“Overrated” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 21 Outdoor Activities in Sligo
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1894, this 18-hole golf course is located under the shadow of famed Banbulben and is considered one of Ireland's great championship links.
Foxford, Ireland
56 attraction reviews
“Overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The course is great for views of the Atlantic, BenBullen and the surrounding country. Number 17 is the most challenging due ti its length. If its not raining and windy expect a good round, otherwise it can be brutal.

Visited July 2013

Tarpon Springs, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“Beautiful course with spectacular views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Indeed one is induced to overconfidence after the first five holes and then it gets much tougher, especially because the wind was stronger. We were provided with enthusiastic and very knowledgeable young caddies, one of them the grandson of the great Cecil Ewing, an Irish champion golfer from the 1920 until the Fifties. The seventh hole is named after him. Or after his profile in stone(see picture).
After the last three challenging finishing holes we had a very nice lunch at the clubhouse.
This course in picturesque Rosses Point became one of my favorites and hope to return.

Visited September 2013
Blackburn
13 attraction reviews
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I took advantage of the 3 course ticket for County Sligo, Enniscrone and Strandhill at some £130 Pounds sterling for the three, what a bargain! The staff in both the pro shop and the bar gave us a warm welcome as did the members. The gentle opening holes lulled me with four opening pars and the blue tees, the West Coast Challenge was on that week, seemed eminently playable for a category one player, despite the wind being, according to a member, about as stiff as it gets.The course does not have the striking dunes of Enniscrone or Carne but neither does it have the weak estuary holes of Enniscrone, which slightly mar another great test. Still it battered me into submission by the end and nevertheless I loved it, which must be the ultimate accolade. It is a must play for the discerning golfer 7000 yards of the blue tees and several holes 7 8 and 17 as tough as it gets. The views of the bay and Ben Bulben are worth the green fee alone on a sunny day like we had. Tough for ladies too unless your a strong ball striker, notwithstanding that it has replaced Enniscrone as my wife's favourite.

Visited August 2013
Virginia
31 attraction reviews
“Nice time the second time around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had played Sligo a few years back on a 3 week golf trip to Ireland. I have to say it wasn't one of my favorite courses. I took some friends over this summer and played Rosses Point for the second time as part of a terrific golf package offered by Mount Falcon Hotel where our group rented cottages. I liked the course a lot better, though my friends tended to like Carne and Enniscrone better. Sligo strikes me as less "Irish" than other courses, perhaps because it is in a resort town. But it's a challenging course with some lovely holes and views and the members are a friendly lot. I will be forever grateful to two of them who pointed us to a pub on the edge of town (can't recall the name, sorry) where we had a really delicious post-round meal. Despite my qualifications, Sligo is a great course and should be a part of any golf trip in this part of Ireland.

Visited July 2013
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
38 attraction reviews
“Never fails to challenge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Gorgeous course....challenging for all levels. The 16th and 17th broke my heart! We played on a beautiful sunny day. It was in immaculate condition. We played with two members who were very friendly. The other members we encountered on the course were very courteous. The food in the restaurant is great as were the staff. Nice pro shop. We will be back.

Visited June 2013