“Nothing less than I expected for the money” 4 of 5 stars

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Armagh Road, Monaghan, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Monaghan
Ireland
“Nothing less than I expected for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

Yes not bad we stayed there on the valentines w/end spa package, food in restaraunt good bit of a basic choice but it was fine only ate there one night. Spa treatments should of been better explained at check in the w/end was a surprise from my other half & I only noticed the vouchers for treatments on the sat afternoon - however the spa done thier best to accomodate us with an appt for the Sun! Room was in the new part of the hotel huge bed, large well stocked bathroom, quiet V clean. There was a residents bar on returning to the hotel on the Sat which was a nice surprise everyone likes a night cap hey! All in all a pleaseant stay thought the bar staff could of been a bit friendlier but the bar food looked Appetising & nicely presented & it was a good busy bar with a nice enough atmosphere in the bar & foyer where there was a one man band playing on the sat night. Hope this helps any prospective visitors I would defo go back & perhaps take my little boy again as i felt it was quite child friendly too.

• Liked — huge bed
  • Disliked — Check in staff could do with a bit better training
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

615 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
N Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

Stayed the weekend 6th to 8th October. We had booked a suite with jacuzzi etc as it was for a special occasion. However the hotel staff waited until we were standing in the hotel lobby before telling us that our room was double booked and laughed it off. I was totally disgusted as had we known this prior to our stay we would have booked alternative accomodation! On booking I had provided my address, email address and contact telephone number AND also had phoned the hotel on Friday afternoon to confirm that we were booked into the suite. The receptionist went and checked and came back saying there was no problem and I informed her that we would require late check in. There was good communication and at any stage I could have been informed of the double booking during this phone call! I would just advise other guests if you are planning a stay here to be very wary if you are booking a suite if you dont want your weekend ruined as ours was! Very very dissapointed.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Drogheda Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

We stayed there week ending 22Sept 06. We were immediately impressed upon arrival, a very spacious lobby and receptionist was very friendly and welcoming. Our room on the fourth floor was spotless and large in comparison to similar graded hotels.
Prior to arrival I had asked the hotel to arrange flowers and wine which were supplied and perfectly presented at a reasonable cost.

The leisure facilities are very good as is the bar with very friendly staff and a reasonable bar food menu.

We ate in the restaurant on two nights. The food was quite good, however the menu is fairly basic and could we feel offer a wider range. An error occured with a restaurant bill whereby we were charged for food supplied to another table, the error was over 30 euro and we only spotted it by accident. However the matter was sorted very efficiently.

Upon arrival home we have now noticed that a higher rate was charged for our stay to what was agreed when booking.

On balance this is a fine hotel and we will return. However beware the overcharging.

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Overcharging and not a wide range of meals on restaurant menu.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

Stayed here last week for one night.
Room 611 overlooking car-park the problem was that the car-park is overun by yobos. There must have been 30 kids in little groups yelling and screaming at each other (as they do) They clearly know the place very well because when after about 2 hrs the Garda drove thru the car-park they all vanished - hiding in nooks and crannys behind/between the sheds at the bottom, then all popped out when the coast was clear. There was no attempt by the staff to move them on which is fair enough I suppose but they should hire security staff to patrol. I did see on guy in a little van nervously drive around very much later when it was quiet.
Anyway despite this the hotel was nice staff were helpful and the room was very clean and modern (flat screen LCD TV!) Would stay here again but would ask for a room not overlooking the rear car park.

• Liked — Service - Room
  • Disliked — Noisy car park
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

We stayed in the hotel as we were attending a wedding, room was very plain, service was ok, food was ok, decor was ok. All in all its not somewhere where you would go if you have to, its not that good!

• Stayed January 2006
northern ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

I won a prize and was given the wonderful opportunity of staying in the Hillgrove Hotel - I had been there once before on a night out - and had enjoyed it then also!
This hotel is brilliant - the receptionist corinna(i think) may us feel very welcome and informed us of everything we needed to know.
We were given the main suite in the hotel and what a view!!!!The bathroom was as big as the bedroom I have at home..we were on the 4th floor and couldnt hear a thing.
Heading to the bar, we got to know the bar staff in no time and would have stayed there all night, had it not been a sunday night, when it was pretty quiet. They were so friendly and what I noticed most of all, was there was all local staff working and on hand to give one knowledge on the local area.
For the food - the restaurant manager seemed a bit unwelcoming, but once we got talking to him, he seemed to relax and managed to smile before we left the restaurant.
If in monaghan - stay in this hotel - its slightly out of the town, which is a good thing, as one does not have the noise of the traffic.

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

This hotel was booked for me by my secretary and so I knew very little about the facilities or hotel in general. My stay was mid week as I was working in the area and my first reaction when entering the hotel was the buzz and atmosphere in the lovely large lobby and main bar. The pleasant lady checked me in and informed me of their bar and restaurant menus. I decided on eating in their main bar and was pleasantly surprised with a quite varied and nicely priced menu. Although there was no leisure facilities, I understand that they are in construction, I would return to the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!