“Terrible experience, do not stay here” 2 of 5 stars

Clarion Hotel Sligo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clarion Road, Ballinode, Sligo, Ireland   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sligo
Cork, Ireland
“Terrible experience, do not stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel really should be avoided, and how it got a 4* rating is beyond me.
Firstly the appearance, although impressive looking from the outside, there is still something creepy about it. Inside the hotel is like a maze, very poorly designed and really not fit fo purpose. One shouldn't have to walk for about 5-8 minutes to get from your room to reception (this is only a minor complaint). The leisure centre is actually quite nice. The restaurant is poor (there is no hot food served in the bar, which is very unusual for a hotel). My meal was totally overcooked, so much so that the waitress commented on it as she walked past. I was in a rush and hence did not request a replacement steak, and I was given a 10% reduction (less than €2 reduction!!. wholly inadequate considering the quality of the meal).
My bedroom was meant to have a king-size bed, in fact it had two single beds pushed together.
The room had interconnecting doors with the adjacent room, through which I could hear everything, particularly the TV as it seemed to be placed directly behind the partition doors. I rang reception to complain (at 10pm), and eventually (45 minutes later) they rang the adjacent room and asked them to keep the noise down. Not only was this annoying for me, but it was also unfair on the room next door, as they were not particularly noisy in the first place, it was merely a badly designed room set up.
Breakfast was poor, I requested fish for breakfast (as I would expect in any decent 4* hotel), to which I was told there wasn't any available. I then requested some poached eggs, and was presented with two gleaming white poached eggs. The eggs seemed to have been poached in pure vinegar (not just a dash), and where therefore inedible to me.
So I now had the full array of a bad meal, a bad night’s sleep and a bad breakfast.
I have tried to contact the hotel but have thusfar been ignored.

My best advice is to avoid this hotel, as it is definitely not worth the money, and i am sure that there are other hotels in the area which would represent far better value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Ballina, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked the Clarion Hotel by telephone the day before my stay. After the phone was answered I was put on hold and forgotten about. After about 5 minutes, I rang off and called back later. The person dealing with me the second time had a very bad telephone manner. I was put on hold again, but this time after some minutes they dealt with my booking but the person talked to me as if she was doing me a favour letting me stay there! I would have dropped the idea of staying at the Clarion because of this off putting manner, but my wife and I were to attend a wedding at the hotel.

The Clarion Hotel is housed in building which I believe was once a large psychiatric hospital, but this should not deter from its impressive structure as it is both very appealing in its architecture and location, and the grounds and setting are very well maintained. The hotel itself has been converted to a very high standard and the interior, bar, restaurant and public areas are very tasteful, fresh and new....no problems there.

When I checked in at 2-30pm, I was dealt with by possibly the most un-interested receptionist that I have ever encountered. Her communication with me consisted of...."fill that in and sign it'.....give it to me....how are you paying....followed by.....your room isn't ready.......... No welcome, no smile....NO GOOD!
Having just returned a few days previously from a long tour in Asia where I stayed in many hotels, I felt very insulted to be asked for full payment for a hotel room, and one that wasn't even ready, and to have payment in full demanded before I was even handed the key. For this to happen in my own home country and county was a bit of an insult. I felt misstrusted and the condescending demeanor of the person dealing with me annoyed me. I have never been asked to pay for a hotel room 'up front' anywhere in my many travelling experiences around the world. I pointed this out and reminded her that she had my debit card details and that I was checking in....I wasn't going anywhere! Later in the day, I did have a query and was attended to by another receptionist who was both charming and courteous. The room which I was allotted was both very clean and comfortable and I could not fault it in any respect except to say that It was a long way away, but it is a very large building so expect long walking distance to rooms depending on where they put you.
On returning to the main hotel later that night at around midnight, my wife and I decided on a nightcap....but no....there is no residents bar. We found this to be inadiquate in a hotel of this size, quality and price and made our feelings known. We were informed that we could be served a drink by the receptionist and drink it there....Great!
So after a long walk to our room we retired for the night.
The following morning we queued for breakfast for over 5 minutes while a staff member led people around the place showing them where to sit. When our turn came to be seated there was no good morning or no welcome, and it was most annoying to be told with a blank stare that we'd already had breakfast. I then had to assure the person that we had not turned up for breakfast a second time. The breakfast was OK and table service for beverages was very quick.

Our midweek room charge for a standard double for 1 night was €140-00, and that was the cheaper wedding guest rate.....that's expensive even for Irish standards.

In all...
Don't ask for payment before check out
Retrain you telephone booking staff
Open a residents bar
Welcome people

Room Tip: This is a big building. Try and get a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ballymoney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The adjoining doors in our room meant you could easily hear people in the neighbouring room which made sleeping somewhat difficult. Also there was no air conditioning in our room which made it very warm at night. If I was ever staying in this hotel again I would request a room without adjoining doors if possible. On the plus side the food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were very pleasant. The hotel bar serves an excellent pint of Guinness. The hotel also has a very good gym and swimming pool.

Room Tip: Requst a room without adjoining doors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Spent 2 nights here on a family get together. three adults sharing a suite with plenty of space..if any challenge was access to the bathroom. arriving late on the Friday night there was no bar food or room service available but hotel were willing to print take away menu for us and allow delivery to hotel for eating in room. Rooms were cleann, plenty of everything needed and cleaned daily. Breakfast was good, staff were friendly and accomodating to us having other family join us in the room/for breakfast.
Defintely would come back for the service and value

Room Tip: Get a suite - great space
Burnfoot, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived at our junior suite and were overcome with an awful unpleasant smell so we were changed to another suite which was what seemed to be 10 minutes away! There was a breakfast lying on the window sill outside neighbouring room and was still there, and smelling when we checked out the following day. Both door handles in room were hanging off the door, stains on carpet and on the chair. There were four of sharing the suite and soon realised that the toilet only flushed every half hour, awful! Upon returning after dinner the room was freezing, we had to sit in dressing gowns. i phoned reception and was told that she would turn on the heat for me but an hour later it was even colder. At this point i took it upon myself to look at the radiator and it was turned off, surely this should be the first thing that staff should tell the residents to do. At checkout the following day we informed the receptionist about our problems to which she was very apologetic, she took my phone number so that the general manager could call me and go through the problems, that was over a week ago and still no call!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Newbridge, Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights the end of January this year , staff very friendly , check in was good got all information we needed .One thing I would say the hotel is not well sign posted .
We had breakfast in the hotel every morning , which was very good , the scrambled eggs were the best I have had in years , all the family enjoyed the breakfast again very friendly staff . We used the pool also this was good , great to see a baby pool .

We had a drink in the bar on each evening before going out , we found the bar nice and comfortable , nice atmosphere for early in the week , prices were very good , the drinks were all served fine , again friendly staff

We had a family room, the room was great , a good size and very comfortable , the room was cleaned every day , there was good storage for all our family

over all a very nice hotel , great breakfast, friendly staff , would love to go back

Room Tip: Family rooms are very good
clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family & I recently stayed at the Clarion in Sligo for 6 nights. Unfortunately we were there under sad circumstances during my dads final days in Sligo hospice and for the duration of his funeral. Originally we chose the Clarion for it's location - 2 minutes from the hospital.
When we checked in on the Sunday night it was quite late but Darius was efficient and swift at check in.
Breakfast on each morning was lovely - seated immediately with a full range of all foods available - even on the Saturday morning when the hotel was quite busy, All the staff in the restaurant were constantly smiling no matter how busy they were and nothing was too much trouble.
The same for the bar staff (especially the young guy who served us on the Wednesday & Thursday night) we ate and drank in the bar & the barman even conjured up a table for 14 of us with only a 5 minute wait - despite other customers and only 2 staff - they were terrific.
Our room was ideal for the 4 of us to share & when the rest of the family joined us it was lovely that they were allocated tooms very close to us - without even been asked - a lovely touch.

Over the course of our stay there were 2 different girls on reception who were exceptional. Even as we were reserving rooms for others & swapping and changing every 5 minutes , checking in and out of rooms for the first 3 days, even storing our luggage for a whole day for us- their patience was really appreciated - so professional and such lovely personalities - not just to us but I witnessed on more than one occasion the same friendly and courteous manner to a number of other guests.

Audrey - a huge thank you for your help in arranging the funeral lunch, Again nothing was too much trouble and the whole team who served the lunch were so professional and helpful.

Rooms and entire hotel were spotless at all times. Food was fantastic and speedy. Service from start to finish was friendly & professional - from reception to bar to restaurant to housekeeping.

A huge thank you from the Sweeney family to each and every one of the Clarion Sligo team for making such a sad time for us so easy with your friendliness and professional services.

I will definitely return to the Clarion and will highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: we had a total of 6 rooms and not one complaint about any of them - seems the standard of rooms is t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel Sligo? Share your experiences!