“Its so DIRTY!! do u not stay at this hotel!!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Internet Special
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Sligo
Derry
“Its so DIRTY!! do u not stay at this hotel!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

For your own sake DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!
We were going to a football and match and thought how handy this hotel would be and it looked lovely on there webpage!! but looks can be decieving!!!!
Check in time for the room was 3pm!! we were there at just after that!! we got our keys and went up2 the room!! as soon as we opened the door the smell would of knocked you out!! the maids still had not been to the room!! there was bottles of beer and rubbish layin everywhere!! so i sent my husband over to see if the window was open and it was but the smell was so terrible!! i had to cover my mouth and nose walkin round the room!! on the way to open the window his feet was stickin to the carpet!!
i said to my husband before we go down to complain we have to give them the benefit of the doubt so i took a wee look around the room!! the cover for the bed at bottom of it was covered in brown marks....i dont no what it was but it looked as if it hadnt be washed in months!! there was blue/black mould on the bath!! i said to my husband i cant stay in this room tonight!! this is a joke!!
So we went down to complain and the man at reception was so cheeky it was unbelieveable!! We asked for a different room and he said that they were completely booked out!! i said that i couldnt sleep in room knowin how dirty it is and he said well we dont have another room!! he said that he can send the maids up but they will take 2 hours to clean it!! my husband started getting annoyed then!! we went through everything and my husband how r u goin to clean the carpet and everything else that is wrong!! we asked for our money but they wouldnt give us back our deposit!!
i wouldnt let anyone stay at this hotel not even my worst enemy!!

• Liked — nothing!!
  • Disliked — dirt!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stayed at the Sligo Southern a few weeks ago. The hotel itself is in a good enough location, within a five minute walk to the town centre.

My room was very small, but well enough equipped, modern and clean. Dinner in the restaurant was a pleasant experience, with a quick friendly service, and well cooked food with large portions.

I also enjoyed the breakfast, with plenty of tea and toast available, and a buffet service for the cooked food.

The hotel staff in general were efficient, friendly and helpful.

My main complaint was with the man with glasses on the reception desk at checking out time. He was extremely offensive in his attitude, bad mannered, and obviously had no people - customer skills. My complaint is very similar to the last contributers.

With a hotel with so much to offer, it's such a shame that one man should ruin my stay.

• Liked — food, location
  • Disliked — front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

For your own sanity - do not stay in this hotel. Myself & my girlfriend stayed here for what was supposedly a relaxing weekend. When we tried to check in the girl on reception said our reservation for 2 nights was not on the system. She said "no problem plenty of cancellations" & we were checked in. She had actually placed us in the junior suite by mistake. We went out that night and ended up in the velvet room (which is a fantastic place). At approx 11.30 the next morning my G/F awoke to the phone ringing & an irate man from reception insisting we had to check out immediately that there had been a big mistake. My G/F still half asleep told him we would be down shortly to sort it out. When we went down to reception we were met by the same ignoramus who was extremely rude & very agressive. He said that we were only booked in for one night but we could stay for a 2nd night if we wait for it "moved to another room & paid a higher rate". Reading between the lines it was easy to see what happened. The girl who checked us in put us into the junior suite by mistake (which is double the normal rate) & now they were trying to cover their own mistakes. So we asked for the manager confident she would see sense (& speak good English). Not to be she reiterated the same thing "you have to move room & pay more to stay 2nd night" Then we were asked for proof of our booking from the previous day. I said the girl didnt give me anything - i just filled out the registration form. (you dont usually get proof when checking in unless you booked online) UNBELIEVABLE at this stage all i could do was laugh - my GF was quiet annoyed so we left to get somethin to eat & said we'd be back. We decided then we would check out & stay with friends instead. To put the icing on the cake upon checking out i dealt with another girl but mr Ignorant was beside her attending to another guest. I paid her the rate gave her the key. Then as i was at the door - a loud voice shouted "EXCUSE ME" I turned around & it was him looking at me. Then he said "Are you checking out - have you paid yet" in front of everyone in the lobby. I didnt even acknowledge him & turned & walked. A bit of advice to Brian Mc Eniff (i went to school with your son) Get rid of all the ignorant staff which seems to be everyone & replace them with friendly helpful warm people. THIS is what makes all the difference. Also their is a plague upon entering the lobby "Cead Mile Failte Romhat" How ironic - i felt like pulling it off the wall. DO NOT STAY HERE. WORST experience i have ever had. Re Sligo - great town visit - Donaghys on coach lane or Bianconi Bistro (for Food) Fiddlers Creek, left bank (good bars) & The Velvet Room is a great niteclub

• Liked — Junior suite
  • Disliked — Staff
Grangemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

We stayed here for six nights and enjoyed the facilities.
the staff were very nice and friendly especially the boy at reception and the staff in the dining room in the morning were the happiest I have ever seen.
We enjoyed the service from all. Our television would not work night and one woman came and rectified straight away and was very, very pleasant about it.
breakfast was well cooked and all staff whether they had agrip of the language or not were very nice.
thank you very much to all.

• Liked — The closeness of the town of Sligo Bus Station and Railway station are right next to iot
  • Disliked — It was a bit pricy
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Co Down
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

My wife 6 friends and myself stayed at this hotel for the weekend and I can concur with Traveller99 very dingy
Television was broken and I asked to have it fixed to no avail, staff would not have a good grip on their English language.

Stayed March 2007
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

Stayed at this hotel last weekend for a family wedding. From start to finish the hotel was a disgrace. It looks good from the outside but that is it.

When i booked i booked a Double room and when we checked in we were given the smallest twin room i have ever seen in a hotel. I went back
to reception and asked if we could be moved into a double room as that was what i booked. We were then given the card for another room which was down at the end of a dingy hallway.

This new double room was just as small as the twin there was barely enough room to walk around the bed and when you walked the whole room shook as the wardrobe was not secured.

We decided to stay in that room besides going through the hassle of moving again but on check out i did say to the man in reception that it was a disgrace to be charging full price for the room but he just laughed it off saying they never had any complaints before about it. I really do doubt that though.

I would really not reccommend this hotel to anyone planning on stayingin Sligo. The reception staff were not very competent or friendly and the whole hotel inside was a bit dark and dingy.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

I have just returned from a weekend with my husband from the Sligo Southern Hotel. I can certainly say I WON'T be recommending the hotel to anyone. The whole place could do with a revamp as it is so old and not very clean. The Leisure Centre was far from any sort of luxury. At night time while trying to sleep you could hear what sounded like some kind of a air conditioning unit outside your window. The breakfast was terrible it was all thrown together on a small plate and on both mornings of our stay they ran out of brown bread. The first night of our stay we went down to the bar, my husband ordered a pint of Heineken that was served warm because the cooler wasn't turned on.The final straw was when we went to checkout, the girl behind the reception didn't know what price to charge us, she came up 3 different amounts all higher of what we should have paid, we were lucky to have kept a copy of the booking form from when we booked on the internet. I would like to see Sligo another time but will be looking for a different hotel

Stayed March 2007

Been to BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!