average although you can clearly hear people in adjoining rooms.
The Breakfast again quite ordinary and a little boring if you are staying for a few days. We had an excellent evening meal in the restaurant one evening.
Overall an average hotel, pleasant staff and good value.

Room Tip: Make sure its well away from a room with Children

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Aociardha,
Thank you for your review and I am happy that your dinner and the service were excellent. The hotel interior is modern as opposed to the Elizabethan Facade as it lay derelect for a number of years and many features were destroyed during that period. I take on board your comments on a bit more variety on breakfast.
Middlebourne, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

What a nice hotel! The front desk attendants were very helpful, the room was more than adequate, although a long walk from the parking lot. The food in the restaurant was good, service a little slow but overall a good place to stay.

Dear LemueMoore,
Thank you for your feedback and that you enjoyed the service and facilities. I hope the rest of your stay in Ireland was enjoyable also.
Danville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

When you enter the grounds of this grand looking facility, you think you are in for a treat. Not so, we found the rooms, while ample, to have thin walls (could easily hear our neighbor's TV at 10pm), the beds are hard (those who like 'em hard will be satisfied), and the pillows were thin. Service, however, was excellent and the morning breakfast was good. But why do the Irish mix milk into the scrambled eggs? Location is good and you will find the area to be quiet. We really enjoyed our visit to Sligo, our first. It was worth the drive and we only wish we could have stayed more than one night.

Room Tip: Walk in shower is unusual. It took a while to figure out how to turn it on.
Dear JetBlue2,
Thank you for your feedback during your stay and I am deligthed your service experience was excellent. I apologise the bed was not to your liking and the noise from next door, it is a pity you couldnt have stayed longer as you wished. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Ireland.
Sheila Gray

Been to Clarion Hotel Sligo? Share your experiences!