“Great stay at Sligo Southern” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Internet Special
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Sligo
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Great stay at Sligo Southern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Myself, my wife and our two children stayed for the last 6 nights. We found the accommodation really good value and the staff incredibly friendly and helpful. The location is great for the many excellent restaurants and bars in Sligo and just a few minutes drive from both Rosses Point and Strandhill Golf clubs - both must plays if you are a golfer staying in the area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BWSligo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Tony L,

Thank you kindly for your feedback it is greatly appreciated and we are delighted yourself and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel in the near future

T. Henry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Sligo, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

living in sligo, we decided to go here for some food on the June bank holiday Sunday, we had to wait 1 and 15 mins for food!!One bar man was on, doing the drinks and food with a bar full of people and a coach full of people arrived in. we ended up cancelling our starters because we were waiting so long. I just ordered a portion of fish fingers (4 fish fingers on a plate with nothing else) and i was charged for a full kids meal! when i questioned it as i only ordered a portion not the full meal i was told " thats what price the till is showing up". How you can justify that as an answer i dont know? Can the staff not use there own cop on or are they dependent on a till? I think that customer service should be a priority these days, but going by this episode i nor my family will not be returning. It was disgraceful!

Room Tip: if u want ot stay for location fair enough but very poor hotel! my family who visit quite often will...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear linda S,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, we do apologise for the service on the day, and rest assured this is not the norm. We have taken your comments on board and the matter has been addressed and procedures put in place

Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed the night spent here. I was a bit dismayed when I saw the "Best Western", thinking "Oh no. Not an American style hotel." But was pleasantly surprised by the ambiance. The lobby and public areas reminded me of the Victorian era. The room was spacious, clean, warm, well stocked with tea and coffee. We ate dinner there that night, I have pictures to prove it, but for the life of me I cannot remember the meal! That would be a good indication that there was nothing wrong with the meal or I would have remembered it!
Since we were with a tour group, breakfast the next morning was buffet style. Like all the hotels we stayed at, it was full Irish and delicious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BWSligo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Carol B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer feedback on the BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel & Leisure Centre, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when your next in Ireland

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

A lovely hotel with very helpful staff. I left my swimsuit in the leisure club and it was posted on to me when it was found. The room and bed were very comfortable and food excellent. Fully recommended

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Carolyn O,

Thank you for your kind comments, we really appreciate the feedback

We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel & Leisure Centre in the near future

co. kildare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Three friends and I visited Sligo for the town's Bridge Congress but were too late to book in to the Radisson Blu where the event was being held. The Best Western is in a great location beside the train station and looks lovely from the outside so we decided to spend the weekend there. The decor of the large reception rooms is very hard on the eye - pattern and colour clashing gaily but homely nonetheless. The Reception staff were very efficient and obliging. We were given two twin rooms and myself and my friend drew the short straw with our room being small and dark with no view from window. However we were under pressure to eat and then play cards so we passed no comment. On our return the room was chilly but there was no way to adjust the temperature so I pulled out an extra blanket and bundled into bed in my socks and hoodie. Next morning I had a shower, the nozzle of which could not be adjusted, so it was like being sprayed by needles and the temperature was just above tepid; the bedroom was still cold; the TV (old style cube) didn't work and the cleaning staff left us with no towels. In fairness when we complained the staff moved us in to a new room straight away which was much better but even at that one has to question why we weren't given the better one when we first arrived. The hotel feels neglected, like there is no-one in charge who greatly cares about her - case in point, the stainless steel bins in the bathrooms still had their Dunnes Stores E8 stickers on them and the overhead light didn't work. Breakfast was fairly basic with tinned fruit rather than fresh and on our second morning one member of staff in particular, was clearing up around us as we ate despite it being only 10.40 (last time for breakfast at weekend being 10.30). We each paid E110 for 2 nights bed and breakfast which I feel was over the odds for a mediocre bedroom and standard breakfast. The hotel has seen better days and while it seemed clean it badly needs to be refurbished. I wont be rushing back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Frenchburg, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel is right in town. You do have to climb up stairs to get to the lobby. The lobby and bar area is beautiful with wood trim and painted ceilings. The lift was very small, sign read it could hold 4 people but it was full with just me, my husband and our luggage. The room was on the small size, it had pretty wooden trim work. The bed was very nice with a down comforter and feather pillows. The bathroom was small. We stayed in room 308. We couldn't get the heat to work, it wasn't really cold but just felt cool. The wifi was suppose to work in the lobby but I didn't have any luck. I even asked the girl in the reception check in area about my settings. She connected it for me long enough to send out one email. When I went down to the lobby the next morning with nothing changed on my laptop, I was not even able to send an email. Couldn't get or stay connected. The young man at the dest said he had been having trouble himself. We ate in the bar. You must place your order at the bar then they will bring it to you. The bar area was very pretty, lots of wood, trim and fine details. It felt very old world. The food was just ok. The menu was lacking, or maybe I was just tired of eating "bar food". The staff done their jobs but none of them seemed real friendly, again maybe I was just tired. We went to the steam room, the hot tub was out of order. I would probably not stay here again. We did get a good nights sleep and the place was clean and charming but I feel it's getting a little worn down. Hot tub out of order and the wifi only available in the lobby area and then it's iffy was a breaking point for me. That was the only way I was able to contact my family back home and that was very important to me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tyme4relaxing,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, with regard to our complimentary wifi you have to log in each time, when you leave one area to go to another you have to re log in, and we are sorry if this wasn't explained properly.

With regard to the heating in your room, the heat can be controlled from the knob on the radiator, our reception automatically send somebody to check any room issues when a guest informs them

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and have taken all your comments on board

Bangor, Co. Down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Owners of this former ' Railway Hotel ' [ once known as the " Great Southern Hotel " ] have wisely, and carefully, retained much of its feeling of former grandeur - beautiful cornices, elaborate ceramic tiles in Bathroom and Toilets, etc. The decor, predominantly purple, with lounge chairs in matching fabrics, may appear rather dated, but in keeping with the overall ' feel ' of an elderly building. Overall, a sense of period charm, and a delightful ambience of spaciousness and reference to a more genteel past. One endearing feature was room doors still opened by keys, attached to large plastic fobs. Another feature which I particularly liked, and which is not often found in more modern hotels, was a clock in my bedroom, enabling me to keep track of time throughout the night. The room itself was of a good size, well equipped, and quiet.

The friendliness of all staff, from smiling Receptionists, to helpful Bar staff and friendly Restaurant waiters and waitresses all added to my feeling welcomed and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
BWSligo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Geoff M,

Thank you for your kind comments, we appreciate your feedback and are delighted you enjoy our old world charm. We endeavour to offer a traditional feel in keeping with the age of the hotel (built in 1928) with the added benefit of modern day services.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel & Leisure Centre

Kindest regards
T.Henry

Been to BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!