“Nice wedding venue.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice wedding venue.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I was invited to a wedding in the Hillgrove hotel and was very impressed overall. The location is beautiful, as is the decor. Everything is very modern and clean. I did not stay over so I cant comment on the rooms but if they are anything like their function rooms/ reception area then im sure they would be great. When we initially arrived we spent time in the bar which had nice unique furniture and staff were friendly. When the function room was ready and dinner was served I was pleased to see how professional the waiting staff were. Everything arrived and was cleaned promptly. We had two starters which were delicious. My only complaint is that the main course portions are so small! Two pieces of meat accompanied by two scoops of mash and one spoon of vegetables, I honestly dont understand how they could expect this to fill anyone. The gravy also was very watery and didnt taste like gravy at all! That is my only complaint and apart from that everything else was perfect. From reading previous reviews I have noticed that management become quite defensive when they receive any criticism so with all respect please realise this is constructive criticism and not intended to offend! The hotel is excellent apart from this and I had a very enjoyable evening here.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I was on a hen party here at the wekend and we had a great stay , we have a lovely dinner at the hotel while attending the murder mystery night. The rooms were lovely, very clean and spacious, The Food was lovely and everyone on the hen party really enjoyed themselves.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Mazoct1979
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear that your hen party went so well and you enjoyed both the food and murder mystery entertainment as part of your weekend. We hope that you have many more reasons to visit the Hillgrove Hotel in the not too distant future.
Sharon Mcmahon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had an overnight stay on 19th July 2014.
We found the staff very pleasant and informative, the leisure complex was superb and spotless. We had a very spacious and modern bedroom.
Both the restaurant and food was excellent,
We look forward to a return stay at this hotel and can recommend it to anyone.

Tommy & Jennifer

• Stayed July 2014
Wexford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Quick friendly check in. Allocated a ground floor room but asked to be changed, Ciara changed us immediately to a room on the 4th floor which was lovely and spacious and very pleasant indeed. It afforded us a very comfortable nights sleep. Service in the bar was very prompt and staff are very very friendly and accommodating. Food was lovely. Had my hair up styled in the on site hairdressers, would highly rrecommend them...attended a wedding later in the day and it was a great occasion. Service/food excellent.

Overall a lovely Hotel and a credit to the Tourism industry in Ireland.

• Stayed June 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband and 2 kids (aged 3 and 6). Arrived at 1.30 as our email confirmation said check in was at 2pm. Told abruptly that check out was at 3pm on arrival. Spent 2 hours in foyer with 2 restless children before our room was ready at 3.30pm!! Only when checking in then were we told we could've used hotel facilities while waiting!

Our family room was spacious but basic - not modern décor as shown online. Our room was too hot, no air con and so 2 restless nights sleep, windows only open a fraction. We did get a fan from reception but still made no difference! Bring own hairdryer as the ones provided are prehistoric and take hours to dry hair unless you have homer simpson hair style!!!

Swimming pool average size but does have 2 good kiddie pools.

Even though the hotel was fully booked only the bar bistro was open and not the other hotel restaurant so we only had choice of pub food if staying at hotel which was ok but nothing special.

Kids room only vending machines with poker table. Didnt use kids club.

Overall quite disappointed with our trip and not what expected for 4 star hotel!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Amy D
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hillgrove Hotel Leisure & Spa. I am sorry that you were not quite satisfied with your trip. To go through your points: I am sorry that the confirmation letter you were emailed said 2pm, this was an old letter and should not have been sent as check in is from 3pm. As you can appreciate we cannot show all our bedrooms on the website. We don’t state anywhere that the bedrooms have air conditioning. We have had a rather unusual spell of hot weather this year which has both positives and negatives. I will certainly speak to the chef regarding the main hotel restaurant not being opened, however, our Knuttel Bistro serves a range of quality options including Chinese Half Glazed Duck, Tandoori Chicken Salad, Roast Camembert Tartlet, Salmon Salsa Verde. The kids room was fully equipped with lots of free toys and activities, however, a lot of these have been broken, so I do apologise about this. I am sorry that you didn’t avail of the kids club which provides 7 hours of complimentary activities per day and is going down a treat with all the parents. We do hope that you will consider giving us another chance and if you do please contact me directly on Sharon@hillgrovehotel.com.
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went for massages recently. While our massages were fine the facilities there were a little lacking. The relaxation room is really a corridor outside the treatment rooms with incredibly uncomfortable seating. There were no changing facilities offered and my husband used the steam room jacuzzi etc....for which there was an addition charge and they weren't really working very well. Overall an average experience and a little bit disappointing

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear mrscmac2b
I wish to reply to your recent review of our spa facilities. Firstly thank you for your lovely comments about the massage your husband and you both had. To clarify the point you made about the relaxation room. The area you are actually referring to is just the waiting area outside the treatment rooms. The relaxation area is with the thermal suite and is part of facilities which include hydrotherapy pool, herbal sauna, monsoon showers, pedi spas, ice fountain and the relaxation room. There is a charge for using the herbal suite like many other spa hotels, however, you can spend 2 hours in this area and are also given bathrobes, complimentary fruit and fresh water. We do hope that you consider returning and taking full advantage of all our facilities again.
Rostrevor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

this was my first stay here, but it will def not be my last. my wife and I have stayed in many hotels throughout Ireland, but I have to say that this was one of the, if not the cleanest hotel we have been in yet!! the staff from start to finish were very helpful, the food was second to none, and there seems to loads for the kids to do, so we'll have to take them with us next time!!

Room Tip: the mini suites are a must.